Hello there, Newb here, Just got an st185

A

Anonymous

Hello all, I just purchased my very own ST 185.

I have some questions for you though,
First off, in terms of torque split, does the 185 have a front wheel or rear wheel bias? Secondly, is there a way to adjust it/have someone else adjust it? Secondly, is it true that the MR2 turbo had the same kind of engine?

Any answers you can give are much appreciated!

-GripJackal

db

1. The ST185 transfers torque roughly 50/50.
2. This cannot be altered with the stock equipment.
3. The turbo MR2s from 91-95(?) time period did have the same basic setup as the ST185s. However, some of the accessories were in different locations, and not all MR2 designed aftermarket items will work with the ST185.

d1alltrac

like said earlier....our cars use a viscous center LSD which makes it a 50/50 torque split that cant be adjusted...

and our engines are, basically, the same as an MR2 turbo...they both have the 3SGTE, again like said earlier... browse our forum and you will learn alot

oh yeah....welcome to the club!!

theUNYTEDone

welcome, welcome. yeah, the mr2s with the 3S GTE has a much more cramped engine bay compared to the 185s (which isnt much BIGGER, at that) but lots of parts are located in different places. like the MR2's side mount intercooler. whee! i really like mr2's...but i'm an all trac kid. lol

maxaud

d1alltrac":2w37xlbv said:
like said earlier....our cars use a viscous center LSD which makes it a 50/50 torque split that cant be adjusted...

I had the JDM TorSen on mine... is it still 50/50?

maxaud

it was in when I bought the car. It is only engaged when acceleration is apply'd, and not when slowing down. It seem'd to make the rear mount fill a lil' lose. it mix'd w/ my stage 3 clutch made it real easy to get the car sideways. The TorSen only has 13 moving parts so it is said to be more efficient.

CMS-GT4

maxaud":19q9un4w said:
d1alltrac":19q9un4w said:

You mean torsen rear? Only VC made for the center.

No matter what the rear or front are the center will always be 50/50.

maxaud

CMS-GT4":1i50p7v2 said:
maxaud":1i50p7v2 said:
d1alltrac":1i50p7v2 said:

You mean torsen rear? Only VC made for the center.

No matter what the rear or front are the center will always be 50/50.

yeah, my bad.

db

maxaud":33ek99ik said:
db":33ek99ik said:
Torsen is torsen.

huh?

I put "TorSen" because thats how I've seen it spelt everytime I've seen it.
TorSen= Torque Sensing (sp)

You are the first person I've seen spell it like that. Maybe its an Aussie thing? :shrug:

maxaud

maxaud":14p9ssi8 said:
it was in when I bought the car. It is only engaged when acceleration is apply'd, and not when slowing down. It seem'd to make the rear mount fill a lil' lose. it mix'd w/ my stage 3 clutch made it real easy to get the car sideways. The TorSen only has 13 moving parts so it is said to be more efficient.

correction *8 moving parts (not 13)

GripJackal

Okay, now it's time for me to ask the inevitable dumbass newb question, Can we use the E-brake to get our alltracs sidways? Is it safe to do so (mechanically speaking)?