List of 8" woofers that fit the door panels

celicat93

Yeah, the first Celica I ever test drove was a GTS fully loaded, including System 10 But it was an automatic (slooooooow) and rock chipped to hell with some really nasty touch-up's so I passed on it (thank god)

gt4play

2of81":10i0xq6m said:
I have a 8" MB quart mid woofer that fit perfectly. About 2 years ago on ebay they had 8's 4's tweets and crossovers for $300.

I bought the same kit. No cutting required. Sound great.

tweekgt4

here's a little tip to cut the plastic mount to fit bigger magnets...

get a drill bit and a drill.

you can use the drill and carve out the hole needed to fit the new woofers. drill in, and then go around in a circle cutting the plastic away. it sure beats using a hacksaw. a dremel with a drill bit will work, too. a cutting wheel requires too much work.

tweekgt4

92 All-Trac":1c9oqy59 said:
Am I going to need a crossover to hook up different speakers in the door?

if you're goingto put an 8" sub, you will need a some sort of filter to filter out the highs.

tweekgt4

to add to this...

the 8" door sub speaker wiring can be found in the passenger side kick panel (at least in my 91 st185).

you'll should see two sets of wires, some thin and thick ones.

the sub speaker wires should be wrapped in a black tubing (like the cigarette lighter wiring) and the pair you are trying to find is the thick wires.

look for a solid blue with gray dots and a solid light green with gray dots.

GT-Four

tweekgt4":22rmuy41 said:
The GTSs came pretty loaded. They pretty much have all the options a standard ST185 would have except of course the awd 3sgte.

Leather, sunroof, system 10, widebody, climate control, fogs, power driver seat, power mirrors/windows, power antenna, 3 piece spoiler, cruise...

Did I leave anything else out?

oh wait.. the GTS does not have the steering column pop up.

The GT-S has the auto tilt away steering column as well. So does the GT. Unsure about the ST.

daveryan

FWIW, I don't have the exact measurement :doh: but here's my replacement next to the stocker

woof2.jpg

Dayton DC200-8 on left, stocker on right

The Dayton speaker shown has a mounting depth of 3.75 inches, and the plastic had to be cut to fit it.

So stock is maybe 3-3.5 inches :shrug:

Toxygene

Hey Daveryan does the stock speaker have any specs written on it like impedance, or even sensitivity? Also, am I to understand that even though the amp is powering those Subs that the amp has no internal crossover and all the speakers are pretty much being given a full range of frequencies?

daveryan

My stock subs are at my dad's house - far away. I always assumed the stock amp did have internal crossovers - at least for the subs. I think the F/R mids and tweeters have external, passive crossovers, since all 8 of those drivers work when you use the hidden non-system 10 harness, which only has 4 connections - front L/R and rear L/R. I can verify the stock subs do not have any passive crossovers mounted next to, or on them. You shouldn't need to add a crossover if you are just replacing the subs. If you replace the amp however...

Anyway, if you're unsure about high/mids in the stock subs, just play some appropriate material and stick your ear down there!

goldfish

toayoztan":2ktxdmp3 said:
I dont' think it was answered yet, but..has anyone measured or knows the stock mounting depth?

Bryan

I'm replacing mine with the newer Kicker SSMB8 (which i got for $94 on Froogle). I've got the stockers sitting on the table here and the mouting depth is just a hair under three inches. My new Kicker SSMB8s are just under 2.25 inches...though the magnet is much larger in diameter. I am still installing them, but I bought a 360W 2 channel amp and 4 gauge wiring kit as well along with a bunch of Dynamat Xtreme. I also got a component set of 4" and 3/4" tweaters from MB Quart and a new Pioneer head unit that puts out 27 wats RMS (60 watts peak). Hopefully this wil be a good update to the 15 year old sound. :)

goldfish

Denver_whiteST185":1qgo11er said:
How did the Kicker SSMB8 fit. Did you have to modify anything? wires?

Like the old RMB8 said earlier, you have to cut out the plastic from the speaker holder in the center which isn't a big deal. A couple minutes with a dremmel and it is done. I mounted them last night in the car and I had to take a dremmel with a cutting wheel to the bottom metal piece just below the speaker on the door. I took pictures but dont have them loaded to my site yet. It was minimal amount of cutting and isn't structural to the door at all.

As far as wiring goes, I guess you could use the old wiring, but I'm not. if you are going with speakers that require as much power as the SSMB8's, you should proably use an amp...which means you wont be using any of the stock wiring harness for the stereo. So i ran a new wire to the door speakers which is a thicker wire than stock. I actually cut out all the wires in the car that go from the cd player to the stock amp....they are useless. There are many wires there and none are needed anymore. I do plan to use the stock wiring harnes for the tweaters and the rear speakers, but the rest I'm going to re-do because it will be much simpler. I guess that is easier for me to say because I have my whole car gutted right now, minus the heaadliner and dashboard, because I'm also putting down Dynamat on the doors/trunk to hopefully make the car a bit quieter inside. :)

I haven't powered them up yet because I only have one door installed, but I'm not discouraged at all at the amount of work to install these. Compared to the engine bay on alltracs, this was easy ;-)