how to upgrade 165 turbo/ic to 2 gen turbo/205ic ** UPDATED*

88st165

wow i didnt even think of checking hardware stores, i checked just about every auto parts store in my area and i even went to toyota to try and find longer ones but no luck...
i am currently working on gathering pieces to make the feed and return line braided and doing away with the stock steel lines really just to be on the safe side, plus i am going to go with the ct27 and i dont want to risk damaging it.

88st165

well all ace had was exhaust studs the same length as the stock ones so that didnt work out. i removed the oil lines so i could have room to mock up the turbo and manifold and downpipe and without that spacer there would be alot more fitment issues to deal with. first would obviously be that the wastegate arm would hit the banjo bolt that is on the oil filter housing, then the wastegate actuator would hit the coolant lines, and also if you had a aftermarket downpipe that would hit the oil filter. that spacer really does save you alot of trouble.

you can see there is barely any room between the d/p (aussie) and oil filter and this is with the spacer:.... also requires you to bend the dip stick tube alittle to clear the d/p

this is the best pic i could get of the w/g actuator arm and the banjo bolt on the oil filter housing, you cant really tell but there is just enough clearence between them:

more pics:

really close to the coolant lines:

saved_1992

that sucks about the studs

did you try to find a metric threaded rod ? google it and you will see what it is :D

good pics

saved_1992

88st165":j8w1pvqm said:
saved_1992":j8w1pvqm said:
that sucks about the studs

did you try to find a metric threaded rod ? google it and you will see what it is :D

good pics

http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/metric/ ... ic_rod.htm

^i called and they wanted $68!!!!! for 3ft...... WTF![/quote]

usual alltrac prices :cry: , buy it use what you need and sell the rest to the others that need the studs :wink: also check the hardware stores some sell threaded rod also

klue

im almost done my swap. just waiting on my gaskets. I didnt have to buy any flage"spacer" or longer studs. ive got a secret :D
after im done i got pics

d1alltrac

klue":1pu5qoi2 said:
im almost done my swap. just waiting on my gaskets. I didnt have to buy any flage"spacer" or longer studs. ive got a secret :D
after im done i got pics

interesting...i want to know what this secret is

88st165

klue":7ljw5147 said:
after im done i got pics

oh now you tell us!!!!!!!! :x

:D

saved_1992

klue":3rpqnz5a said:
after im done i got pics

I feel another write up coming on this swap :D

klue

i ordered the only gaskets left in the country so its taking forever to get them. so by the end of the week i will unveil the "secret sauce"
haha

88st165

i wish you said something earlier because i am too far into gathering all the materials to really do it any other way :cry:

:shoots: $$

klue

well id like to start doing the write up but i took about 30 pictures, and no where to host them anyone got idea?

88st165

well i finally finished after gathering all the parts and having a day off to finish up all loose ends.... sorry for so many pics...

Lines and flange from rabidchimp.com..... great quality!

longer studs cut from 3ft threaded rod and manifold spacer

KO racing oil feed adapter for st165.... excellent work!

KO racing oil pan adapter
modified lines from rabidchimp.com because i measured too long because i did not have the adapters at the time
engine bay shot

shot from under the car

battery in the trunk (just set up temporary just to see if it started and ran good, wiring will be cleaned up and hidden)

thats all i got, sorry for so many pics... i havent had a chance to drive it yet to see how well the twin entry works or made a difference... ill report back when i get a chance.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

saved_1992

man those adapters and lines are outstanding :D

looks like you finally found an answer on what to use for longer studs :wink:

great job

88st165

yeah Aaron at rabidchimp.com was very helpful and responded very fast to my emails regarding any questions i had. great customer service and Aaron made the lines to any length i wanted for a great price, way cheaper then if i were to make them myself. also the flange was great quality and cheaper than having the stock flange lines cut off and drilled and tapped by myself or a machine shop.

Kris at KO racing was also very helpful and has great customer service. the adapters are a work of art and the quality is top notch, of course the alltrac community already knew that.

p.s. i am not endorsing either company or trying to sell their products. i am simply stating my experience with them which happen to be an excellent experience and would recomend both rabidchimp.com and KOracing if you needed anything fabricated.

thanks for the compliment saved, some might have done this swap alot cheaper but i wanted to do it like this because i thought this might be better in the long run, everything fit perfectly and i didnt have to guess at bends for force anything into place. its pretty much for piece of mind, plus i am going to run the ct27 hopefully in the near future so i didnt want a possible kinked line to damage a new turbo.

88st165

what are you guys using to brace the turbo?? b/c i know the st165 turbo brace is no way matching up to the twin entry. also i have the ko d/p brace but that too does not work b/c it is too short about 1/2".... im currently fabbing/hacking up the st165 brace so it will line up with the twin entry bolt hole along with welding more metal onto the ko brace so it will reach the hole on the block.