Please name your brand of transmission fluid

goldfish

alltracshoak":ilir24h0 said:
goldfish":ilir24h0 said:
I use Amsoil. I'm a full Amsoil believer. I had some grinding...put in the new stuff and haven't had any problems since (1.5 years ago). I've got 160k on it now. I put it in the Tranny and the rear diff. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

I just pulled the engine and will be buying more of the same to put it in when i put it all back together. I use Amsoil everything in my car now. Love it! I go 6k miles between changes and the oil still feels great. They make high quality filters and I will be putting on their remote filtration kit with a fine filter when I put the car back together.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

For NA cars, they have an oil that they guarantee for 35k miles/1 year. My father put that in his new Avalon and left it in for 14 months and 29000 miles. He has the fine filter kit on. After the 14 months, the oil wasn't black - just a dark brown and it still felt like the day he put it in. I dont know if you have ever felt a crappy oil after long use...it feels like water. This stuff still felt like oil. It has a high boiling point. They make a turbo formulated version for motor oil.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Okay, i guess i got a bit off topic - but needless to say, i like them and dont plan to change. If you know someone with a distributor account (like myself) you can get it drop shipped to you in usually 2 days - at a decent discount to what is listed on that site. i got the distributor account because i buy enough stuff to save money that way. i dont actually distribute, but i do favors for friends and family...

when you switched to amsoil, does it still grinds?

Nope...it drives great! I dont have any problems with the tranny.

rightrac

I am a big fan of the synchomesh but this time around i am going to try BG ultra guard 75 90 , i'll report back on how it goes.

alltracshoak

cool.let me know so ill try out something. it seems like my cable bushings are worn out. im going to try that first than tranny fluid. let me know how your bg ultra guard goes. keep me updated.

ruffneck

I use Castrol Syntrax 75w90, seems pretty damn good to me....pricey though...specifically recommended for "Celica GT4" on the back panel of the container...can't go wrong with that 8)

MR2TuRbZ

maroon_185":zp3ex5ic said:
I gots pennzoil synchromesh, solved my 2nd gear grind problem.

+10894508520485

this stuff has done wonders on my MR2... i cant wait to throw it in the alltrac

CodingParadox

Yeah, James and I have blown 5 transfer cases between us over the last 2 years using non-recommended gear oil - GM synchomesh. We've both switched back to normal 80W-90 now. I'm using some synthetic stuff that came in a purple bottle but can't remember the name of right now.

greg

I use Castrol syntrax as was recommended for the GT4, and was developed primarily for it (When castrol was in to rallying GT4 grp A). :)

grip addict

I'm using some synthetic stuff that came in a purple bottle but can't remember the name of right now.

royal purple?

if you guys are blowing transfer cases using syncromesh (shh keep this on the DL we don't want to start sounding like dsm's :lol: ) what do you guys think about a blend between the syncromesh and the stock stuff? i'm going to be putting down about 270-300 awhp, and i'd like to keep it pretty reliable, but i've got the occasional gear grind, and first doesn't go in when i'm moving unless i revmatch. this might be a good solution...

CodingParadox

I don't know. Personally, I'm more than happy to have a less well shifting transmission and stop blowing em. I blew my first tranny on 12psi on a stock CT26, just going around a hard corner (I was on pacific raceway, through turn 2, a 60mph sweeping left-handed,) so I think doing anything rough with light tranny fluid is bad.

I'm also sick as hell of pulling my damn engine. :)

Rallly

Can't decide if I should use Pennzoil Syncromesh.. just wrote to Pennzoil and they said they don't recommend I use it in my 91 Alltrac..

yyonline

I got the official Toyota gear oil. Came in 1 liter tin cans with Japanese writing on them, so it must be good stuff, right? Well, it was certainly expensive stuff. It shifts better than what the previous owner had in there, which was supposedly a mix of Mobil1 gear oil and Synchromesh.

Old thread, but thought I would chime in. In my son's two ST185's, we run only Toyota Gear Oil Super, the special oil for hypoid & synchromesh composite transaxles, Toyota P/N 08885-02106. It is available, but costly (about $25/liter). But it is a an oil that isn't too slippery & corrosive to the synchro's, get has the characteristics of GL-5 hypoid gear oil to a large degree. Most oils favor one or the other - this one is a hybrid that fits the middle - which is what the ST185's originally came filled with.