Turbos, (newbish question)

GripJackal

Hey there, Gripjackal here,

I'm curious about sequential turbos, and I'm curious, is it possible/advisable to set up a twin turbo system? I know a guy who took the turbos off a JDM b-spec Legacy engine and isn't doin anything to them, (to my knowledge)

Would I be able to set up a system involving one of the B-spec turbos to spool at the lower RPMS till the larger stock turbo hit boost threshold? (having them both going) Who is Kaizer Soze? What do I need to to to set up a set of Sequential turbos? Will i need to upgrade my Intercooler? Will I need a new hood (like RC or EVO style?) Also What is the max Boost the 3SGTE and stock turbo can take?

sorry for the long post, but I like vroom. And as my friend and mentor once said: "Boost is the ultimate drug."

d1alltrac

GripJackal":22q3xkbw said:
Who is Kaizer Soze?

:lol: thats pretty random, but i did really like that movie

anyway, i dont really think there would be too much benefit from that setup. it would be very complex and we really dont have very bad lag anyway.

DangerViking

Honestly the biggest problem you'll have is that our cars just don't have the room for that kind of stuff. A couple people have brought it up as an interesting idea, but once you get into the cost of fabbing everything up, moving everything around so that you might have room for everything, etc, it's just not worth it until you get into very high HP, and even then there are better platforms for that kind of setup (Supra TT comes to mind). Unless you have a ridiculously built motor (and probably even then), just getting a KO Racing Street Brawler will get you everything you need turbo-wise, and in most cases of near-stock (3" open exhaust, straight intake, minor mods, etc.) you'll likely pop the motor before you run out of turbo potential :)

A general rule is up to 300hp, mostly stock is possible with enough safety mods, around 300-350hp is the crossover to built motor, seriously upgraded turbo, custom manifolds, etc.

DangerViking

depends on how good your engine is :) With a good compression/leakdown test, the consensus seems to be around 12psi, I wouldn't suggest going any higher than that without a) some sort of knock detection (i.e. Knocklite) or a good intercooler and/or water injection setup. Basically, you can go higher (I've seen people going as high as 18... wouldn't recommend it though) but it's a crapshoot. You could be fine, or you could blow something up the first time you boost hard.

MetalliKAT97

d1alltrac":vhkbblj2 said:
GripJackal":vhkbblj2 said:
Who is Kaizer Soze?

:lol: thats pretty random, but i did really like that movie

anyway, i dont really think there would be too much benefit from that setup. it would be very complex and we really dont have very bad lag anyway.

lack of room as well.....or at least I think so I would like to see that setup in an alltrac engine bay....you would have to take out a lot of accesories to be able to even get your hands in there to mess around.

GripJackal

thank you very much for all the supportive info. You guys rock. At this point, I'm thinking of maaaaybe giving it a shot just as an Everest of sorts. :lol:
I think the sequential turbos may help in my hairpins, cause I allways seem to fall out of boost.

GMan

> GripJackal
> Location: Monterey CA.
> Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:43 am
> Post subject: Turbos, (newbish question) Reply with quote
> Hey there, Gripjackal here,

Hi there.

> I'm curious about sequential turbos, and I'm curious,
> is it possible/advisable to set up a twin turbo system?

Sequential no. Twins possible.

http://www.madpsi.net/ProjectMR2.htm

I hear the kit is not longer available though. :-(

> What do I need to to to set up a set of Sequential turbos?

If you have to ask, you cannot afford it. :)

> Also What is the max Boost the 3SGTE and stock turbo can take?

8-11 psi is stock. People have boosted up to 14psi stock.
What is 'safe' varies on tune fuel and air temps. .

> sorry for the long post, but I like vroom.
> And as my friend and mentor once said: "Boost is the ultimate drug."

You ever meet any Rich drug addicts ?
Speed will Cost U for the High too. :-}

Regards;

GripJackal

You ever meet any Rich drug addicts ?
Speed will Cost U for the High too. :-}

nope, my friend was piss ass broke, but he had a 3 rotor (not sure about engine code etc.) in his AE86. *laughs his ass off* and he's the original owner too. In actuality he reccomended the ST185 to me.

Toxygene

You need to answer a few questions for yourself.
What do you want to do with the car? Daily driver, weekend racer, Auto-X, Drag racing?

Then you need to look at your budget and what is possible with your budget.

Can you take the car and have it done in a few months or are you going to have to spread out your costs over the course of a couple years.

I looked at that twin/sequential turbo setup and I doubt that even if it was in production that you'd be able to fit it in an AllTrac.

You can certainly try and you are free to do whatever you'd like. It's just that most people have found it to be more economical to go with a single turbo setup.

If I were you I'd actually call a Turbo manufacturer like Garret or Turbonetics as they usually can give you better technical reasons than we can what is the best way to go to acheive your goals.

Oh and yes.. make a goal for yourself. What is your goal? Just to do it? To have a car with no lag that will be a great at Auto-Xs? To have a very fast drag car?