Upgraded wastegate and boost settings

allblackalltrac

Ok so I think I might have an upgraded wastegate on my car. The guy I bought it from didn't mention anything about it when I purchased the turbo from him so I dont know...
When I did the swap and got her running the boost hit 14-15psi! Thats with the stock ECU and a Greddy BCC, no MBC install at that point. I figured with the BCC the turbo was left to make boost naturally given the mods I have...
I install the MBC and crank it up to 17psi - WOW! After a few days I thought to myself that that probablly isn't such a safe figure to be running on a stock HG. I turn it down, but it still boosts at 14-15psi...and I have the screw wound all the way in!
So my question is this, if the wastegate is upgraded to open at 14-15psi even if I set the EBC/MBC to 8psi will the WG override the MBC/EBC setting?
Sorry if this seems confusing...thats cause it is, I read it over and Im confused now too, lol.

RedCelicaTRD

If the wastegate is upgraded you wont be able to go lower. The boost controller can not lower the boost lower then what the wastegate is set for.

allblackalltrac

Wayne

Thanks, I figured as much...thought it might be the MBC I made but I installed it on a friends Trac and it worked fine. So it would appear that it is an upgraded WG, which would make sence cause the guy I bought it from went all out on the turbo upgrade.

Chris

Its a twin entry CT26 with a To4e 46 trim cold side, stock hot side but with a 10* clip, turbo has port matching threw out as does the manifold. Thermal wraped KO racing 2.5" DP, high flow cat, 2.5" piping, no res., straight threw design muffler (MagnaFlow). Gutted T-VIS, port matched intake and T-VIS plate, straight intake tube, ITG air filter. STG2 head, stock cams, stock TM ATA IC. Sard catch can, AC delete, TB coolant delete, PS delete, FP up mod, TT FP, DYI MBC, BCC, USDM ECU, no egr or charchol canister.

Next on the list of mods is E-Manage, EBC, J&S, FPR, WI, TM WTA IC, GE INT. cam, Fidenza cam gears, Greddy BOV, oil cooler and filter re-location, aluminum rad w/ twin electric fans, lightend fly and SPEC STG2 clutch, in no particular order :smokes: