this is really a newb Q, coming from an old guy...LoL!

theUNYTEDone

OKAY, so i'm on my quest for 300AWHP...and have quite a good idea how to get there (old school rally master for a stepdad)...heres my current setup (performance mods only)

-3" turbo back exhaust (SSAC DP), N1 muffler
-BayAreaAT FMIC kit, 2.5" piping
-straight intake with HKS mushroom filter
-52 trim CT26 (100-ish miles)

i'm pretty sure that's all, actually...i've got gauges in right now, and need some small time tuning to be done. so far, i was thinking something along the lines of:

-SB kit from KO (or ATS kit) but leaning more towards SB
-256 cams
-adj. cam gears
-upgraded fuel system?
-upgraded ignition components?

along with this will be a rebuilt motor (pistons, H beam rods, etc...)
also, since my motor will be out, a new clutch and flywheel will also be in order.

any input/reactions? any OTHER things i should look into, such as an EMS?

toayoztan

For starters, i'll tell you what I believe to be unnecessary in your mod list. You don't need the SB kit and you don't need a rebuilt bottom end (pistons and rods). The stock internals will handle just fine. As for the turbo, go for something like the ct20b/ct27, it'll be cheaper and get you the 300hp you'll want.

Upgrading things like the fuel/ignition components, you'll want to do (550cc injectors I believe will do, but i may be off with a walbro 255/supratt fuel pump). The FMIC wasn't really needed either, but it does help (perhaps one of BayAreaAT's TMIC kits would have done the job). A boost controller is a must, some good tuning, and you should have it with your current mods. Definitely don't forget the HG.

Oh, a VPC of some sort would be more practical/feasible than getting an EMS, if you can source one up.

I haven't reached 300hp, so i don't know what it takes EXACTLY, but i do know you don't need some of what you plan to do.

"coming from an old guy..", how old are you?? Old or not, we all need to start somewhere! As long as you're starting :wink:

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

well i'll keep my age a secret for now...but old in terms of being on the board...but anyway, i tihnk the internals are needed (ive discovered through maintenance that previous owners abused my car)...and id like to have the freshness of new products, you can never know when old ones will faulter...but i suppose the CT27 sounds like a good idea. definitely cheaper...have you heard the KO clip of LOKI during startup and rev? VERY nice...and as for the VPC you were talking about...could you clarify what it is as opposed to an EMS?

toayoztan

theUNYTEDone":2rjanxi5 said:
well i'll keep my age a secret for now...but old in terms of being on the board...but anyway, i tihnk the internals are needed (ive discovered through maintenance that previous owners abused my car)...and id like to have the freshness of new products, you can never know when old ones will faulter...but i suppose the CT27 sounds like a good idea. definitely cheaper...have you heard the KO clip of LOKI during startup and rev? VERY nice...and as for the VPC you were talking about...could you clarify what it is as opposed to an EMS?

EMS replaces the ECU completely. VPC (vane pressure converter) just rids the AFM (which is always a nice thing to do). The VPC basically "learns" from the AFM, and after it learns, the AFM can be removed and the VPC is then used instead.

Internals are optional, like i said, it's not needed. However, if you suspect abuse (which these things can stand), and have the money for it, by all means get it done. Otherwise, even with some abuse, bearing replacement and perhaps shot peen the rods are all that's needed. Obviously you'll want to clean up the pistons too.

No i haven't seen the video either, i'll check it out in a bit. But yeah, keep in mind that CT27, definitely a more practical option for you!

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

i was reading about the CT27 on ATS' site, and their test runs were on 22psi, 17, etc...is 22 psi reliable for daily driving? i believe ive forgotten to mention that i'd like 300 DAILY hp...lol

Conan

toayoztan":2eg4tolc said:
As for the turbo, go for something like the ct20b/ct27, it'll be cheaper and get you the 300hp you'll want.
I don't think any of them can do reliable 300 HP at the wheels without too much stress. I'd go for the SB46 and end up with something a little more than 300 ;) And yeah, you have to go stand-alone engine management + aftermarket fuel delivery to get things sorted out.

SuperWhite92

turbo4wd":3vjrd2nv said:
theUNYTEDone":3vjrd2nv said:
but old in terms of being on the board...

January 2006 is old? Of have you been bouncing around under different names?

I think he means "old" in terms of being "not new"

Those of us who still bitch about the new color scheme and who still remember the yahoo group are "old"

turbo4wd

SuperWhite92":eaxcy8e5 said:
Those of us who still bitch about the new color scheme and who still remember the yahoo group are "old"

yes.. the original gt4 yahoo group.. not version 2.0..

ahh the good ol' days.. LOL :D

Austen_gt4

turbo4wd":37072gqk said:
SuperWhite92":37072gqk said:

yes.. the original gt4 yahoo group.. not version 2.0..

ahh the good ol' days.. LOL :D

i miss the old day's..lol

theUNYTEDone

SuperWhite92":364shptf said:
turbo4wd":364shptf said:
theUNYTEDone":364shptf said:
but old in terms of being on the board...

January 2006 is old? Of have you been bouncing around under different names?

I think he means "old" in terms of being "not new"

:p i bought my car 9 days before becoming a member, FRIDAY jan 13, 2K6...basically knew NOTHING about it, and look now...hehe

but back to on topic...the ct27 wouldnt be reliable at that pressure for very long eh?

toayoztan

Well I agree if you want daily driver, i'd go with SB 46trim then. You could use their ROM tune, etc. you'd have to just ask them and look into it more a bit.

Bryan

db

ROM tuning is basically when someone cracks into the stock ECU and reprograms the fuel and ignition maps. So everything works like stock, except the maps are changed for better performance.

However, unless you have the ROM tuner working directly on your car, they can only program the ROM to the best of their ability depending on what modifications you have told them about.

Skip the 256 cams. 264s still work great for daily driving, and cost less. The 256 cams from HKS actually cost more than both the 264s and the 272s.

Running the stock fuel system at 300 awhp is really a bad idea. 550s, a larger flowing fuel pump, and an aftermarket FPR are probably the minimum requirements for that power level.

Forget the VPC, its really outdated, and over priced, not to mention discontinued.

Most of the 300 hp dynos with the CT27 are also on race gas. A T3/T4, or TD06 is probably your minimum for 300 hp daily driven power.

theUNYTEDone

mkay...so from what i've gathered thusfar...upgrading my fuel system, and getting my turbo upgrade will do the trick? BayAreAT recommended the hydra nemesis system, but how simple is that to use? if possible, i'd like to maybe use just the ROM tune...basically for that, one jus gives the seller the list of mods, right? and then from there they calibrate everything accordingly?

d1alltrac

theUNYTEDone":2dbz8mlh said:
mkay...so from what i've gathered thusfar...upgrading my fuel system, and getting my turbo upgrade will do the trick? BayAreAT recommended the hydra nemesis system, but how simple is that to use? if possible, i'd like to maybe use just the ROM tune...basically for that, one jus gives the seller the list of mods, right? and then from there they calibrate everything accordingly?

you have the basic idea of the ROM tune, i think ATS is supposed to be working on ROM tunes for the SB46 too.

i guess i dont quite qualify as "old"....i remember the old color scheme (much better) but i dont even know about the old yahoo groups,

GMan

> toayoztan
> Bryan
> Location: Oklahoma City, OK USA
> Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:31 am
> EMS replaces the ECU completely.
> VPC (vane pressure converter) just rids the AFM

Right there.

> The VPC basically "learns" from the AFM, and after it learns,
> the AFM can be removed and the VPC is then used instead.

Nope. The VPC uses a chip, pre-programmed for the engine and tune of the car.
If you have the appropriate burner, for the chip; you Can make one.
But the VPC does not learn. Very much like the ATS ROM tune, it is static.
There are chips out there for stock, 550, or 720 injectors.
Aaron may be able to tune a VPC on a dyno to for a custom tune ?

It is Great if you just want to get rid of the AFM and go a bit
further on tuning, but do not want ( cannot afford?) to spend Money$ on tuning
a stand alone. They can be hard wired or you can find a harness
and just plug it in. A nice addition is the GCC to fine tune fuel vs rpm.

New VPCs No longer available, but deals come up on used models.

> Internals are optional, like i said, it's not needed.

Well we agree there

Regards;
-------------------------------------------