How much work do you do on your own car?

How much work do you do on your own all-trac

• Weak Sauce. i let my wallet do the work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beginner. oil change, spark plugs, etc..

• Intermediate. Brakes, suspension, turbo swap etc..

• Advanced. Engine swap/ clutch job etc..

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Jedi. Engine rebuilding, EMS wiring guru etc

• Total voters

InitialD93

jesus... before i had the 165 i was probably only a 2-3.... now im a good solid 4 going on 5... but i guess thats why i got the damn thing... ive learned a lot and its all been worth while. Going to NADC (nashville auto diesel college) in Feb with Scandinavian Link so i should come out of that with some good training and be set up for a great career :smokes:

and by God's grace one of the All-tracs will be driving by this weekend, maybe 2 :wink:

Griffin

Degree in Automotive Service Technolody
ASE Master Certified
ASE L1 advanced engine performance certified
Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician certified
12 years in the industry

Call me Obi Wan :D
(Yoda would have to have an automotive engineering degree)

TomsGT4

Well I've had every panel off on the interior (including the ceiling material), done the bodywork & painting, R&R the entire rear subframe, and rebuilding an engine here & there as the $$ comes in.
Don't consider myself a Jedi though. One day when I get a stand alone & start tuning, maybe then.
And yeah this is been said before but you have to at least be an intermediate, have really deep pockets, or be very lucky & drive like grandma :) to own this car.

Griffin

Stubble":jse4kwqc said:
Griffin,
which one of those did you learn the most from?

Definitely the degree program. The certifications are test & experience based proof of competency stuff, not a class in themselves. Well, actually the Toyota MDT test is a bit of a learning experience usually, but only a couple things a year. Its a bitch of a test - takes from 15 - 40 hrs to finish depending on how good you are

jzz30

im a jedi too! maybe Yoda? :p :lol: i have done most everything, started when i was 12 with my brother helping out rebuilt a whole motor and did a little automajic trans work with clutch packs and stuff before i got my licence. TIG welder by trade and hobby machinist also enables me to fabricate IC piping, exhaust, most anything actually. also can do minor body work, and i can spray better than most paint shops that i have seen. and i have done many an engine swap, so fairly comfortable with wiring. in the past 10 years that i have been doing this i have collected many different tools that small shops wouldnt have.

124Spider

Interesting poll. If one assumes that those responding form an accurate cross-section of All-Trac owners (probably rash, but it's the best we can do), the vast majority do substantially all their own work. If this is accurate, that bodes well for the ability of a significant number of these to stay on the road for a long time.

EricGT4

Griffin":3k77z8rx said:
ASE Master Certified
12 years in the industry

Damn. Well you are only one state away from me. Im going to have to start coming down for help :)

Griffin

EricGT4":2f2w11gd said:
Griffin":2f2w11gd said:
ASE Master Certified
12 years in the industry

Damn. Well you are only one state away from me. Im going to have to start coming down for help :)

Sure - always glad to see another alltrac.

Simba

I do everything whenever possible, and the limiting factor is usually space and/or equipment (e.g. I don't do my own paint as I don't have a booth, but I do body work and have painted cars, etc).

Started pulling wrenches with my dad when I was around 12 or so. Four Supras, two Trucks, a few 'vettes, various exotica, and one AT later, there isn't anything left I won't do or haven't done.

There are certainly things I'd rather have a shop do, such as doing a clutch or PS pump on an AT, as my time and working fingers is worth more than typical shop rates. :)

theUNYTEDone

bleah, now i feel like the noob...only 17, and no real engine experience until my 185 ownership....then i was totally IMMERSED in everything! done pretty much all the do-able work for someone of my caliber (not a very HIGH one)...but stepdad walked me through everything that was a little iffy...(hes an old school grandmaster rally driver)hehe...but! the quest for knowledge never ends.

xeladur

theUNYTEDone":3lancyb2 said:
bleah, now i feel like the noob...only 17, and no real engine experience until my 185 ownership....then i was totally IMMERSED in everything! done pretty much all the do-able work for someone of my caliber (not a very HIGH one)...but stepdad walked me through everything that was a little iffy...(hes an old school grandmaster rally driver)hehe...but! the quest for knowledge never ends.

I am right there with ya :D I am barly halfway. But, school and work make for no car time. I have plent of peeps to show me how to rebuild engine ect. just need the time and $$$

wizzards581

im just so far motor swaping, clutch, etc... basic bolt ons. im looking for rebuilding in the future. i cant afford tools yet.