Silly Idea... I think...

CodingParadox

So a thought occurred to me a while back and I dismissed it as silly to start with, but the more I think about it, it seems like it'd work.

If you extended the turbo shaft out beyond the compressor housing and then hooked up an electric motor to it, could you in theory then stick a button on your dash to "pre-spool" the turbo before a launch? It might not be able to spool incredibly high, but anything helps over zero, and that idea seems a lot easier to implement than a stutterbox.

I realize it's probably just a dumb idea, but I'm curious as to why exactly it's a dumb idea. Bring on the flames. :D

MrWOT

Yeah, it's a dumb idea, but it's okay we all have them occasionally :D :wink:

It wont work because the turbine needs to be around 100,000 rpm before you see boost. Without a complex and VERY expensive gear drive system, you wont be able to do it since the motor wouldn't spin that high. Also, you would need a clutch to disengage the motor when the turbine is driven by exhaust gas, or else you would get parasitic drag from the motor.

There actually is a system that uses a motor to drive the compressor portion of a turbo though, that's exactly what a centrifugal supercharger is :) Compressor half of a turbo, with a belt powered gear drive on the other side.

CodingParadox

Ah, I didn't realize that turbos spun at 100k RPMs.

Yeah, I know about centrifugal belt-driven SCs, I'm just trying to think of some way to get the benefits of a turbo with the once in a while benefit of a supercharger if you want it. :)

But yeah, spinning up to 100k RPMs will be something of a challenge. Well, that explains that. Thanks. :)

furpo

also it takes quite a bit of power to drive a 500+ cfm compressor to 10+psi above atmospehre. you would need a very heavy motor to do it. if you are worried about it try a 25-50 hp nos kit or an anti lag or a launch controller. even free reving i can get about 6psi boost so the turbo is doing something.

roger

CodingParadox

For one, I'll never ever stick NOS in my car... Far as I'm concerned, it's about the stupidest thing one could ever do.

For another, this was just an amusing idea that trickled across my head. I really don't care at all about actually implementing it.

Though I kinda wanan know how you can get 6psi free revving. I'm pretty sure I'll redline before I get any real boost. Though, I haven't tried it because free revving to redline is dumb as hell.

furpo

yes it is dumb. then again i am prepared to fix things. i launch my car off the limiter with my foot flat to the floor. i don't make a habbit of doing it. i don't race the gt4 very often. i have a mini that i race.

i had a similar idea to you a while ago but instead of an electric motor i was going to use a two stroke engine to run a blower till i found out how big the engine had to be. well done on thinking out side the box. every now and again you will come up with something that works that no one knew about.

with the nos a lot of proven cars use it for spooling a big turbo. i was suggesting it as imo a better option. just trying to help out.

roger

CodingParadox

Yeah... Wish I had money to fix shit when it broke like that. :)

NOS is just too dangerous... Never gonna mess with it, even though I know its proven performance benefit. I'm out to have fun, not risk killing myself.

alltracman78

NOS isn't really dangerous. Unless you set it up stupid. Just like a gun. If you are careful around it, it's safe, but if you are careless, watch out.

SnowDRiFT

guns dont kill people, dangerous minorities do!

same applies to nitrous and stupid ricers who dont know what they are doing....

CodingParadox

It's still a dangerously explosive substance sitting inside your car in a spot usually far more explosive than your gas tank. This is my understanding, anyway.

furpo

nitious oxide is not explosive in any way shape or form. think of it as compressed air but with slightly different ratios than the atmosphere. about 33% oxygen compared to about 20% oxygen in the atmosphere. nitrous oxide does not give you more power by injecting it into your engine. it allows you to make more power by allowing you to burn more fuel because it has a higher oxygen content than the atmoshere. this why nos kits are rated in horsepower amounts. they give the potential to add x amount of power. they never do add this much power because you have to run an engine rich so there is fuel going in that does nothing but take up room. there are a number of other reasons aswell.

remember it is not the size of your gun that matters nor where you aim it, it is the size of the bang that matters. am i right girls 8) 8) :smokes: :D :oops: ?

roger

CodingParadox

I know it's not the NOS itself. But you have something that burns way faster than air sitting there, in compressed form. If your car catches on fire for any reason, you're pretty fucked, it seems. Please tell me if I'm wrong here.

furpo

a nos bottle should have a shut off on it similar to how a fuel pump realy is set up. ie turns off when the engine stops. the nos bottle its self is very unlikly to leak aswell even in a fire. if a fire happened i would be more worried about the fuel tank or battery than nos. in short if it is done properly there is no problem. if you think you can hold the bottle in your lap along with a fuel cell you will have a problem. i tryed to do a quick search just know on yahoo and nothing came up so it carn't be a big risk.

roger

toayoztan

Gary":3qzdsrhz said:
If your car caught on fire, you are pretty fucked, with or without NOS. :wink:

Witty lol.

But back to the subject that got off subject :wink: Furpo mentions adding X amount of power, but it's not THAT much power...so how much power are we talking? I know it all depends on the application, the amount of shots, etc, but i'm just looking for an average or perhaps a maximum. I see all these people throwing on NOS and claiming their car is fast, so i'd like to get a little more factual information rather than just tell them they're retarded for not reinforcing their engine in the first place. I don't know much about NOS, but I always found it cheap. Please no flamming me on that, but one day I may think of why it's cheap haha. Thanks!

Bryan

Oh, and i know NOS is a brand...but i got lazy and said NOS anyway instead of nitrous oxide :p

furpo

i have said about all i know on the subject.

david vizard has brought out a book on nitrous oxide. i would start by reading that if i was to use it.

roger