Silly Idea... I think...

alltracman78

toayoztan":fx4otju9 said:
But back to the subject that got off subject :wink: Furpo mentions adding X amount of power, but it's not THAT much power...so how much power are we talking? I know it all depends on the application, the amount of shots, etc, but i'm just looking for an average or perhaps a maximum. I see all these people throwing on NOS and claiming their car is fast, so i'd like to get a little more factual information rather than just tell them they're retarded for not reinforcing their engine in the first place. I don't know much about NOS, but I always found it cheap. Please no flamming me on that, but one day I may think of why it's cheap haha. Thanks!

You answered yourself. It's just like asking "how much hp will a turbo add to my car?"
All NOS is is extra oxygen. You can add small amounts to any engine with no ill side effects, as long as it's set up properly. Just like a turbo.

furpo

i think what toayztan is asking is how much hp will say a 50hp give you. it will not be 50hp. it will be something like 40-45hp because you are not burning the fuel at (sychromic sp?) ratio. it is burned much richer so there is some fuel in there that is taking up volume just to cool the charge and also there are other reasons why it will not make 100% of the 50hp.

how much less will it make i don't know. i guess it depends

roger

MrWOT

furpo":1lqwilt1 said:
yes it is dumb. then again i am prepared to fix things. i launch my car off the limiter with my foot flat to the floor. i don't make a habbit of doing it. i don't race the gt4 very often. i have a mini that i race.

i had a similar idea to you a while ago but instead of an electric motor i was going to use a two stroke engine to run a blower till i found out how big the engine had to be. well done on thinking out side the box. every now and again you will come up with something that works that no one knew about.

with the nos a lot of proven cars use it for spooling a big turbo. i was suggesting it as imo a better option. just trying to help out.

roger

Building boost pre-launch is quite simple when drag racing you know. I used this trick all the time on my 86 SVO and it worked beautifully. Here's how you do it.

First you need a clutch activated switch, so then when the clutch is fully depressed it will cut the circuit, YES i mean CUT the circuit, then tie this line inbetween the spark signal from the ECU to the coil. Voila, instant complete cut of all advance when you hit the clutch, what does this mean? With the timing so far retarded, the air/gas mixture won't finish burning completely and will finish it's burn in the exhaust manifold, rapidly spooling the turbine, I used to launch at 10psi in 1st gear on my SVO 8) That's all there is to it. Can't say I'd much recommend a 10psi launch on anything but a car in excellent shape though.... 1st on the Alltrac is really steep, might break something.

BTW, it's not an exact description because on the SVO there is a SPout connector that I used, not sure where/what the connector on the alltrac looks like, I'll go take a peek later :wink:

furpo

sounds like a very good idea. cheap anti lag. on the gt4 the ignition cheak port on the diagnostic port retards the ignition back to base advance i think so this may work if this curcuit can be used.

am i right in what i say above?

roger

alltracman78

turbo4wd":1dmzokn9 said:
furpo":1dmzokn9 said:
the nos bottle its self is very unlikly to leak aswell even in a fire.

i guess brian spilner had the wrong bottle then.. :D

:rofl:

F&F
If you have it set up correctly (cutoff switch), and the fire stays away from the bottle, it will be fine, but if the fire gets to the bottle, BOOM.

killer_siller

about the electric motor pre-spooling the turbo idea

mazda is actually doing it. if i'm not mistaken their RX8 concept car actually had it on it.

that and i believe they are looking into it for the new rx7. how cool is that.

Griffin

CodingParadox":2in362sq said:
For one, I'll never ever stick NOS in my car... Far as I'm concerned, it's about the stupidest thing one could ever do.

For another, this was just an amusing idea that trickled across my head. I really don't care at all about actually implementing it.

Though I kinda wanan know how you can get 6psi free revving. I'm pretty sure I'll redline before I get any real boost. Though, I haven't tried it because free revving to redline is dumb as hell.

I make 8PSI revving at 8500 RPM :)