List of 8" woofers that fit the door panels

Denver_whiteST185

damn, i wish i had the cash to do that. :D my stock 8"s are blown, so i was going to just get the speakers, but i think ill hold off and get them installed with an amp.

goldfish

Speedy2k":27qq1r0r said:
Goldfish,

what amp are you using? Are you going to run them in 2ohm or 4ohm?

I'm using a cheap Jensen 360W 2 channel amp - 4 ohm. I dont ever expect to push these speakers anywhere near their max point so I'm not going with an expensive amp. Plus when I was shopping this was one of the lighter weight ones (under 10 lbs) and small enough to fit under the passenger seat. It also had good reviews.

I got the new CD player and front MB Quart component set installed last night and it sounds amazing. I've got the amp wired up and I'm hoping to power it up for the first time tonight.

goldfish

I got it all back together last weekend and it sounds great. I'm no longer using the rear speakers at all and it sounds just fine. The rear speaker boxes are pretty heavy - about 5lbs each. I cut out all the old wiring except where it goes into the doors. I really like the new SSMB8s. Here is a small writeup and a few pics of what I did:
http://www.erkou.com/images/interior/speakers.html

goldfish

Greg_Peddle":37rnpkqq said:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6876.html#

they dont say midbass driver but there in the midbass driver section

anyone know what these are like i heard bad things about the kickers

Do you know what the dimensions are? They dont list it on that site.

What 'bad things' did you hear about the kickers? From a reliable source or word of mouth through 4 people? I like mine so far and haven't had any problems though I've only had them running for a month.

Greg_Peddle

no on the same site if u look up the kicker it says that one guy replaced them a couiple times. but they cannt be that bad

and im gonna have to find the dimesnsions for that new one ....

Greg_Peddle

ssmb8 kickers i got a set of them bran new on ebay not used for 140 cdn shipped

i just got them in my door plastic holders and it takes alot of work but its done and it was fun now just gotta trim part of the doorout

note be carefull when taking door trim off there are alotttttttttt of screws in it

goldfish

theUNYTEDone":25ivrv9n said:
which amps are all of you running to accomodate the subs?

Goldfish":25ivrv9n said:
Speedy2k":25ivrv9n said:
Goldfish,

what amp are you using? Are you going to run them in 2ohm or 4ohm?

I'm using a cheap Jensen 360W 2 channel amp - 4 ohm. I dont ever expect to push these speakers anywhere near their max point so I'm not going with an expensive amp. Plus when I was shopping this was one of the lighter weight ones (under 10 lbs) and small enough to fit under the passenger seat. It also had good reviews.

I got the new CD player and front MB Quart component set installed last night and it sounds amazing. I've got the amp wired up and I'm hoping to power it up for the first time tonight.

theUNYTEDone

thanks...i might look into installing some OK subs in my doors, getting a deck, and just replacing the rest of my speakers..no awesome sound system....sound like a pretty cool idea? i think so. heh. im saving this thread for reference. thanks!!!

Greg_Peddle

the speakers in the doors are not subs though. thats the mis concept everyone thinks you can put an 8 inch woofer in there but you cant beacuse its not a sealed box. what you need to put in there is a midbass driver thats what its called. you would be pretty disapointed to install it crank it up and all u see is it shaking and no noise

i have jmine hooked up to my stock amp right now and it sounds fine but i will be upgrading that amplifer eventually but i have other projects ongoing with the car. i only replaced the door mibass drivers because they were blown =)

toayoztan

Greg_Peddle":1coi0vay said:
the speakers in the doors are not subs though. thats the mis concept everyone thinks you can put an 8 inch woofer in there but you cant beacuse its not a sealed box. what you need to put in there is a midbass driver thats what its called. you would be pretty disapointed to install it crank it up and all u see is it shaking and no noise

i have jmine hooked up to my stock amp right now and it sounds fine but i will be upgrading that amplifer eventually but i have other projects ongoing with the car. i only replaced the door mibass drivers because they were blown =)

Yeah that's what I thought too. I didn't understand why some were talking about putting subwoofers in there. I always called them mid-woofers. I guess mid0-bass drivers is a more appropriate name. In any case, I'm thinking of getting the kickerss too. My driver side is completely blown. And if they sound fine with the stock amp, then i'll probably go ahead and get these now instead of waiting. I can always upgrade amp and other speakers later.

Bryan

TheRealDealGT4

I put a pair of Kicker RMB8 subs in my doors, i had to cut away at some of the plastics where the speakers magnet sticks out and some metal off the door, other then that it was a nice fit and they sound amazing

Toxygene

Has anyone tried these Lanzar subs?

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?MODEL=NEO8

NEO8.jpg

It looks like they wouldn't need as much trimming and the price isn't bad either.

Toxygene

AlltracAllday":dpun03u7 said:

That's awesome... I didn't know that Pioneer made that sub in an 8 inch version.

You might still need to trim things but probably not as much cutting. I have the enclosures for the door speakers and short of actually getting a shallow mount 7 inch, I think you'll still need to trim for an 8 to fit.