UK Carlos Sainz owner (Now with Pics)

stevenb

theUNYTEDone":2n3davp7 said:
stevenb":2n3davp7 said:
I would not run a GT4 without a heatsheild...thats asking for trouble.
:shock:

why would you say that? there's quite a few of us here that aren't running them.

The stock manifold gets very hot so the heatsheild helps to expell the heat from it. Without it the stock manifold can be subjected to greater tolerances thus possibly allowing damage to occur. If you running an aftermarket manifold you'll probably be better off but with a stock manifold I'd choose to keep the heatsheild on.

Steve

stevenb

not12listen":lwn5alwy said:
steven,

great looking CS. :) my fiancee and i purchased a 1988 GT-Four a few months back (black w/ white hood and sunroof). we have a source for the CS motor and transmission. it is missing the ALS though.

i've no doubt that we're still going to enjoy it tremendously.

btw - i have an 86 MR2 (aw11), and an 87 Corolla GTS (ae86). she has an 85 mr2 and an 88 SuperCharged mr2... our roommate has an 88 Supra (ma70).

needless to say, we're all huge toyota fans! :)

again, great looking CS, and i hope she treats you well. :)

Cheers buddy. I like my Toyota's too. I was going to buy a Supra twin turbo but the CS was such a steal when i saw it that I had to snap it up.
i still like the old skool cars though...corolla, levin's MR2 mk1's etc.

theUNYTEDone

stevenb":2o80b1ou said:
theUNYTEDone":2o80b1ou said:
stevenb":2o80b1ou said:
I would not run a GT4 without a heatsheild...thats asking for trouble.
:shock:

why would you say that? there's quite a few of us here that aren't running them.

The stock manifold gets very hot so the heatsheild helps to expell the heat from it. Without it the stock manifold can be subjected to greater tolerances thus possibly allowing damage to occur. If you running an aftermarket manifold you'll probably be better off but with a stock manifold I'd choose to keep the heatsheild on.

Steve

great mentality behind this! however, the temperatures don't seem to bother my car at all...
but as far as i know
it wouldn't even fit with any aftermarket manifolds.

stevenb

The stock heatsheild wont fit aftermarket manifolds as you say. Every car is different. Not having a heatsheild with a stock manifold could be more detremental to cars that sit in traffic a lot everyday, eventually leading up to a possibility of warping or cracking. But every car is different.

theUNYTEDone

i try to avoid arguing, but have you any idea how HEAVY and THiCK the stock manifold is? i'd imagine it'd be almost impossible to crack from being daily driven. i sat in traffic for a total of two hours a day for a few months to and from school. warping is probably a possibility, but again...the flange on the stocker is HUGE. so...slim chance.

the whole purpose of that heat shield is to keep heat generated around the manifold AWAY from the stock top mount intercooler.

stevenb

Easy tiger. Your perfectly entitled to your opinion. Plus I think this is going a bit off topic to say the least. :doh:

:lol: