Street Brawler 46 Trim Final - 392whp@24psi, w/Exhaust!

Denver_whiteST185

___Scott___":3k1edvh7 said:
Maloy":3k1edvh7 said:
so what is the harmonic dampener for then?
To dampen harmonics :wink:

A little light reading is in order. Start here:
http://www.suprasonic.org/public_html/s ... amper.html
http://dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=5

From here: http://d-series.org/forums/printthread.php?t=7945
a wise old one warned me about using a lightweight pulley on a D16, I didn't listen........

What I get for being bull headed.........
http://www.bettendorf.com/~mrbone/pictu ... mainsx.jpg

Damn, if i would have realized this a week ago, i wouldn't have bought it. oh well, i guess ill just sell it.

d1alltrac

you may have missed it before since denver and i kinda jacked your thread :oops:

but have you considered a 3SGE intake cam? i hear its a small upgrade and being a stock toyota cam i would imagine its possible to gain a little with no loss of bottom end....im just speculating though, i have no experience with this.

ruffneck

that`s right! but remember that NO FPR can completly close! they lett thru 50-70lh to! so then you just have 205-185 left! (wolfcatz tested this!)
interesting point...just keep a close eye on your a/f ratio I guess..

Maloy

That makes sense, makes me wonder who told me a perfectly balanced motor doesnt need a dampener. Thanks for the links.

exST165

*nice* build! I'm planning on autocrossing my Alltrac so I'm interested in some of your thoughts on intercoolers at that power level. Would a FMIC seriously affect throttle response? Going to a ST205 WTA setup shouldn't have affected the throttle response but there must be a weight penalty for switching from a TMIC, any noticable affect on handling going around the cones?

TIA,
Thomas

KORacing

I've been extremely happy with the results we've achieved with David's car. Another thing to keep in mind when looking at David's dyno run is that it was in 3rd gear, and typically, I see 200-300 rpm better spool between 3rd and 4th. The tune I have helped David with is conservative in order to not blow anything up. His open downpipe run shows approximately 150 rpm better spool than through the exhaust, and the power was achieved at almost 2psi less boost (360 front-whp).

For someone who asked, here is a plot of ATS's TD 06 vs. the SB46 on the same car (MR2) both running 18psi on pump gas (built 2.2L EngineLogics stroker, cams, 70mm throttle body, greddy side-mount IC):
Santesson18psiSB46vsTD06Pump.jpg

KORacing

Another thing to keep in mind if you are considering the Street Brawler turbo kit is that we have GT series turbos in the works and are pending testing. These would be available as drop ins to your current Street Brawler turbo kit (same DP same adapter) ideally unless their size proves that we need to up the wastegate to a 44mm Tial.

Simba

eric thompson":3etrom3v said:
I think a perfectly balanced motor doesnt need balance shafts, not a harmonic balancer. IMO

You can balance the rotating assembly until the cows come home. You're still going to have critical harmonics at given RPM points, which is what harmonic balancers reduce. Greatly.

marklar88

how bad do 264s affect low end power? and is there anything to compensate for this??(sorry, not to hijack your thread just curious b/c I am thinking about putting them in)

toayoztan

CodingParadox":1gbewn27 said:
They destroy lower end power. If you're looking for a drag car or a dyno queen, use 264s. Otherwise, don't.

So what's 272 for, super drag?

David, didn't the stock cam setup limit you to only 392hp? I'm just curious, because i'm looking to get around 450.

Bryan

CodingParadox

Yeah, but that's the flow limit of the head with this turbo. 264s would give me a little more torque around 5500 rpms, but would kill lower end power, and would end up making virtually the same peak horsepower. For significantly more power you'll need a different turbo.

toayoztan

CodingParadox":3zhkj3ja said:
Yeah, but that's the flow limit of the head with this turbo. 264s would give me a little more torque around 5500 rpms, but would kill lower end power, and would end up making virtually the same peak horsepower. For significantly more power you'll need a different turbo.

Hmm..interesting. I'll have to have another talk with James from KORacing. He ensured me 46trim would have gotten me 450. It's a little ways before i buy a turbo kit, but i'm obviously doing my hw now heh.

Bryan

CodingParadox

300whp daily can be gotten with around 18-19psi on pump with conservative timing on stock cams.

My understanding is that the 46 trim, even with cams, won't see 450 to the wheels. You should ask kris for more info. I could be completely off basis. Kris will know more about the turbo's capability than James.

Denver_whiteST185

would a 50-trim SB kit be able to get 450 to the wheels on race gas? I'm planning on stroking my engine to 2.1 or 2.2, so that would make up for spooling difference.

CodingParadox

I just asked Kris, and he agreed that the 46 trim can't hit 450 to the wheels, it just doesn't have quite enough flow. Cams won't help improve maximum flow of a turbo, they'll just help improve VE if your head is the restriction, not the turbo.

Kris thinks the 50 trim could do it pretty easily, however. So, you can go that route.

Denver_whiteST185

sounds good. I just got a new job and im finally going to have the money to start building up my car. Im inbetween a garret GT30 kit ive found and the Street brawler kit. However, if kris is planning on making a streetbrawler upgrade to a Garret GT series like he was talking about, im definatly going for that. My car should be ready for 25psi by october, so thats when im looking to get that kit. the reason i was wondering is because my goal is 450-500 on race gas and 350 on pump gas while retaining a decent spool (remember, im at 6000 ft., so my spool is 500 rpm or so later)