Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

CMS-GT4

Problem.

The axel is larger for the camry than the alltrac. One solution is having the axels modified but that ruins tis as a budget project.

The hubs may still fit, but there is a whole new issue.

However I am not giving up hope yet. Maybe the hubs can be used on the rear axel?

I am not sure the size of our rear axels but we can look into it.

The mr2 rear hub may be the only solution to using it on our front hub.

Anyone have any halfshafts lying around that they want to toss. Or some way we can determine the size of the rear axel.

I am open to suggestions.

jprine01

Is the axle spline the same on the alltrac and camry? (Inner part on the hubs)
The axel is larger for the camry than the alltrac.
Maybe thats what you mean by that.
I would think the hard part in putting different hubs on our car would be finding one with the same spline.

CMS-GT4

Yes, the splin is a different size. I am surprised that camry axels are thicker than ours. Its nota huge difference, but its big enough to where the teeth would have a hard time grabbing.

3SVERIZON

What about doing a four lug hub conversion 4X114.3, like used on the rally celicas. there are also many wheels made for 4x114.3, do you know of any toyotas 4wd that have 4x114.3 hubs? they might have the proper axel spline too!!! i had four spacer adapters made for my alltrac. so i could run a set of OZ F1 CUP wheels that were 5x114.3 and it looks good.

RallyX-GT4

The four bolt hubs from the rally cars would be great, the only problem is that they were an integral part of the X-Trac tranny/suspension set-up (read big bucks). Not sure if you could source them alone, but if you could, they would incur the expense of further adaptation... but it would be one of the last set of hubs you ever needed...

CMS-GT4

Those hubs might not even work with standard street wheels. I was told by Mike Z, who rallys a 185, that the hubs use a much thicker stud to prevent breaking.

CMS-GT4

Maybe someone here works in the parts department for toyota has some parts they can test out for us?

CMS-GT4

I am also checking early 90s supras for hub fitment. I think the rear hubs from an mr2 will be out best bet.

CMS-GT4

Have not messed with this for a while. Still working on the car. I do not plan on changing my axels for the camry hubs. Most likely will get some hubs from some where else. I think the corolla and rav4 are another option for hubs.

CMS-GT4

I found the cars builder. He used a corolla hub. And since rav4s share the same hubs as corollas, I assued they should work too.

RedCelicaTRD

Ok, the wheel bearing is pressed into the knuckle. The hub is then pressed into the wheel bearing. So all you need to do is see what cars use the same wheel bearing as we do. MR2s use the same wheel bearing in the front, so they wont work (unless the rear bearing they use has the same outside diameter and a different inside diameter, which would need a different part number). 88-91 Camrys use the same bearing, but I cant remember if they are four or five lug and what pattern they use.

jprine01

RedCelicaTRD":36su3ljd said:
Ok, the wheel bearing is pressed into the knuckle. The hub is then pressed into the wheel bearing. So all you need to do is see what cars use the same wheel bearing as we do. MR2s use the same wheel bearing in the front, so they wont work (unless the rear bearing they use has the same outside diameter and a different inside diameter, which would need a different part number). 88-91 Camrys use the same bearing, but I cant remember if they are four or five lug and what pattern they use.

Not only does the inner bearing diameter / outer diameter on the hub need to be the same but the spline in the hub needs to match also. How many different splines does toyota use i dont know.

CMS-GT4

Thats the problem with the 300/camry hubs. The axel spline is too large. I can either do custom axels or try another set of hubs. The last model caldina uses a 5x114 hub. That might be an option as well.

Kyoto

Im keenly watching this thread. I have some 5x114.3 Buddy Clubs i just can't bring myself to sell...

CMS-GT4

Both Martin and myself will most likely not be making another go of this till next season. So you may need to hold on a little longer.

Kyoto

Fuckit. If someone doesn't work out how to do this online im gonna find an egineer to do it for me when the time comes. I can't part with those P1's! Worst case scenario I'll keep em for when i get an EVO 6.5! TME :)

imgres