SRT-4

TomsGT4

So I punched it on the highway & he did the same & we were neck & neck from 90 to about 180kph.
I was following him onto the hwy & I think a Grand AM was trying to join in but we took off on him so fast he didn't know what happened. I saw his reaction for a second in the rearview... it was priceless.

Anyway, they run about a 14s quarter stock right?

TomsGT4

It's not a neon...
It's not a neon...
It's not a neon...

Anyway. They're a nice car.
Never ran against one before but I've seen under the hood.
Heh -I guess I'm just surprised how quick those things are with the 'ol Neon look.

CMS-GT4

Glad to hear you gave him a good run. They are ugly, but they are quick, and do pretty well for the $$.

Mafix

they do and lucky for me i can hang or win quite well with a lightly modded one. st2 or lower. but 14's stock, most drivers can't get into the 13's with the stock tires tho.

fhalperformance

srt4's.... i dont know. ive heard alot of things about them. people cant get rid of them, chassis sucks, engine is great, ... anyone else hear anything like this?

d1alltrac

simonsaysyousuck":1334s5a1 said:
srt4's.... i dont know. ive heard alot of things about them. people cant get rid of them, chassis sucks, engine is great, ... anyone else hear anything like this?

the owners tell me exactly this....and the ARE neons

jjpetek

We have a customer with one, with a 3" downpipe as the only mod it runs 13.5 sec. 1/4's all day. It is also one of the most tuned chassis/suspension combo's out of the box that you can buy in the sport compact range. It is a neon, and neons do have more racing development than all but a few of the compacts (Integra Type R, etc.)

Hey, I'm no mopar man, but these things are a pretty formidable package.

CMS-GT4

For two to three years, then you just throw them away. QC and build quality are their biggest flaw. That and fwd. I like the srt4 caliber more. These days I like the idea of my cars being able to carry stuff. If my business requires me to start hauling things around a srt4 caliber might be leased.

We do have something in common with then though.
One thing srt4 owners always got hell for is "Its not a neon, its a srt4."

I think we have been guilty of the same thing. "its not a celica, its an alltrac/gtfour."

Of course, unlike them, we donm't catch hell for it. We just get, "whats that?"

TomsGT4

Not stock, & listed in my profile.

Yeah, if their quality is anything like the base build Neon I'd agree that we'd out handle them in the corners.
Maybe even with our stock suspension?

jjpetek

I can promise you that a stock SRT-4 ACR will out handle every stock GT4 and most GT4's with just springs and a rear bar. These cars are tuned for racing in stock classes and have all of the compromises to go with it in terms of ride stiffness and general 'vibration'. The suspension is actually 'tuned' out of the box, plus has adjustable shocks and a rear sway bar that doesn't look like a brake line. I think we can all admit that gt4's are not 'tuned' out of the box. Go check them out on the autocross course or road race track. :doh:

Razzo

jjpetek":2c6bn77l said:
I can promise you that a stock SRT-4 ACR will out handle every stock GT4 and most GT4's with just springs and a rear bar. These cars are tuned for racing in stock classes and have all of the compromises to go with it in terms of ride stiffness and general 'vibration'. The suspension is actually 'tuned' out of the box, plus has adjustable shocks and a rear sway bar that doesn't look like a brake line. I think we can all admit that gt4's are not 'tuned' out of the box. Go check them out on the autocross course or road race track. :doh:

maybe in a straightline buddy...but i highy highly doubt an str-4 can keep up with an allltrac in the turns. i don't give a fuck about suspension...you must be to stuiped, to realized we also have awd, which i have and gurantee we can beat, exp in autocross. so please keep your little bad car facts else where, suspenion is important..but on a little domestic fwd car...gooooood luck, i can go into cornors faster...and come out alot faster then you can with your little srt-4. lol stock tires barly work at keeping the srt-4 going. and don't give me that....its tuneable...gl with you srt-4, i laugh when i see them, cheap car....decent engine...dodge :shrug:

jjpetek

Wow, nice flame "buddy". Apparently the only thing comparable to your grammer is your ability to read. Check my profile album before you refer to my 'little SRT-4'. I guess I may be to 'stuiped' to understand why we can't all evaluate other marks accurately without feeling defensive. Do you sir, have direct experience in this matter? It turns out that that is what my 'little bad car facts' are based on.

Boy, forums are great sometimes.

turbo4wd

jjpetek":1pe41fum said:
I think we can all admit that gt4's are not 'tuned' out of the box.

I beg to differ.. Perhaps you mean "able to be tuned from the factory" or maybe not.

Stacking them up against the handling standards of the time (late 80s early 90s) Alltracs held their own. I listed on another thread a while back the road test results from a 1990-1991 article for the 185. and I also listed the test results of a current STi and Evo 8 - the handling capabilities of the Alltrac was not far off from those two.. in fact they were impressive when you take into account Alltracs had much skinnier stock tires compared to STi's and Evo's.

Now if you add the effects of 15 years, worn bushings, tired suspension, etc, then sure.. compared to a brand spankin' new SRT4 off the showroom floor, not expecting to see a clear difference would be ignorant.

hinkle

i work with a 50 or so yr old enthusisat that owns a srt4. said that its some what fast but handles like poop.expessially in the rain. i also rode in one that was at the mopar "stage 2" upgrades and had a set of teins with the automated adjustments and sway bars. same deal went kinda fast, he was trying to impress me because i did the normal "its still a neon." (i didnt mention i rode in my boss's 427 camaro earlier that day,faster but handling still poop) but couldn't handle. that kid also wrecked it a few months later, on a turn. 13 seconds is fast i guess but for 20,000 (how ever much they are) think of what u can build and then 13 seconds turns into slow. then again evos are gettin into the low 20's. oh and i owned a plain jane 00 neon cuz i paid $300 for it...worst 300 i ever spent

RedCelicaTRD

lets not start a pissing match guys. Everyone gets their own opinion.

Anyways, does anyone remember when SeanGTS was picking on the srt4 guys on their own message board? I remember, those where good times...

SeanGTS

Those fuckers are fast out of the box for under 15k, you get a potent buildable car that will work most, including alltracs. Best bang for your buck.

My buddy now has a Stage 3 SRT4 with a monter FMIC, the car is nut.

Those were the good ol days, I met some great people out of that and have hung out with them a few times.

Razzo

jjpetek":n85hf7cd said:
Wow, nice flame "buddy". Apparently the only thing comparable to your grammer is your ability to read. Check my profile album before you refer to my 'little SRT-4'. I guess I may be to 'stuiped' to understand why we can't all evaluate other marks accurately without feeling defensive. Do you sir, have direct experience in this matter? It turns out that that is what my 'little bad car facts' are based on.

Boy, forums are great sometimes.

Sorry i don't have the time to teach some neon freak about cars. Sorry I don't give a flying fuck if you have a 10 second neon...sorry srt-4...Sorry but i have driven one...and raced one around a track...but since your a fucken genious about car knowledge you must know....its got to be faster....o yea i beat the srt-4 by 4 seconds...o yea... a stock gt-four by the way...but of course your to smart.. lol love the srt-4 crew

jjpetek

Against all good judgement, I will continue this rediculous thread, purely for clarification.
1) If we go back to talking about handling, by out of the box 'tuned' I mean off of the factory floor capabilities. This is almost purely a matter of tires, roll stiffness, and shocks (and weight). SRT-4's come from the factory with more roll stiffness, better tires, and better shocks (and weigh less). Period. You don't need to put a rear sway bar on an SRT-4 to make it work, or much else for that matter. I don't mean alltrac's are not tuneable, if anything they are more tuneable than any neon.

2) I don't own a neon, and never will. I own more than one alltrac and have invested over $40k into the AMD ST165 because I believe it is (or can be) one of the most formidable cars on the road. I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't devoted to the mark. I am a CAR freak however, and don't excercise blind ignorance when evaluating performance.

3) Take a brand new completely stock alltrac up against a ACR SRT-4 and the alltrac will not outperform it. That is my point. Take that same alltrac against an STI or an EVO and its' not even close. That is my point. Take that alltrac, do turbo back exhaust, raise the boost, change the tires, change the bushings, add a rear sway bar, change the shocks and change the springs and it is an ENTIRELY different story.

Which is how I started this whole thing in the first place. If I had a ten second neon maybe I would give a flying fuck about it... :shrug: