SRT-4

saved_1992

frickin canadians :roll: was the winter too long and you got brain freeze :lol:

please no cursing on the forum :p it is known that there are kids on here :wink:

TomsGT4

saved_1992":1h5ot7su said:
frickin canadians :roll: was the winter too long and you got brain freeze :lol:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

saved_1992":1h5ot7su said:
please no cursing on the forum :p it is known that there are kids on here :wink:

Yeah agreed.
And, wow don't see too much flaming on the board.
For some reason it's funny when you're drunk... :evil:

I actually hadn't really driven my AT much in it's stock form.
So I really didn't get a feel for how it handles as such.
First thing that went in was the Whiteline bar, then Koni adjustables, poly bushings, solid mounts, etc...

The other day I out cornered him on the hwy on-ramp which is the only reason I pulled-up on him. After that we were matched for performance once we hit the straight-away. But I've upped the boost as well.

But I'm sorry, going to have to agree that given the difference in age the Alltrac is a better car, because where was the SRT-4 in 1988-1993?

It's like comparing the Alltrac when it first came out to something built in
the early 70's... :D

Know anything from the early 70's that can out corner a stock AT?
Even with *affordable* mods?

jjpetek

well since you asked... I think they all came with hemi's though.

Cuda
Superbird
Dart
Challenger
Charger

:twisted:

CMS-GT4

Lets not get to aggressive over this. No need for name calling at all.
I hate magazine racing, but here are some handling facts about both cars.

This is the 1990 alltrac (left) vs the sti and evo

Curb Weight (lbs):----3272------------3240-------------------3270
Weight dist. (f/r):-----60/40-----------60/40------------------58/42
Wheelbase (in):-------99.4------------103.3-------------------100.0
Track (f/r in):---------58.3/56.9-------59.6/59.6--------------58.7/58.5
Height (in):------------50.4-------------57.1-------------------56.3
Length (in):------------174.0-----------178.5------------------173.8
Width (in):-------------68.7-------------69.7-------------------68.5
Steering Ratio:--------16.8:1----------13.0/1-----------------15.2/1
Tire Size:--------------215/60/15------235/45/17------------225/45/17

Performance

Braking 60-0 (ft)-----124---------------108-------------------111
Skidpad (g)-----------.87---------------.88--------------------.88
600ft Slalom (mph)--65.4--------------68.9------------------68.4

SRT4 info from motortrend. Same source as alltrac data.
Here are the specs of the srt4
Weight dist. 64/36
2921 lb
Braking, 60-0 mph
118 ft

600-foot slalom
65.9 mph avg

Lateral acceleration
0.88 g avg

FACTS
So it has 6ft of braking over the alltrac.
.5mph over the alltrac
.01 g over the alltrac.

So looking at the test data. Lets look at one other figure.
Tires.
They tested the srt4 on BFGoodrich g-Force T/AKDW. (Ultra High Performance tire)
NOTE: The T/AKDW put the 350z from a .89 g to over 1g with just sway bars.
The alltrac was tested on stock Dunlop sp2000 tires. (Sporty all season tire)
Put the alltrac on the same tires and I bet you it would be a drivers race as long as there were no straight aways for the srt4 to use its power to its advantage (stock for stock handling race).

turbo4wd

*edited*

ok nm.. someone already posted what I was in the process of posting.. (so busy at work I start a response and dont get a chance to get back to it for 30-45 mins)

Thats the point I was trying to make.. That the 185 was no slouch in the handling category and that its stats were still on par with whats considered great handling today..

Razzo

jjpetek":1rbxqfm7 said:
Against all good judgement, I will continue this rediculous thread, purely for clarification.
1) If we go back to talking about handling, by out of the box 'tuned' I mean off of the factory floor capabilities. This is almost purely a matter of tires, roll stiffness, and shocks (and weight). SRT-4's come from the factory with more roll stiffness, better tires, and better shocks (and weigh less). Period. You don't need to put a rear sway bar on an SRT-4 to make it work, or much else for that matter. I don't mean alltrac's are not tuneable, if anything they are more tuneable than any neon.

2) I don't own a neon, and never will. I own more than one alltrac and have invested over $40k into the AMD ST165 because I believe it is (or can be) one of the most formidable cars on the road. I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't devoted to the mark. I am a CAR freak however, and don't excercise blind ignorance when evaluating performance.

3) Take a brand new completely stock alltrac up against a ACR SRT-4 and the alltrac will not outperform it. That is my point. Take that same alltrac against an STI or an EVO and its' not even close. That is my point. Take that alltrac, do turbo back exhaust, raise the boost, change the tires, change the bushings, add a rear sway bar, change the shocks and change the springs and it is an ENTIRELY different story.

Which is how I started this whole thing in the first place. If I had a ten second neon maybe I would give a flying fuck about it... :shrug:

I don't care what you can try and prove or what....you spent 40K on a car...that you really have no idea....any 4wd/awd car will out cornor any fwd car, i don't care how stiff the suspension is...fwd is junk when it comes to fast cornoring/autoxing. I would figure since you own an alltrac you might know...but obviously you have no idea. 4wd is way more dominate in handling through cornors. And actually an alltrac is very close to an sti/evo, i know a 205 runs the same 1/4, but while i've already said i beat an srt-4 around the track...the sti was only 3-4 seconds better then me. And i must say you do excercise blind ignorance because 4wd is better then fwd for multiple reasons. Alltracs.....aren't that bad....for a 15 year old car it keeps on par with alot of 2000 cars. But since you must say the suspension is better....etc....you must be right, i just thought that you may realize how stuiped you sound. Fwd is economical.....there good in straightlines, but when it comes to cornors....thats where 4wd/awd will shine. A really good buddy of mine also owns a colbalt ss/sc, i know he will beat me in a straightline, but on track i will have him by miles.

Razzo

turbo4wd":37k8vbew said:
*edited*

ok nm.. someone already posted what I was in the process of posting.. (so busy at work I start a response and dont get a chance to get back to it for 30-45 mins)

Thats the point I was trying to make.. That the 185 was no slouch in the handling category and that its stats were still on par with whats considered great handling today..

Thank you dan, someone here understands :D

saved_1992

well i know a guy whos friend knows a guy whos neon ran circles around a cousins built alltrac :shoots:

mopar forever :shock:

none of ya all know nothing :p

TomsGT4

jjpetek":kysk6kyc said:
TomsGT4":kysk6kyc said:
I said "out-corner", not "out-run" in a straight line.

Dude, I really hope you didn't take that seriously.

Oh crap, not anymore.
I thought you were making a straight line power comparison to the AT.
I have to stop reading these threads so fast.

How did that list of muscle cars compare in the quarter mile?
I bet it would be a good race - stock SRT-4 vs. one of them.
They're just hella noisier!!

theUNYTEDone

too much flaming. boooooo!

i do maintain the mentality that everyone's entitled to their opinion.
the SRT4 is the fastest car under 20K.
stock 15lbs of boost, and it's really easy to turn up.

despite the fact that it's a "neon", the bumper is quite nice (IMO)
maybe you'll even fool some ricers.
i know my "turbo celica" does.
that's all it is to most.
they have no idea there's a "AWD turbo celica"

and maybe comparing some driving characteristics between the two will be like apples/oranges. they just weren't DESiGNED for such things.

yes, i am quite fond of the SRT4. wouldn't mind having one at all.
but wait! before you hate me...AWD still reigns supreme.

RafaCalde

theUNYTEDone":ehs3uttk said:

this should be a thread all on it's own. how many times have people come up to you and been blown away by a turbo AWD celica?

CMS-GT4

This thread, most likely needs to be in o/t, alltrac owners should not bite alltrac owners.

We have kept this forum peaceful for many years. We are a small community, there are not enough of us for us to raise a hand against thy bretherin. Us alltrac brothers got to stay together.

theUNYTEDone

RafaCalde":f1xwind7 said:
theUNYTEDone":f1xwind7 said:

this should be a thread all on it's own. how many times have people come up to you and been blown away by a turbo AWD celica?

...what the hell are you talking about?
i was using this as an analogy such as the
neon:SRT4
many people don't realize there's a turbo neon.

theUNYTEDone

RafaCalde":1edszoij said:
theUNYTEDone":1edszoij said:

OH OH OH!!!! i get it. i'm going to start a thread like this soon.
"stories of telling people what your GT4 is"
unless someone beats me to it...
sorry about that earlier. thought you were calling my post out of place.

toayoztan

theUNYTEDone":e0vefhcm said:
RafaCalde":e0vefhcm said:
theUNYTEDone":e0vefhcm said:

OH OH OH!!!! i get it. i'm going to start a thread like this soon.
"stories of telling people what your GT4 is"
unless someone beats me to it...
sorry about that earlier. thought you were calling my post out of place.

There was already a thread like this. Unfortunately, i believe it got deleted in the club chat.

Bryan

muneo

Yeah there was a thread. It got to be pretty long too.

The topic was about stupid things that were said or asked about your alltrac. There were some really good ones