Launching techniques?

vip09

I ran at the local 1/8th mile track tonight for the first time in the alltrac. My 60's were horrible.. I got a 2.1 no matter what I did. I get those times in my fwd gt-s. What are you guys doing that get sub 2.0's?

Here's my slip from tonight. The track is 50ft short of an acutal 1/8th, so it would probably be around a 9.2 @ 76 or so on a normal track. I was running 9psi boost.

n51204144_30261073_9207.jpg

SuperWhite92

my best 60' was a 1.81 with Ecsta 711's (Crappy tires). My technique was taken straight from Mr. Chinshue himself-- drop the clutch from 6k and let 'er rip. Having an upgraded clutch doesn't hurt.

My best on the stock clutch was a 2.05, which was obtained with a strategic slip from about 5k.

vip09

I have an RPS Max clutch w/ street disc. First I tried dumping the clutch at 6k rpm. It fell on its face right after the launch.. bogged really bad. No wheelspin or clutch slip. Next try I held it right before the rev limiter and right before i lauched I pinged the rev limiter a couple times to build boost, then dumped the clutch.. same outcome, bogged horribly.. no wheelspin or clutch slip. On my last run I launched around 6 grand again, but I slipped the clutch a little, it didn't bog nearly as bad but I still ended up with a 2.1 60'. Also, my car feels like it has no low end power whatsoever. It's godly slow until the turbo spools at 4k rpm.

d1alltrac

i have never taken my car to the drag strip and im sure launching on the street is a whole different animal but...i have found the way i get the best launches (or what feels like it) is the slipping technique...i just bog if i dump it.

lol...just the other day my brother was following me when we were getting some gas and i launched at a red light. when we got home he was all happy and telling me how badass it looked cause the rear end came out on the launch...lol :p

alltracshoak

i dont know if im breaking my motor or not but then if i rev still it at 5 to 6k and dump the clutch, it boggs down,i if i keep revving at 4 to 6 and dump it, it'll take off.probably when i rev it between 4 and 6 and dont let my rpm stays at a constant place, it seems i get my turbo spool while i do that and also giving me a way better launch.just my opinion but i dont know if it will harm the transmission anyhow.

theUNYTEDone

my friend says that the best way for him to launch his evo8 (MiGHT'VE been with an SRT4, though<--his previous car)is to "mesh" the gears slightly to build boost, that way the launch isn't bogged out....is it possible to use this method with our cars???

theUNYTEDone

i suppose it would entail kind of slipping the clutch to have them engaged, to produce a load on the engine/turbo...? :shrug: i've personally never even TRiED to launch. too scared. :doh:

grip addict

theUNYTEDone":1bu85moj said:
i suppose it would entail kind of slipping the clutch to have them engaged

err... right.
imo the best way to launch a mostly stock alltrac is a quick slip.
rev up to 6 or something similar, move to the friction point on the clutch, then as soon as the car starts to move, floor the gas and quickly let out the clutch. don't sidestep it, otherwise you'll bog.
do it a few times and you'll be able to get away without burning the clutch.

alltracshoak

i think by revving it back and forth from a range of rpms will help it build boost.that's my technique and i had never gotten a bad launch from it. 8)

bloodMoney

I don't know about the AT's but on my buddy's DSM, "proper" launch technique is to rev up to 4k and dump it... But i guess that doesn't seem to work in this case.

RafaCalde

for me the best method is to slip it from 5500. i'm thinking of trying to slip it from 6000 but i haven't been to the track in a while. i still haven't been able to get 2.0 60'. i'm just holding the clutch a little too long. i haven't timed my foot perfectly yet. i don't bog and i smoke just a little bit. i rev it and start letting out the clutch untiol the car starts moving. then i'll just let it out fast. i don't dump it.

Simba

It's more art than science. Best I've found is to hold at ~6.5k, begin a quick slip to get it rolling, then engage the clutch progressively faster. It's not technically a drop, and certainly not a sidestep, but not far from it either. The trick is finding the sweet spot between a lurch/bogfest and burning up the clutch.

Alternatively, you can go with a really nasty unsprung clutch and/or a wad more power than you're probably running, and start breaking tranny parts. :D

Reason #234908 why I can't stand drag racing.

furpo

it is possible to have the ign port in the diagnostic box on a clutch button. this returns the ignition timing to base which will induce a misfire and will spool the turbo. going of the rev limiter it would spin the tyres till about 3500rpm every time. i had this on my old st185 which did a best of 14.9 on stock boost with 60 foots in the 1.95sec range. note though that this car was 1340kg with me in it.

roger