• better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • junker

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • doesn't matter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

theUNYTEDone

which would you see as better on an ST185 with roughly 325 ish AWHP?

and why.

reason for the thread is i get a lot of crap for going to a 3 inch open (no cats) system. wondering if the switch back after my car's done will be worth it. the HP number up there will be about what i'm running...thanks guys!

Simba

I've run both. 2.5" not only fits better and has much more room to move through the rear suspension, but flows just as well as 3" at that power level.

Also, most 3" exhausts are misleading, as they have sections that are crunched well under 3". When I made my 2.5", I used normal mandrel pieces and didn't have to tweak or crunch anything.

ChrisD

I have a 2.5" downpipe and 3" mandrel bent for the rest. There would probably be some power available at the 325 whp level, but you'd gain a few things in terms of noise, ease of fit, etc.

It's up to you. i would bet there would be a small penalty to running the smaller size. That said, I make plenty of power with a 2.5" dp.

gearhead313

I've also run both. Though I dont know my hp numbers, I can tell you that after going down to 2.5", it was disapointing. The torque felt the same, aka 5th gear, putting up hills, etc... but the power through the top end is what I lost. It kinda pisses me off, but i'm dealing with it. The 2.5" is definitly more DD friendly :oops:

celicat93

your poll needs some tweaking. You ask 2.5" or 3", but then your poll responses are "better" and "junker". Which is better and which is junker? The questions should just be 2.5 and 3 I've heard the arguments go both ways, and before investing myself, I'd like to see the numbers from people who've done it.

toayoztan

celicat93":1w57l2kb said:
your poll needs some tweaking. You ask 2.5" or 3", but then your poll responses are "better" and "junker". Which is better and which is junker? The questions should just be 2.5 and 3 I've heard the arguments go both ways, and before investing myself, I'd like to see the numbers from people who've done it.

+1

I don't know how to answer your poll..... :shrug:

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

:doh: thanks for tha poll input, guys. i guess i had the 3" system in mind when i slapped it together. forgive me, it was 130 in the AM....as for your replies, i'm currently running the 3" now, and was just wondering about it in the future, there's ALWAYS argument on the benefit-s and drawbacks of both systems...but, GREAT! keep the replies coming. :D

what the hell, how do you edit the poll?