17x9" Sportmax 050 wheels ....

SuperWhite92

CMS-GT4":3ihvnzpt said:
YOu imagine the pain of actually getting to order with them was. Took 6 calls to get the order, and they didn't even beleive me on the price.

Took a month to get, and they were missing bits when I got them. Two of my wheels were a return for some reason.

I feel like I should give you a hug. That must've hurt.

CMS-GT4

I just weighted my old stocker on my bathroom scale. It came up 40lbs wheel and tire. I always heard 45, but my scale is most likely off anyhow.

If you hoosiers only weight 15lbs and the wheel is 21lbs, your still getting a combo that is at least 4lbs lighter than stock while providing more grip. Not a bad trade off for the price. I doubt I will be that lucky though since I will be running a street tire.

gtfour77

Thank you for the info! You didn't happen to weigh the Sportmax rim did you? I will try to do that so we know exactly when I do my tire change in a couple of months...

gtfour77

Toxygene":6dq93gkw said:
Any progress on the camry hub swap?

Not yet unfortunatelly....too busy with the autocross season in full swing right now... I am not even sure if it's really necessary to go any wider than 17x9's...due to wider tires needing more heat and autocross courses just provide enough lenght to heat up the super wide tires properly...
I have been doing really well with my worn out Victoracers so I can't even imagine what new set of V710's will do... :D

gts35551

i've been going to a few auto x this season, but just practices, no points cards. i have victoracers too, but just on 15's. i normally use 15's for around the track, but since they were going out, i switched back to the 17's that day

DSCF1740-1.jpg

DSCF1738.jpg

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg

gtfour77

Looks great! Thanks for the pictures!
I wish I could use 15's....with my Wilwood brakes I can only use 17's... Although there might be a way to squeeze some wide 16's ...I will have to do some testing on that one...
Seems like the Victos's are getting worn down to the good stuff.. :wink: Mine are getting a little old and getting ready for some V710's...hear they are about a second faster on an average course...we'll see...
What tires are you getting next? How did you like the 17's?

gts35551

i'm not sure what tire to choose next. i haven't done any research lately for a new set, but i want try something on a budget, like azenis, those new hankook's, or go back to kumho's. any recommendations? the 17's handled well as predicted, but there's just cheap tires on them for daily driving. i wish i had money for 17". i also wish i had taken care of the victoracers better, though they are my first real set for soft compound.

my goal right now is to rework the suspension the right way. i'm on trd rally springs with gr2 shocks. whiteline swaybar and strut bar in the rear, tien pillow mounts up front. the combination makes it nice for daily driving, but i when pushed, there's a lot of oversteer. i think the car sits too high for any auto x. maybe coilovers down the road, but since its a daily driver, i don't like it too harsh. any recommendations here? i think i should've just saved up and bought something nice. as u can see, i'm still a confused newbie at this with a budget...but all in it for the fun :D

gtfour77

Well you have the 17x9's right? That would be the best autocrossing wheel probably since it's widest...and trust me, with our heavy cars, we need the width. I will have my 275 40 17 Victoracers for sale within a week or so...they still have tread left on them... :D (at least way more than yours..heh)
Anyway, if you want something firmer, I would just go with an aftermarket spring and shock combo....you can buy some 2.5 inch diameter springs (10 inch long for the front and 7 or 8 inch for the rear) and do a nice conversion. Very easy to change since you don't need a spring compressor. Also, do the rear insert conversion....much cheaper for the budget racer like us..;)
Koni is really the answer if you're serious about racing. (I got the yellow adjustables )...otherwise your setup seems ok . Rear sway bar is a must of course, the pillow mounts are great for camber changes.
The only real advice I can offer is add as much camber as you can on the front to increase the grip on that end...I am running over 3 degrees now and seems to be working great... But first you need good sticky wode tires. Once you stiffen up the springs, you'll be able to run 275's on the 17x9's without fender rolling..(or very minimal tuck at that)
Also, if you don't do any major body mods and brakes, you'll be able to stay in D-Street Prepared class which is a great match for our alltracs.
I am running SM and doing really well but it's a very tough competition in this particular class (unlimited turbo, boost, computer, unlimited brakes, suspension....talk about spending money. If i was to do this all over, I'd stick with DSP...oh well....it's a good challenge at least.
M.

gtfour77

Just a quick update on the 5x114.3 conversion. I am selling my bimmer this week and if everything goes well I will be doing the conversion by next week.
After that it's some new, wider wheels and much wider tires.... I'll update once everything goes through. Keep tuned....

Toxygene

gtfour77":3mec1u25 said:
Just a quick update on the 5x114.3 conversion. I am selling my bimmer this week and if everything goes well I will be doing the conversion by next week.
After that it's some new, wider wheels and much wider tires.... I'll update once everything goes through. Keep tuned....

Staying Tuned.... :smokes:

gtfour77

Well, just found out that the splines on the V6 Camry is different (not by much) than the one from the Alltrac.... The quest continues.... I ordered a Camry 4 cyl hub and an axle last week so I will be doing more research next week... If the splines line up, we're golden...if not there is still a chance the inner race and ball bearings from the alltrac fit inside the camry outer CV joint....after that it's going to be a very custom job and simply might not be worth the trouble....
I will do whatever it takes to make this happen but it might take a little more than I thought... Why oh why did toyota make so many different splines???? :shrug:

CMS-GT4

Coulda swore I posted the info about the different splines in another thread.

Why did you get 4cylinder axels? I see v6 es300 and camry axels for 35 bucks each on ebay. Are they the same bolt pattern?

My main concern is axel length of the out shaft. I think you could have the UV modified for the celica inner shafts to work with the camery outer shafts. Maybe even the entire camry axel.

I think the center bore tells you what spline is used. Wish we had someone who worked in the parts department @ toyota that could look up some OEM parts and compare their dimensions.

I just redid my PC so I might be able to install my EPC again and compare some part numbers.

gtfour77

Josh, I think you have mentioned it before....it's hard to go through all the posts..heh
Anyway, just received the 4 cyl camry hub assembly....same bearing, same 5x114.3 bolt pattern but the spline is smaller... since an axle froma 5sfe celica fits it that means that the alltrac shaft will slide tright in.... I think we got a winner!
Now there are two options for the front. Either reuse camry brakes or machine the hub down to where it fits the alltrac bearing. I think I am going to try to modify my caliper brackets and use the better spindle wih bigger bearing. Everything else will bolt right on according to my calculations...

The only other problem I see is the lower ball joint...but I think the alltrac one will fit in there...

As for the rears, I am not going to worry about it because we can use a space/adapter to convert the 5x100 to 5x114.3....

CMS-GT4

Welcome to the club. I think these wheels look very simular to the Gram Light 57pro. Except they cost for a set of 4 less than the price of one Volk.

They offer bronze, silver and chrome. Think so far the alltrac guys have only ordered silver. I am not sure how bronze their bronze is. I plan on getting mine painted to match my old adr fuels maybe soon.

Playfortoday

Well, I am screwed. Please see below.

My email to him

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am curious if you can get a new set of (4) Sport Max 050 wheels in size 17x9, with a bolt pattern of 5x100, and an offet of 38? Can you get them in a finish besides silver?

If you can get the Sport Max 050, what is your pricing per wheel? Wheelmax.com sells them for $79 each, but is currently out of stock. Can you come close to that price? People from alltrac.net highly recommend your company for these wheels. We run them with 20mm-25mm spacers in the rear and no spacer in the front with no issues.

Thanks much in advance for your help!!!

His reply:

Sorry, those are discontinued. Can't get those anymore. They won't be able to get them any longer. Anyway nice all trac. Regards

What now guys? I though I had the solution to my kick ass wheels on low budget problem. Now I am doomed to buy another set of Volks.:(