91 GTS or 95 GT?

Which one?

• 95 GT, 200k, needs new engine/tranny soon, $1000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91 GTS, 71k, entire car is in like new/mint condition, $4950

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

teej

Hi all! I've actually been a member for almost a year, so I'm not really a new member, but this is my first post outside the For Sale section. Anyway, a situation has come up where I need a car ASAP. I've got two options, really....

Option 1:
1991 GTS, sold by dealer, 71k, loaded, car is in like new/mint condition, new belts, pumps, seals, fluids, etc. Asking $4950, but I bet I can get it for an even $4000).

Option 2:
1995? GT, sold by co-worker/dealer, supposedly 200k, "runs great", exterior is in mint codition, but I haven't seen the interior. Asking $3000, but after telling him that I wouldn't pay more than $1000, he said he would sell it for that. I don't like the fact that there is 200k on the odometer, but I suppose I could drop in a 185, or even a 205 engine, and still be under the $3000 mark.

Yeah, yeah... neither of these are 'Tracs, but A) I figured you guys would have the best advice, and B) I think I've searched for a 'Trac long enough to ask at least one non-AT question.

So... advice? Suggestions?

okc_celica

to me, it's a no brainer tj... get the 71K car (if its the right color) ... it starts, steers and stops - plus it's already had the expensive maintainance (i would get a second opinion on that just to be sure) or you could buy my car :evil:

SuperWhite92

I think the guy with the '91 is asking too much, even if it's lower mileage. If you can get the '95 for what he's saying, and your goal in the end is to replace the engine, why does it matter how many miles are on there?

teej

I would be totally content with another GTS, like my old one. I agree that the 91 would be the best route. Maybe add a turbo/IC kit later... JDM lights, etc. The more I see the 6th gen body style, though, the more I want that one instead.

okc_celica":v79t71wa said:
"...or you could buy my car"
I'd love to have an All-Trac, but right now, it's just not practical.

SuperWhite92":v79t71wa said:
"why does it matter how many miles are on there?"
Well, it doesn't, to me, but if I ever wreck it, I don't want insurance companies to declare it totalled because there's 200k+ miles on it, and if I have to sell it, I don't want that high reading to scare off potential buyers.

EDIT: By the way, what is a fair price for the 91? I was thinking more like $4000 since State Farm appraised my 92 GTS @ $3800.

EDIT #2: The GTS is burgundy, and the GT is silver.

bloodMoney

When I worked at the garage, I had my 91 GT with 100K on the clock and the other mechanic owned a 96 GT with 250K and the D@MN thing ran better than mine! So, don't let the mileage scare you. After all, It Is A TOYOTA! :smokes:

So, it's really your preference...

-bloodMoney

TomsGT4

Oh my the GT is a dog with a 2.2L under there.
And this is going to also very much depend on if it's standard or not.
The 1996 GT I drove was an automatic & I felt like I was driving a rock.

teej

Got more photos and a mechanic's update from the guy selling the GTS. The car isn't in mint condition like I thought. I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10.

Cosmetics: There is a small dent to the left of the fuel door. Also, it appears that this Celica has pinstripes, which have since peeled off. The left headlight doesn't go down all the way, and a small piece of the black trim has broken off. The most noticable damage is on the extreme edge of the left fender, next to the damaged headlight, but even this is hardly noticeable. Also, the black trim under the front lip of the hood is warped. but I could easily replace that piece with one from the scrapyard. The hood is dent-free, but has several very fine scratches. The front right fender is pushed in where the bottom right corner meets the bumper. The clear coat is gone from the top of the left mirror. The roof has the same fine scratches foud on the hood, but are only on the sunroof. It looks like a lot of the scratches could be buffed out with a little rubbing compound and wax. I was told that the car was in a wreck, which was reported to Carfax, but aside from the damaged headlight, everything looks like it's in good condition.

Mechanics: In addition to having new belts, fluids, and pumps put in a few weeks ago, this past week, it had the entire A/C system replaced, new wires, plugs, caps, rotors, and tires put on. :D

A quick question for you guys regarding sunroofs...
I've seen some 6th gens with a factory glass sunroof. Did any of the 5th gens have them, and if so, could a solid one be easily replaced with the glass one?

Now I just have to get mom's approval. :shoots:

I've got my grandmothers support, and I've no problem with getting this without anyone else knowing, but I can't afford to be kicked out of the house. Not yet, anyway. I am getting a substantial raise at the end of this month, though, so maybe I should wait until then. :lol:

TomsGT4":3hzns978 said:
Oh my the GT is a dog with a 2.2L under there ... The 1996 GT I drove was an automatic & I felt like I was driving a rock.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :shrug:

UPDATE!!!

Earlier this afternoon, I forwarded the first set of photos to mom (@ work). I didn't get to read her reply until just now.
Mom":3hzns978 said:
IT APPEARS TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE. DEALERSHIPS ARENT ALWAYS SO HONEST EITHER. VIN NUMBER AND CARFAX IT??
Now if she weren't somewhat OK with this, would she suggest that I spend money on a CarFax report? I don't think so. I think I'm starting to win this battle!!

CARFAX UPDATE

I just ran the VIN through CarFax, and here's what I got.

- 11.28.1990: Shipped from Japan to dealer in Louisiana.
- 2.20.2004: Engine and electrical system serviced.
- 3.13.2004: Sold in New Mexico.
- 11.12.2004: Back in Louisiana with new owner.
- 7.06.2005: Collision to left rear.
- 9.16.2005: Registered in county declared flood disaster area by FEMA.
- 7.06.2006: Vehicle offered for sale.

okc_celica

wrecked and submerged... hate to be a party pooper, but i'd be way out on that car teej.. rust could be hiding everywhere...

teej

I'm not so sure. I've seen pics of the engine bay, undercarriage, and wheel wells, and there's no rust at all, other that what's to be expected of a 15 year old car.

Mafix

underwater damage isn't something you can just see. everything that is buried under something else will be damaged. stay away from that car.

teej

I've sent the dealer an e-mail RE: flood damage. True, he could totally lie to me, but he knows that I, too, have a CarFax report, so maybe he'll be a little more open? I'm watching another car in the area, so it wouldn't hurt to check out the GTS anyway. In the meantime, I'll run the VIN through the NICB flood vehicle database to see if that uncovers anything.

EDIT: The NICB doesn't have anything on it.

teej

xeladur":3pngqdnm said:
I say do a st205 motor in the 6th gen!

I think I'm going to have to. Neither my mom or grandmother (on mom's side) are able to co-sign for me since they've filed for bankruptcy. The only way I could get it is for my grandmother in Texas to co-sign, but like I just said, she's in Texas. I wonder if I could get a loan through her bank?

Anyway, I guess I'll start researching ST205 engines. *edit* Actually, the more I think about it, the more excited I get. I'd have the most freaking awesome car in town! :shoots:

By the way, would a ST205 engine work with a 6th gen automatic trans.? I only ask because I think that's what the GT has, and I won't have the $$$ to buy both the engine and trans. at the same time.

suprakid95

how would you get the cash for the engine? its not just a drop in eather....and it'll take a bit of time, but you said you need a car ASAP. I'm just saying it might not be the cheapest route by far. and will probably end up costing more then 3k.

teej

Well the GT still runs strong, but it will need a new engine eventually. I figure I've got time to come up with the money.

I still want the GTS, though.

2RM

A 95 is a great start for a 205 convertion but a 1000 is a bit much I would get it for 400-600 hundred

teej

There's no way he'll take $400-600.
1) He's a dealer.
2) He was originally asking $3000.
3) Right now, it's his daily driver.

I think I'm just going to pass on the GT. It would be too much $$$ to do an engine/tranny swap. It's just not worth the money and labour.

bloodMoney

okay teej,

lets think about this rationally for a minute... 1000 for a GT that will need about 2000 worth of work down the road. Or, 4000 for a GTS that was flooded out and may just need the same amount of work eventually... (correct me if i didn't follow that right) I dont mean to be a di#k here but looking at strictly monetary differences here, I'd go with the GT and start saving my pennies!

-bloodMoney

teej

bloodMoney":y112h6i8 said:
okay teej,

lets think about this rationally for a minute... 1000 for a GT that will need about 2000 worth of work down the road. Or, 4000 for a GTS that was flooded out and may just need the same amount of work eventually... (correct me if i didn't follow that right) I dont mean to be a di#k here but looking at strictly monetary differences here, I'd go with the GT and start saving my pennies!

-bloodMoney
Well I'm not capable of doing an engine swap myself, so I would have to pay someone to do that, and after the cost of the engine and having it shipped here, it's just not worth the money.