165 top feed injector options EXPOSED!

ion_four

Someone was asking about this, but I lost the thread. In short, it seems that Honda/DSM injectors will work on the 165 top feed rail!

The pictures compare an injector from a ~92-95 Honda Civic D16Z6 to the measurements of a ST165 stock injector. The Honda injector is slightly larger in every measurement, which means it should seal fine, except that it might need a slightly thicker spacer, or a washer put under the spacer, since it doesn't need to seal. Guess who's ordering some bigger Honda/DSM injectors? :)

Overall length of 165 injector is shown on caliper...as a side note, the injector is longer but does NOT appear to protrude into the intake port path:
injectorcompare1.jpg

Length of 165 from top to grommet is shown on caliper:
injectorcompare2.jpg

Length of 165 injector from spacer to grommet is shown on caliper:
injectorcompare3.jpg

ion_four

yeah, they aren't indentical, but close enough that I don't see why they wouldn't work! They are within a couple mm in length, fit in the head grommets and fit in the fuel rail. That's what I'm doing when I upgrade injectors, as soon as I find a deal.

nfn15037

Oh, I should have posted this. I am using my RC 750s from my old Honda project in my 165. I thought it was common knowledge! :) They work with zero mods to the 165 head or fuel rail.

ion_four

ding RC 550 here i come. mabye grind the rail mounts down a bit to fit tighter.

I dunno...I would just stick a washer in between the injector and the injector->rail spacer...IF it's necessary...it might not even be needed if the injector sits far enough in the rail. I didn't try because I just moved across town and could only find one Honda injector in my piles of boxes...

Oh, I should have posted this. I am using my RC 750s from my old Honda project in my 165. I thought it was common knowledge! They work with zero mods to the 165 head or fuel rail.

Yeah, I figured they would fit, but I thought this would be good proof, aside from someone ACTUALLY running them ;) Awesome that it requires zero mods. Did you replace the o-rings/grommets/spacers? It seems like mine, at least, would need to be replaced to really tighten things up.

Good stuff for future reference. Good work

Thanks! So, I guess the question is will ANY injectors that fit on a DSM work for us? I'd guess so, but the PTE injectors I've seen for the DSMs look kind of odd...though, they are cheap!

//Zee-Roh//

Are 550's drop in (assuming I get the ATS racing modified fuel rail as well)? Or do I need to tune for it? Would it just run at a lower duty cycle? I'm only shooting for 300hp guys..... :cry:

nfn15037

I used the upper o-rings that came with the injectors (got some new ones from the auto parts store) and the lower ones I got new from Toyota and jammed the RCs into them. They fit well, I'll let you know how they work if the car ever gets started, but I have pressurized the system and no leaks from the rail.

ion_four

Are 550's drop in (assuming I get the ATS racing modified fuel rail as well)? Or do I need to tune for it? Would it just run at a lower duty cycle? I'm only shooting for 300hp guys.....

The injectors physically drop in, but the ECU won't know anything has changed, so it will be dumping in 550/440cc more fuel. You'll have to get an ecu reflash (though I don't know of anyone offering this for the 165 ECU), stand-alone EMS or piggy-back, such as the S-AFC, GReddy e-Manage or similar.

Also, I don't see any reason to get a modified fuel rail on a 165, unless you're going for WELL over 400whp. The passage in the top-feed rail is easily twice the cross section as the side-feed rail so it should flow enough for quite a bit of power.

used the upper o-rings that came with the injectors (got some new ones from the auto parts store) and the lower ones I got new from Toyota and jammed the RCs into them. They fit well, I'll let you know how they work if the car ever gets started, but I have pressurized the system and no leaks from the rail.

If they don't leak, it should work, though under XXpsi boost the fuel pressure will be XXpsi more, too. Also, did you 750's require a resistor pack on the Integra? If not, then they are high-impedence, and I'd wager the 165 injectors are low-impedence, though I haven't measured, and this might make for bad times with the ECU.

Mafix

165's are low impedence but easily gotten either way...low or high. also you can get balanced too. so....if this is the case then from my current knowledge.

HONDA injectors will work
DSM injectors will work
FORD BOSCH injectors will work with spacers (about 1/2" worth)
of course TOYOTA will work

Mafix

STICKY PLEASE!!! also Ion...you may want to put that into the title. or we can repost this in the FYI section.

nfn15037

ion_four":3m5tkryh said:
Also, did you 750's require a resistor pack on the Integra? If not, then they are high-impedence, and I'd wager the 165 injectors are low-impedence, though I haven't measured, and this might make for bad times with the ECU.

No, they are high impedance. I am running a standalone anyways. If you remove the stock Toyota resistor pack and run high impedance injectors directly from the ECU they will be fine.

alltrac.net

RC already sells replacements for ST165s. Basic top feed replacements. I had RC 550s on my ST165 in 1999. If you have the money, that is the way to go, done.

The easiest/cheapest upgrade is RX7 550s. Uses the same injector clip and drops in. They ARE high impedance, but still work.

ion_four

I've read that there are only a few functional styles of injectors, so I think this confirms it...

Some RX7 injectors are 550cc and some are 850cc...there might even be other sizes, but I'm sure some digging on google will make everything clear!

If someone wants to make this a sticky, let me know and I'll edit my first post and title to kind of sum it up a little bit!

alltrac.net

FC3S Turbo , not sure on years of FC3S. The cars only come with 2, so you need to find 2 from 2 different cars.

They are purple topped denso.

gearhead313

robert@alltrac.net":2xz9rh8u said:
They are purple topped denso.

Thanks man... I do remember them being purple.

I could be really wrong, but I thought I remembered 300zx tt injectors being purple...?

tw2

That was me asking all about the 165 injectors. I finally got a 165 rail to convert to work on the 185 head for top feed. So blue top 440cc DSM's here I come. (just out of interest what does DSM stand for/mean?)