bov question

marklar88

this is a seriously newb question that i am almost embarassed to post... bovs are hooked up btw the ic and turbo, right?? how is it that coolant is not released when pressure is?

SuperWhite92

marklar88":4xd3ap6e said:
this is a seriously newb question that i am almost embarassed to post... bovs are hooked up btw the ic and turbo, right?? how is it that coolant is not released when pressure is?

A bov is installed anywhere between the throttle body and the compressor(intake) side of the turbo. It can go anywhere, since it's purpose is to relieve the pressure caused by the sudden closure of the throttle body in the intake tract.

The reason that coolant isn't released is that it has no relation to the intake tract. Air flows through the intake part of the intercooler and transfers it's heat into the metal along it's path inside the intercooler. The WTA intercooler's water flows through a seperate system, and is continually pumped to carry the heat away from the intake system. The water itself (and the coolant in the intercooler system) only comes in contact with the outside of the metal which the air is transferring it's heat to.

Kinda hard to explain on the internet. let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

Gary

Instead of cooling the core by air flow (like a/a FMIC or ST185 TMIC), W/A IC cools the charged air by passing the coolant around the IC core.
Think of an air-to-air intercooler core stuffed in an aluminum tank filled with coolant.
Then, you pump the coolant and let it flows through the system.
It carries the heat from the the core (which has charged air inside) and
releases it out at the heat exchanger mounted on the front of the car.

So, there are two separated systems (charged air and liquid)
The BOV vents pressure from the charged air system.
So, it has nothing to do with liquid system.

syko says

Gary":3943xgze said:
Think of an air-to-air intercooler core stuffed in an aluminum tank filled with coolant.

so think of a reg ATA IC attached with a bov... put it into a metal box around the ATA core (not around bov)... add some coolant into the metal box.. cover the box.. and taw daw youve made yourself a WTA IC.. (not really but you know). id really draw it out Gary style, but its late in hawaii, and im tired. its not really hard to understand. youre probably thinking too hard :p

Gary

wtaicqo2.jpg

marklar88

ok, i think that I have it, the charged air flows back thru the ic and passes the fins containin coolant and thats what cools it b4 it goes into the throttle body?? I almost have it please work with me, I was the little bastard that always needed a little extra attention from the teacher in 3rd grade(not dumb, just takes a while for the momentum to build)