ahhh...st165 offset question

ok, so considering getting a new set of rims.

they are 15x7 with 42mm offset. i don't know how the whole offset thing works, so i'm just checking...will they fit/not give odd handling characteristics?

thanks for any help.

well, i guess i'm not gonna get em. cuz even if they fit, i'm guessing i can't really run anything over a 205 tire on them, and i want 215 or 225 if i can.

so, ooh well. sucks...they were perfect gunmetal ones like i want with some alpine tires, and only 150 bucks right now.

ooh well :shrug:

illGT4

scandinavian link":110fb9zk said:
well, i guess i'm not gonna get em. cuz even if they fit, i'm guessing i can't really run anything over a 205 tire on them, and i want 215 or 225 if i can.

so, ooh well. sucks...they were perfect gunmetal ones like i want with some alpine tires, and only 150 bucks right now.

ooh well :shrug:

? I'm pretty sure you can run atleast a 225 on a 7" rim.

Maybe I misunderstood you.

i meant because of the offset. if it's already going to be questionable because of the offset, having the tires as wide as i can fit on the rim is just going to guarantee rubbing....right?

Gary

Read Rick's post. He is running 15x7 with 45mm offset and need 3mm to clear the strut. So, your wheels are 42 mm, they should clear the strut. Otherwise, a pair of thin spacers (3-5 mm) should be able to fix the problem.

i know that they should fit...if barely.

i just thought that since it would be so close, wouldn't that mean i can't run very wide tires, due to the fact that they go out further than the wheel itself?

like i said, i don't know much about this. that was just my understanding, that since the offset would be a close call, i'd be stuck with 205 tires to keep it at the same width as the rim itself.

and i don't want to use spacers if possible.

i dunno, you all are much smarter than i am, and i don't understand it too well, so...i'm lost :twisted:

illGT4

scandinavian link":26fe2jqt said:
i know that they should fit...if barely.

i just thought that since it would be so close, wouldn't that mean i can't run very wide tires, due to the fact that they go out further than the wheel itself?

like i said, i don't know much about this. that was just my understanding, that since the offset would be a close call, i'd be stuck with 205 tires to keep it at the same width as the rim itself.

and i don't want to use spacers if possible.

i dunno, you all are much smarter than i am, and i don't understand it too well, so...i'm lost :twisted:

It's okay being confused.. everyone is equal here.

Why don't you like spacers? If not spacers the only real choice is to get a different width/offset wheel.

about the spacers...i dunno. i suppose i'd just like things to fit properly and not feel like i'm band aiding things together.

as far as that being the way unless i go with different width or offset...that's why i was deciding not to buy them. to wait till i found a set with an offset that would work better.

so anyway. about the width of the tires...am i wrong? i see i did word it badly when i said i couldn't use a 215 or 225 on them. i understand i could mount them on the wheels, i just didn't know if they'd work on the car because of the offset.

sorry :wink:

illGT4

scandinavian link":1g06luhy said:
about the spacers...i dunno. i suppose i'd just like things to fit properly and not feel like i'm band aiding things together.

To each their own.

besides...roo was talking bad about them :lol: but yeah, i know alot of people here use them and like them alot.

so, i dunno. we'll see i guess. if i can snag them at close to 150 or so, i may do it anyway, and maybe get spacers. we'll see.

90_1.JPG

i just like gunmetal and black rims...the tires are a bit tall tho :| but they'd only be used for rallyx...unless they are too tall for that too. IF i decided to buy them that is.

Rick89GTS

I didn't like the idea of spacers either but using 2 thin 3mm spacers on there rear end was nothing to worry about.

yeah i know. i was just posting a random auction to show them :wink:

there is a complete lack of good aftermarket wheels in decent sizes/bolt pattern/offset...at least pertaining to celicas