st165 to st185turbo/manifold OPTION 2 *updated*

klue

Ok, here is the story. This is basically my solution to not being able to use a st185 aussie
downpipe and exhaust i ordered. If you havent read http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2136
saved_1992's write up then get to it, and read the enitre post because many questions can be
answered there.

I took a differnt path, not wanting to wait on a flange to arrive and generally just going with what i got.
Please understand I am not a mechanic nor jesus, so if you break or generally screw something up
i take no responsibility this is just a guide as to how i do it.

Parts list
Partneeded (what i used)
1-st185 turbo and manifold (jdm st185 ct26 ceramic)
2-Oil pipe gasket and coolant #15526-88380 #15471-88341 #16347-88340 (2)
3-st165 head-manifold gasket #17173-88380 x2 *TWO PEICE GASKET*
4-st185 turbo-manifold gasket # 17278-88381
5-st185 downpipe-turbo gasket # 17279-88381
6-st185/165 oil reutrn rubber hose 15491-88380
7-coupler to connect turbo-intercooler
8-3/8 and 1/4 id hose
9 1 1/16 (socket and wrench)

Removal
* bag and note system works well, get a ziplock bag fill it with subject oriented parts leave a note on it
close the bag.
*gunk liquid wrench works wonders for stuck parts

radiator fan
turbo
manifold
oilfilter
alternator

part one
Swap over oil lines, water lines with new gaskets. Now is a good chance to check
-wastegate operation
-clean parts
-axle play
-port and polish ?!?!
- change clutch fluid

part two

READ over saved_1992 write up
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2136

after parts are cleaned and ready for test fit. Assemble the turbo/manifold and oil pipe and test fit assembly.

Most of your parts.

exhaustsmall0396gc.jpg

Cut pipe as shown to ease bending of bracket to mount in stock location

exhaust0415oa.jpg

How i slightly bent oil cooler pipe

exhaust0429tr.jpg

BEFORE
exhaust0195pa.jpg

AFTER
exhaust0294ua.jpg

Concerns:
Your primamry concern doing this is your oil return/feed pipe. It will not bolt right up. I have two solutions
-st165 pipe = bending
-st185 pipe =bending but eliminates oil cooler pipe

Option 1 using st165 pipe
You must cut the bracket that secures the oil feed line to the oil return line. Only cut it about a cm to allow
some freedom in moving the oil feed line around/bending. Now you must bend the first section of the oil feed line labled 2 in the diagram. This only takes a small bend to work. The only trick to this is that i cant explain exactly how to bend it. Your going to have to just do it. Take the turbo on/off with the pipe making slight adjustments until you get it to seat flush. I gound the surfaces slightly to help with gasket sealing.

Option 2 using st185 pipe
Same kind of deal excpet this requires more work. This requires bending of both feed and return pipes to clear the
wasgate arm, ac compressor and ultmately i didnt use it because i couldnt find a hose to lengthen the rubber oil return hose.
*st185 oil feed/return pipe*
exhaust0406mw.jpg

*mounted with st185 pipe*
exhaust0294ua.jpg

** Ive done both, so dont tell me it doesnt work. Option number 1 is alot less bending and remarkablly easier after doing option 2 **

Concer 2:

Your stock intercooler to turbo coupler will not work. This mod pushes the turbo a good 6-7 inches away from the mouth of the intercooler. A few soultions:
1 Cut the hose in half, insert metal pipe and clamps.
2 Get a silicone hose to fit
3 If u have a blowoff valve- Samco can make longer Those pipes but you have to get your dealer to specify to make each end longer 3cm. I contacted samco for this information. 935 no long deals with samco.
4 get a st185rc/st205 intercooler.

Slight port and polish
exhaust0437lx.jpg

**I will keep updating this as i go, Feel free to ask quetions but again this is just a guide, and what i did your
vechicle may not be exaclty the same. **

UPDATE 1 as of march 23 06
For the non-believers here are some pics of my beautiful clearence

here is the oil cooler bolt on near the oil filter, and the wasgate arm lever
new0025tl.jpg

Here is the wastegate arm lever clearing the oil drain pipe
new0011bd.jpg

This picture demonstrates the cut previously mention to allow bending of the oil feed pipe
new0040vy.jpg

This is the turbo with the wasgate mounting position clearly shown.
new0035tt.jpg

theUNYTEDone

forgive me for asking a really dumb question, but i've yet to install my tubular manifold...you DO need to take out the turbo to install it, yes? :doh:

d1alltrac

what are you doing as far as the wastegate actuator arm clearance?

theUNYTEDone":1kljk9c9 said:
forgive me for asking a really dumb question, but i've yet to install my tubular manifold...you DO need to take out the turbo to install it, yes? :doh:

yes...lol

88st165

good job finding another way to do it :D . But from reading your write up i still dont understand how you gained clearence for the wastegate arm, did you switch to the st185 oil cooler?. also you mentioned you could not use the aussie dp, why not? was it for the 1st gen?

klue

I have no problem with clearence. i Will take pictures of how i mounted the wasegate on the turbo etc.

The downpipe could not be used becuase it was made for st185. I had previous to this mod, an st165 with st85 turbo and st165 manifold.

klue

PS: Saved_1992 is using a ct20b, Im usting jdm ct26 (st185) That could be the difference there in wastegate clearence

d1alltrac

theUNYTEDone":3aab3lke said:
where can i pick up a CT20B? or would somoene rather
recommend getting an upgraded CT26?

the only upgraded ct26 that is comprable to a ct20b is the ct27 sold by ATS racing. search, there have been lots of discussions on the two turbos.

back on topic....i am also using a ct26 and i didnt have enough clearance for the wastegate arm by like 1/8"-1/4"....weird

klue

thanks wizz.
d1 = does your wastegate bracket look like mine?
where is the clearance issue? near the lever or along the arm?

d1alltrac

the actuator bracket looks to be the same. IIRC the clearance issue was right at the end of the arm, the lever i guess, where the arm connects to the actual flapper on the turbine side. i'm not 100% sure cause it was a little while back but i do remember that the arm would hit one or more of the huge bolts for the oil cooler

88st165

yeah i dont get it, i barely have clearence with the spacer and i definitly hit the bolt for the oil cooler w/o the spacer. oh well it works. different options is always a plus :D

klue

Id like to find out what is differnt between my set up and yours(clearance issue) please state your setup and be very specific about items involved here. pics are nice too of your clearance area.
thanks

d1alltrac

well, no pics right now but this is everything i had to do the conversion:

-twin entry manifold (picked up locally from mr2 guy)
-twin entry CT26 (bought from member here)
-stock 185 dp/primary cat (bought from same member)
-JGS 1/2" manifold flange/spacer (from saved_1992's link in original write-up)
-turbo gasket set (toyota)
-exhaust manifold gasket x2 (felpro from autozone)
-my stock 165 oil and coolant lines
-longer bolts to replace studs (planning on switching to longer studs next time the turbo is off)

im not sure about my turbo though, it doesnt say "toyota ct-26" on it, it only says "toyota" like a ct20b but im sure its a ct26, so im not sure if its JDM or USDM but i wouldnt think that would make a difference.

//Zee-Roh//

Can I use a felpro one of the mani-to-spacer side? I think they have felpro's in stock, and I already have 1 set of steel dealership gaskets...

hacker_720

ok, I got to get in on this, I have a ST185 with a 1st gen 3SGTE and a second gen Turbo, with an ATA interheater. and my wastegate arm touches the bolt. it is fully closed, but it is actaually touching the bolt. So i don't know how luke has lots of clearing and others don't have any, and I mine works, but touches. I will get some pics tonight so we can compare.