how to upgrade 165 turbo/ic to 2 gen turbo/205ic ** UPDATED*

88st165

damn quick response!

anyway, would there be negative effects if i do not have on one? i wouldnt think there would be enough movement to strip out the bolts on the head?

saved_1992

my 165 has been driven over 6-7k without a brace, i was planning on just using a straight piece of steel and just bend the very ends to bolt to the lower hole on the block, then either to under the turbo or to a bolt on the downpipe.

KORacing

88st165":34mrq3zv said:
damn quick response!

anyway, would there be negative effects if i do not have on one? i wouldnt think there would be enough movement to strip out the bolts on the head?

I drove around for 6 months with a Street Brawler and no brace, so I imagine you'd be ok. I'm suprised how many clearance issues there are running the 2nd gen turbo. The SB will fit without any spacer behind the 2nd gen manifold. That's what I'd put on a gen 1 :D -- I'd really like to see how it does on one as we haven't yet had one installed and tested on the gen 1.

88st165

to run the sb kit on the 1st gen is pretty much my final goal for my car but that is a few years down the road for me..... do you think i should still run the downpipe brace b/c im sure i can get it to work with some modification.... also do you think there is some added stress b/c of the spacer b/c the whole assem is further away from the head?

88st165

damn, i wish these kits were available before i started but it was fun trying to figure out what would work and gathering all the parts and have it in the end work out great! these kits will make it a hell of alot easier and also perform better in the long run.

88st165

ive only driven mine around the block a few times b/c its getting ready for paint so its basically bare. so far ive gotten it up to 80 going to the gas station and it feels a thousand times better than it did w/ single entry. i still notice lag when punching it in second gear. i cant wait to get my ct27 on and see how that goes. ill report back after my car gets painted and i put it back together and beat on it alittle (next week).

it sounds like the people who have done this have had great success, though it seems that not too many people are interested in taking up this type of mod.

saved_1992

question what does it take to get a sticky done to this :shrug:

is it because it is not to do with a 185 ?

were is the love of modding the 165 :D

//Zee-Roh//

I have just now realized the nightmare I've gotten myself into... :cry:

I'm probably going to be hitting this thread up like crazy after I attempt to get it all put in...I just found out a TON more info that I thought was there...

My samco flange is useless now??? :cry: :cry: I have life right now...

CryoGoblin

its ok your going to get through it, :p, i managed to somehow get through it :D, just follow the site and you should make out fine, everyone here pretty much have got past all the different problems :S

d1alltrac

@joel--its really not all that hard, as long as you have the spacer the only part that is even close to hard is bending the oil lines but that isnt even that bad. if you have any questions i'll be glad to help

//Zee-Roh//

I'll definately be lookin' you up... This is starting to cost a LOT more money than I had once planned. Do you have an AIM? PM me... I have a few questions that need answering.

88st165

//Zee-Roh//":2m820gc5 said:
This is starting to cost a LOT more money than I had once planned.

haha..... sadly it always does. The lines/fitting/adapters and the longer studs was the hardest and took the most time finding and aquiring. good luck and keep chipping away at it and it will be done in no time.

88st165

oh yeah you can also use the 2nd gen heat shield if you notch out a spot for the coolant line if you are using the 1st gen coolant that goes to the rad. i was running without the heat shield and it would start to melt away the hood liner. ill get a pic up tomarrow.

//Zee-Roh//

Good thing I already took off my hood liner because it was crappy, eh? I'm getting an HPC coated mani, so that'll take the heat down, as well as a downpipe. Should I heat wrap the downpipe?

88st165

//Zee-Roh//":2gc8kxeb said:
Good thing I already took off my hood liner because it was crappy, eh? I'm getting an HPC coated mani, so that'll take the heat down, as well as a downpipe. Should I heat wrap the downpipe?

you know i was really considering heat wrapping the down pipe beacuse it is so close to the radiator. i dont remember if people recommended it or not, im going to have to do a search again, but more than likely i will end up wrapping it anyway and if the dp cracks then ill just get it welded again.