Considering buying an alltrac

WarTowels

I'm considering buying an Alltrac I found in Mass. My only real concern is the mileage.

It has 150,000ish miles.

Whats the geneal life span of the aveage allrac?

Should I look for one with less miles? Other than the miles, the car is in great condition. Any thoughts?

WarTowels

93' ST-185

Solid body, not rust.
Seals, belts redone.

153,000 miles

Asking 5,500 (Im hoping to knock that down a little cause im poor.)

maxaud

get it for sure, in 1993 there were only 81 produced (In the USA), and I'm sure there is only have that amount left. I think It's a fair price, but I'd still try and knock him down.

maxaud

WarTowels":2s5tw5ec said:
93' ST-185

Solid body, not rust.
Seals, belts redone.

153,000 miles

Asking 5,500 (Im hoping to knock that down a little cause im poor.)

was the timing belt redone?

WarTowels

I'm sitting on a cloud right now. I haven't called the guy. But I have two people lined up to buy my 93' Celica GT. Also in great condition.

Im actually in class right now... and will be promptly calling him after.

Honestly, I just don't have any money cause college likes to bend me over repeatedly. If anything went wrong with the car, I'd have no money to fix it. That's why I ask about the miles.

The ad says, "belts redone". I'm hoping that means more than an alternator and ac belt. =/

I'll be calling him a 5, and I'll post back later with the results.

I've wanted an alltrac for... life.

Hopefully this will be my big break.

-Greg

maxaud

you could probably get it and shine it up and sell it for more here on the boards if you do find that it's not the car for you.

WarTowels

I'll keep that in mind ^_^

My 93' has never, ever, ever had a problem that I didn't cause. :doh: Two years and running with 25,000 miles put on it. I've got two offers for $3,000 on it. I can't wait til 5:00. I can't pay attention in class right now lol.

-Towels

WarTowels

Spoke with the man about the trac, seemed to know his stuff. Has had "lots of interest" and has people coming to look at the car this sunday (tommorow). I however, am in NY and can't get back to mass till next weekend.

So assuming noone buys it in the next week, I basicly told the man I just need to look at it and test it and I'll buy it.

So pray noone buys it before me!!!

...so nervous :cry:

-Towels

Denver_whiteST185

the tranny's syncros tend to go out around that point, depending on how it was driven.

Thats a good price. mine has similar milage and i got it for $5k.

Before you buy it, spend $100 and take it to a mechanic to check it out. they'll be able to tell you if there are any things wrong with it. also, there are a few alltrac guys in new york. have one of them test drive it for you and ask their opinion on the condition.

If anything is sounding funny, you may want to get it pressure tested with a leakdown test to make sure the engine is good. check the CV boots for cracks and tears. make sure the rear diff mount is decent (it makes a difference, i bought mine with a bad rear mount), ask lots of maintaince questions like when was the last time all the fluids got changed, wearable parts got replaced (brakes, clutch, ignition componants, etc.), and so on. Is it raced or driven hard on a consistant basis?

if it still sound good after all that, then definant get it. if you see the car costing another $10k in the next year, you may want to pass unless you have the funds.

WarTowels

Well the trac is in mass, I'm in NY. Next weekend after class lets out I'm going to drive 7 hours home. Then the next day drive an hour to go look at it. :|

I'll look up a toyota dealer in the area, give them a call.

I really hope I can beat anyone else to the punch and get it!

I love my GT, but it's time to upgrade.

My current baby:

DSC00243.jpg

Denver_whiteST185

check for rust if your up in the northeast. i had a GT that i bought in NH, and it was rusted underneath badly. if its really bad, then your going to have to replace suspention parts sooner than you may expect, but thats only if its really bad.

BTW, whats with the licence plate? do you just really like towels or is it your car's nickname?

WarTowels

Check the user name too. ^_^

It's from back in the day, AOL 2.0 style. I was trying to type warm towels once... and I wrote "War Towels" which the receiving end found hilarious. So I've had the SN ever since, and it sorta migrated into a personal nickname. I couldn't think of a more perfect license plate. Cops always ask about it when I get pulled over too :evil:

haha, odd story - I know.

-Towels

maxaud

syko says":16w6vkyq said:
maxaud":16w6vkyq said:
speaking of cops... I got pull'd over today... $122 ticket.

what for??? driving on the wrong side of the road? :p

I was speeding, still getting used to the converting kilometers to miles, and I didn't know the limit where I was driving.

WarTowels

That sucks. I contest every ticket I get, so as far as Maine... and New York State are concerned "I have no tickets".

So your Celi is a real JDM GT-4? How'd you swing that with registration?