Ran out of gears...

TomsGT4

First off, don't even ask how fast we were going. :doh:
Merging onto a good long clear stretch of highway I rode up behind a Dodge Ram SRT-10, but ummm, I couldn't tell what it was at first.
As soon as we passed the last car I decided to just plunk her into 4th and blow by for a little fun. But he saw this & punched it.
So now I'm close enough to see the SRT-10 on the back of that beast & I gave it all she's worth.
Went in behind because well, I couldn't pass, & so I played "try to keep up".
I did until I was about 2 seconds into 5th. He put it up a gear & a black puff of smoke came at me & I saw he gained a little ground. Not much, maybe a few feet, but I'd say he got me.
I thought later that I had maybe put it in 5th too soon, but I did a search & found these suckers are 6ers.
Good little fun I had. Like sharing -thanks!

Denver_whiteST185

i did the same thing on I-25 against a C5 corvette. i played catch up, and kept up preatty damn good, but i ran out of gears when he flew past me about a mile before my exit, and i was doing 130ish when he past me (he was doing in excess of 140)

MrWOT

I wouldn't trust a car going over 130 without some significant downforce anyway :shrug: But it would be nice to have the capability ;)

SuperWhite92

MrWOT":3b5j00tj said:
I wouldn't trust a car going over 130 without some significant downforce anyway :shrug: But it would be nice to have the capability ;)

The tires and the movement they create is a lot scarier than a lack of downforce

SuperWhite92

Denver_whiteST185":3dfgi0tj said:
It was on a long straight away, but it was mind boggling. you hardly realize how fast even a stock 200 hp is.

I got my "stock" alltrac up to an indicated 140 when I bought the car. I have quotes around "stock" because the wastegate line was unplugged, and my car seemingly had no speed or boost safety cutoffs.

Mafix

i've runb out of gear before but over 120ish the handling just plummets in mine. (fwd remember)

Denver_whiteST185

SuperWhite92":2owgcn8p said:
I got my "stock" alltrac up to an indicated 140 when I bought the car. I have quotes around "stock" because the wastegate line was unplugged, and my car seemingly had no speed or boost safety cutoffs.

yeah, this was with the boost controller set to stock levels and with the drivers window open (Lots of drag, at the time i was headed up to erie to get a replacement for the broken one)

Im pretty sure that the only thing that would stop someone from going as fast as they can in our cars is the rev limiter in 5th gear, which can be taken care of :D however, JDM and euro imports have a speed cut i belive.

BTW, good story about the ram. that would have been a good run.

Razzo

I had the same situation but with fords big truck, the lighting....the look i got on his face when i was beside him the whole way to 200kms....it was priceless, i saw his girlfriend stretch over to see me way down there. I have to this day, friends that don't believe i stood my ground with it...but again the 3 passangers and me know for fact :D. I love my gt four.....make me want to go drive it right now :shoots:

turbo4wd

I think its more accurate to title this thread "ran out of hp" :p

Because IIRC Bill Price had a video floating around here a while back where his speedo went a good amount past the 160 indicated in his ST185.. And as far as I know, he made no changes to the gears..

I've got that clip somewhere at home..

Denver_whiteST185

if i remember right, he also had a 10,500 RPM rev limiter, which means he could have gone to higher than 160, but you might blow the engine running at those rpms

I think 150ish is where most would hit the stock rev limiter, but your right, i don't think i would have the HP to make it to that point.

turbo4wd

Denver_whiteST185":35plu2fp said:
if i remember right, he also had a 10,500 RPM rev limiter, which means he could have gone to higher than 160, but you might blow the engine running at those rpms

I think 150ish is where most would hit the stock rev limiter, but your right, i don't think i would have the HP to make it to that point.

Yeah, I think I also remember him mentioning the higher rev-limit.. Its just nice to know that you can top out so high by just building the block up with supporting mods and not have to mess with the gears in the trans..

Denver_whiteST185

turbo4wd":3ijz0ozu said:
Yeah, I think I also remember him mentioning the higher rev-limit.. Its just nice to know that you can top out so high by just building the block up with supporting mods and not have to mess with the gears in the trans..

I think it would actually be nice to have a slightly lower geared 5th gear, for ultamate top end and fuel economy on the high way. but thats me.

turbo4wd

Denver_whiteST185":1ahxvnha said:
turbo4wd":1ahxvnha said:

I think it would actually be nice to have a slightly lower geared 5th gear, for ultamate top end and fuel economy on the high way. but thats me.

Same here..

Denver_whiteST185

well, has anyone here know of a gear that easy to get that will do this? the best idea ive heard is to get a final drive out of an RC tranny, but that will lower the gearing on all the gears. Is there a site that covers the gear ratios of different toyota gearboxes? maybe i could locate one that has a swapable gear?

Mario Koing makes his own close ratio dogboxs for alltracs. maybe i can get him to make me a lowered ratio 5th gear :twisted: