Street Brawler Kit from KO Racing

illGT4

James Unger (acylon) has fit the Street Brawler Kit to his 165 w/ 2nd gen motor. He had to cut into the hood support because the ext. waste gate was hitting the hood.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not it will fit a 185. I'm suspecting it will rub also. James was kind enough to provide pics and dimensions for me to measure.

BUT, if it rubs on the ATA 185 hood, is there a chance of additional clearance on the RC hood?

Thanks and here's a link to the street brawler kit for people who haven't seen it. http://www.koracing.net/products.html#streetbrawl

enzytebob

I hope it fits. It's a beautiful kit. KO is unwilling at this point to experiment fitting a SB on a ST185. They're doing good business right now supplying MR2's and find that the small number of Celicas do not warrant their attention, not right now anyway.

There are two guys who you can turn to: Aaron of ATS and Bill ($nocash$) of Autolab. ATS has a TD06 kit for the Alltrac. Awhile back, I got in contact with Autolab, which makes T3/T4 kits also for the MR2. While professing not to have made a kit for a Celica, Bill was willing to work with me and use me as a guinea pig to see if the modificatiion they would do to the Tial wastegate position on their Level 1 kit would clear my hood. I informed Bill that we were a largely untapped segment, not only here but around the world, that wanted to have an option other than a CT20 or a Greddy kit. I told him I was more than willing to be the first Celica owner with a $nocash$ kit under my hood! He said he had a fair idea of how to solve the clearance problem so we agreed that they were going to send me two exhaust manifolds: the one they usually make for the MR2 and the prototype for me and see which works best. But Bill was having some delivery issues with Tial that was delaying his making of the kits. A lot of MR2 owners were kept waiting including me. Bill was very apologetic about the whole thing but promised that his new wastegates would be worth the wait. Anyway, i finally gave up after waiting 2 months and respectfully canceled my order. I ended up getting a Greddy TD06 kit.

Bill is now turning out his kits so i guess his Tial problem is solved. If you want a Garrett under your hood, why don't you pick up where I left off? Bill is a great guy, btw. He has a loyal following of guys who swear by his kits.

illGT4

enzytebob":7pe94v8w said:
I hope it fits. It's a beautiful kit. KO is unwilling at this point to experiment fitting a SB on a ST185. They're doing good business right now supplying MR2's and find that the small number of Celicas do not warrant their attention, not right now anyway.

There are two guys who you can turn to: Aaron of ATS and Bill ($nocash$) of Autolab. ATS has a TD06 kit for the Alltrac. Awhile back, I got in contact with Autolab, which makes T3/T4 kits also for the MR2. While professing not to have made a kit for a Celica, Bill was willing to work with me and use me as a guinea pig to see if the modificatiion they would do to the Tial wastegate position on their Level 1 kit would clear my hood. I informed Bill that we were a largely untapped segment, not only here but around the world, that wanted to have an option other than a CT20 or a Greddy kit. I told him I was more than willing to be the first Celica owner with a $nocash$ kit under my hood! He said he had a fair idea of how to solve the clearance problem so we agreed that they were going to send me two exhaust manifolds: the one they usually make for the MR2 and the prototype for me and see which works best. But Bill was having some delivery issues with Tial that was delaying his making of the kits. A lot of MR2 owners were kept waiting including me. Bill was very apologetic about the whole thing but promised that his new wastegates would be worth the wait. Anyway, i finally gave up after waiting 2 months and respectfully canceled my order. I ended up getting a Greddy TD06 kit.

Bill is now turning out his kits so i guess his Tial problem is solved. If you want a Garrett under your hood, why don't you pick up where I left off? Bill is a great guy, btw. He has a loyal following of guys who swear by his kits.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into it.

Zeus

yeah chris i talked to bill as well back in the day about his manifolds.. he had mentioned that if it didnt fit he would take the mani back and refund my money... i was pretty impressed by that

ide love to see one of his mani's on my car one day... heck ide like to see anyones mani on my car :p

I know the stocker can flow good hp... but i dont like the adapter set up really... im sure its going to work and work fine but ehh.. its a temp solution in my books

enzytebob

Zeus":3ru2l0bx said:
yeah chris i talked to bill as well back in the day about his manifolds.. he had mentioned that if it didnt fit he would take the mani back and refund my money... i was pretty impressed by that

ide love to see one of his mani's on my car one day... heck ide like to see anyones mani on my car :p

I know the stocker can flow good hp... but i dont like the adapter set up really... im sure its going to work and work fine but ehh.. its a temp solution in my books

Don't understand what you mean by not liking the adapter setup. Did you mean the adapter that is sandwiched between the original flange and the turbo or the wastegate adapter that is welded onto the manifold? Unfortunately right now all non-Toyota turbo kits sold by either KO, ATS, or Autolab have exhaust manfold-to-turbo adaptors in their kits except maybe for those who request specially-made tubular headers (like $nocash$'s level 2 kit) where you can probably request a Greddy or Garrett flange (aren't they the same?) be welded on directly to the collector. But this now might present a minor fitment problem with the supplied downpipe which I'm sure is measured to mate up with the b-pipe taking the adapter plate thickness into consideration. But we're just talking a quarter of an inch here so it may be no big deal.

As far as the adaptor for the wastegate is concerned, unless you opt for an internal wastegate setup, there's no way of getting around it I guess. You could get LB's adaptor which doesn't require you to bore a hole on the manifold.

I heard people talking about the Greddy TD06SH kit w/ the internal wastegate having boost creep problems. I have the same kit with a 3-inch exhaust all the way, except for maybe the first 5 inches of the Greddy dp w/c looks like it's 2.5 then widens to 3". I'm not experiencing any boost creep. Boost needle stays nailed at 15psi under all WOT conditions. I just must be one of the lucky ones, i guess.

Zeus

no nactually herman said the same thing... he has the tdo6 kit and doesnt have nay issues with creep... he thinks its cuase the celica has more backpressure than the mr2 and that helps keep things in check

Im currently running the ats racing adapter for my gt30 again... in reality i guess there is nothing wrong with it.. but i dont think its ideal

maybe ill learn to weld then make my own mani :)

tweekgt4

the creep thing was from bad actuators...

some of the mr2 guys also wentt a step further and ported out the wg port.

my kit had no problems. it hold boost as far as i can tell. no spikes or creeping issues.

you get the turbo, adapter to manifold, dp, oil lines, and some misc hardware in the kit.

illGT4

Back on topic. :p

the sb kit.. does anyone know if there is more clearance in the 185 ?

what about with RC hood?

Can anyone measure for me with the RC? Herman? Griffin? Josh? Godzilla?

tweekgt4

i know ATS made a alltrac adapter for the WG under the mani...

can kO supply the kit with the WG under the mani?

i don't have an RC hood...

illGT4

tweekgt4":1fzbb1w6 said:
i know ATS made a alltrac adapter for the WG under the mani...

can kO supply the kit with the WG under the mani?

i don't have an RC hood...

Yeah, they can't reposition it. (KO)

I forgot you don't have an RC hood.. my fault. :p

ebon

hi. could you send me the pics of the SB on the 165.

I've got a RC hood.

eyeballing it. it just might fit.

the thing is if you remove the "vent portion and air scoop" panel on CS hood.and swap in a raised custom panel. i think it will be a safe bet it will fit.

illGT4

ebon":sd9wjoj6 said:
hi. could you send me the pics of the SB on the 165.

I've got a RC hood.

eyeballing it. it just might fit.

the thing is if you remove the "vent portion and air scoop" panel on CS hood.and swap in a raised custom panel. i think it will be a safe bet it will fit.

I'll post them here for discussion...
Here you go:

DSC01000.JPG

DSC01088.JPG

DSC01090.JPG

The last picture is measured from the Dipstick tube up.

Images property of James Unger.

enzytebob

The KO Tial wastegate setup is such that the outlet is part of the adaptor design. The short pipe is angled upwards so when you attach the Tial, you end up with a high-positioned wastegate, hence the clearance problem for the Alltrac which obviously is not a problem for the MR2.

As a point of comparison, look at Autolab's way of making their wastgate on their Level 1 system.
http://www.autolabonline.com/images/tur ... td06_5.JPG

The short pipe adaptor is welded directly on the manifold and angled frontwards. This looks like it will clear any Alltrac hood but will it hit the radiator? (BTW, Bill has announced that he is discontinuing the Level 1 Kit.)

Which takes us now to his Level 2 kit which employs a custom exhaust.

http://www.autolabonline.com/images/turbokits/mani2.JPG

Look at the way the wastegate pipe is angled. It makes a hard right, which I think is good news for us Alltrac owners. This most certainly will not hit the hood. The question again is.. will it hit the radiator? I think not. The downside to level 2 is the price.. $2,400

ebon

My link to my piping from my FMIC.
http://community.webshots.com/album/189894746RXXWsq

if you look at the piping. i reckon its about the height of the tial wastegate. my piping is rubbing the hood a bit.
if you're familiar with the CS hood. its the portion just anterior to the
vent.

will try and get some measurements later.

anywaz looks like its a no go for me with the SB kit.

tweekgt4

can we say new bulge in the good?

or a hole...

does it look like there is enough room to modify the wg pipe to clear the st185 hood? say a cut and reweld?

enzytebob

If it can be done for the td06 it can certainly be done for a Garrett setup.

For the life of me I don't understand why any of the three companies mentioned in this thread haven't made one just for Celicas. Only Aaron and to a lesser extent Bill have made solutions but using the TD06
as the platform.

I.E., there's a few bucks to be made by someone enterprising enough to do this. Unfortunately, welding is not my strong suite.

You could sell a few not only here, but all over the world (Ebay)... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Ok this is gonna sound retarded but Im new to this whole thing. What does the Kit enclude?? Is it a turbo kit?? Im lost

illGT4

"The kit includes a manifold adapter, which is CNC machined from a solid steel billet and bolts to the stock manifold to retain OEM reliability. The other components include a full 3" mandrel bend down pipe with integrated 1.5" diameter wastegate dump tube, with it's own flex section, a Tial 38mm external wastegate,and all lines, gaskets, and mounting hardware needed to install the kit. "

Yes, it's a turbo kit.

tim

For the life of me I don't understand why any of the three companies mentioned in this thread haven't made one just for Celicas. Only Aaron and to a lesser extent Bill have made solutions but using the TD06
as the platform.

The market is simply waaaay to small to develop ST185-specific parts. Generally, the parts available to us are largely available because they happen to interchange with the SW20 (although the Aussie downpipe is a weird exception....it was developed for the 165/185 first and then found to fit the SW20). If you tried to build a business off of custom parts for the GT-Four in the US, you'd be toast very quickly.

My $.02....based on selling Aussie Exhaust to GT-Four and SW20 owners for the last three years.

Tim
Aussie Exhaust - USA
www.aussie-speed.com