noobie all-trac question

amir904

im very new to the all-trac. i might buy a 88 this week. :D im almost set on one. what exactly is a BOV good for? i know its used to dump boost pressure when the throttle is closed but is it needed? if it were, wouldn't every turbo engine come with one? does it really add performance?

Stubble

no added performance. some people like the sound when it blows. It is useful for protecting the compressor of a turbo when higher than stock boost levels are achieved.

Gary

alltrac7":32a2yk6v said:
so for stock boost a bov is a waste of money?
I think the reason the Toyota did not put a bypass valve on our cars because of the limited space. Even though I have seen CT26s from 100k + miles Alltrac with very little to no shaft play, I wouldn't say it is a waste of money.

db

alltrac7":2bp4dmz9 said:
so for stock boost a bov is a waste of money?

Toyota put bypass valves on stock MR2 turbos. If they thought they were a waste of money and resources, they would've left them off the MR2's, just like the Alltracs.

A bypass/blowoff valve keeps harmful boost from trying to flow backwards through the turbo. Even at stock boost, a bypass/blowoff valve is useful for longevity of the turbo.

smog7

i dont get u guys...... i recently just ask in another thread if should invest in a bov and most of you said NO. it was stated that with stock boost a blow off valve was not needed??? do you guys just like to change your minds?

Gary

db":pnwv9qht said:
I didn't answer in the last thread. :D
Neither did I.
But did you know that the MR2 came with by pass valve, not BOV?
By pass valve will not mess up with your A/F ratio.

toayoztan

Thus, we say in this thread, yes to BPV, definitely would not be waste of an investment.

You are probably confused b/c you don't know why they left them off our cars, but have them on the mr2. But we doubt they aren't important, b/c they did in fact put them on the mr2. However, like Gary said, it may be due to cramped space.

Bryan

Gary

alltrac7":1vjrv2e5 said:
so investing in a by pass valve would be smart?
Let's put it this way, it's not the first priority unless you have a brand new turbo or you want to keep this turbo forever. Remember that you will need to change your intake setup to accommodate the bypass valve. That means, new intake piping and/or straight intake and/or relocating the battery.

CMS-GT4

I would wait till you upgraded your turbo and IC. I think it does not make enough difference on a stock setup to bother.

smog7

what type of bov should i look for after getting the turbo? i heard that the hks one is not for stock boost?

Gary

alltrac7":37wj40c3 said:
what type of bov should i look for after getting the turbo? i heard that the hks one is not for stock boost?
Who told you that? :bs:
HKS SSQV works fine on any level of boost. (sequential opening)
It also won't leak under the pressure. (pull type)
Are you planning to vent it to asmosphere or return it back (bypass valve setup)?
Not all valve can be set up as a BPV.

smog7

im not completely sure what i want to do, which would be best?? does one offer enything that the other doesnt? i read about the hks in the gt4oc forum.

smog7

whats the difference between a re-circ bov and other bov? should i just go with a bypass valve? what bypass valves are available for my car?