couple of oil drops

smog7

well my car leaks 1-2 drops of oil after turning it off, i want to clean the engine, but im pretty sure i wont find the leak due to the reason that i dont know jack about cars (still learning) . ive been told its not a big deal but the oil drops on the floor bug the crap out of me! what should i do? should i get it checked out by toyota? i have a friend that works there, should be able to help me out....

toayoztan

If you're not sure what your'e doing and dont know jack about the alltrac/cars, then having a friend check it out is probably the best thing to do. Otherwise, if you're up to it, just jack up the car slightly, get down under the engine bay and over the engine too, and try to trace back where the oil is coming from. Let us know where and what you find, and we'll try to help you out as much as we can.

Bryan

90TURBO4WD

get it checked out
shouldnt be a massive problem if you dont get to it immediatly but be sure your checking your oil level more frequently as you know your going to be losing some.
where is it leaking from
ie front rightside, rear left side........ :shrug:
if you know where abouts its leaking from you can usually figure it out pretty easily

smog7

its leaking mainly next to the front right axle.. might be the transmission im not sure.
IMGP0332.jpg

ill try to get some better pics up later

toayoztan

Since that is all on the outside, my first guess would be your valve cover gasket. Check it and you should probably replace it anyway.

Other possibility is oil pan, since that's all on the outside, but then again, it's hard to imagine the oil traveling up as so.

Other possibilities are the cam seals and oil pump seal, however, those are located inside the timing covers, so i doubt it.

Bryan

90TURBO4WD

i really doubt its the tranny judging by that pic

might be a valve cover...or oil pan although that oil does look a litte to far up the block... not sure just keep an eye on it.
i have been driving around with a crapped out pan gasket for a while but i just watch the levels alot and keep a rag or cardboard under my car :doh:

db

Alltrac7, double check to make sure the valve cover bolts are tight. I found more than half of mine were seriously loose (though I wasn't leaking oil anywhere). The screw top bolts suck.

smog7

ill get some more pictures of the engine up tomorrow.... the valve cover has some grime on it but not as bad as the stuff in the picture......

Highway

when you get a chance, take it to a carwash and hose off all the crap up in there.
leaving oil on your CV boots wont let them last long.
be careful when tightening the valve cover bolts. try snug.
also, use a 10mm socket and snug the bolts on your oil pan. SNUG NOT TIGHT. too tight may cause leaks......

smog7

im going to try and clean out most of the oil gunk this weekend..... simple green a nylon brush, some seram wrap, tape and the hose.

theUNYTEDone

i doubt that cellophane and tape will solve your problem.
it'd just make a mess for when you have to change it.

its not for the car, but tape a piece of cardboard to your driveway/garage so that it doesnt seep into the concrete/asphault. my moms been nagging me to do this for months. hehe....

i personally think the leak may be from with the pan or oil pump...its where mine's is from.

smog7

the seram isnt going to fix it,,, im just going to use it to cover up some wires when i clean up the engine

Stubble

You're on the right track - get the engine as clean as possible, then it should be possible to see where the oil is coming from. One thing I've learned is that oil leaks can travel quite a distance, so make sure you check both sides. Another place to leak is the distributor, although that is on the opposite side of the engine.

smog7

well i started to clean the gunk off my car today i noticed that two of the valve cover bolts were loose....... are their any instructions on how to remove the intercooler so that i can check the other bolts and clean off the valve cover?

theUNYTEDone

removing the stop TMIH is pretty self explanitory...
undo the clamps and take'er out.

i believe the owners manual has a diagram showing which bolts of the valve cover to undo first (untightening sequence)...

smog7

so i go to take the intercooler off and i notice that some of the piping to the intake has a slash in it.... looks like one of the previous owners tried to force the intercooler off. do i need to replace this part?? it doesnt look like a big problem but idunno.... heres some huge pics... sorry also i was still unable to get the intercooler off. any tips?
IMGP0362.jpg

IMGP0363.jpg

IMGP0360.jpg

IMGP0361.jpg

also my car came with what looks like wire hanger pieces holding the cover of the intercool down.... whats really supposed to hold it down??
IMGP0365.jpg

IMGP0364.jpg

db

Bolts hold down the cover for the intercooler. I don't use the cover so I can't give you pics.

Second, if the throttle body rubber hose has the slit going completely through the hose, it'll allow air to leak inside/outside, causing drivability problems. Get a new hose.