Clutch questions

Gurr

Alright, my clutch is really get bad right now... I need to get a new one.
First question: Will a clutch designed for a 5th gen work for a 4th?

Second: Does anyone know where I can get one cheap?

Third: About how long does this take to do... I'm gonna be doing it in my garage or a friends garage.

Thanks for the help

GT4CE

#1) Just get an all-trac clutch, your options are pretty much Clutch Master, Center Force, RPS, and I believe someone is looking for an ORC clutch.

#2) I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can point you in a better direction than I can.

#3) Time all depends on how fast you can pull the motor and transmission out, pull them apart, replace the old clutch, put back together, and put it back in. If I were to have only done this my first time it would have taken me about a week, spending 4-6 hours on it each day.

Do you have the toyota manuals?

That might be another consideration.

Conrad_Turbo

I have a CM Stage 3 and I am very happy with it. I changed my clutch 2 years ago and it took me 2 weekends in minus 5 deg C weather and I got it done. Last year I changed the transmission and it took me a day and a half of leisurely work. So the first time will take quite a while, but if you ever do something like it again, you'll be much faster.

I have a quick "step by step" list of things to do to drop an Alltrac engine...but it's on my compy at home. I can post it later, or PM me and I will send it to you.

silence

ACT makes a clutch for the 165....its not too bad. I have it in the 165. Kind of a stiff pedal though. I'm looking at the Blitz Active Single Disc for my 185

here is a step by step engine removal with pics.
http://angrycamel.com/gallery/altrac_swap
i did it this summer in the evenings after work...around 3 or 4 hours a night.

d1alltrac

i asked this question on the old board a while back...from the responses that i got im pretty sure that the only difference between the 165 and 185 clutches are the throw-out bearings, and to make a 185 clutch work on a 165 all you would need to do would be use a 165 throw-out bearing with the 185 clutch...not exactly sure though...someone else can prob elaborate on this.

Kennyj

My friend has a spec stage 3, 6 puck in his mr2 and it works great, pretty much stock pedal feel, but grabs very good. I think mister3 on the mr2 board sells them for around 400 shipped

SuperWhite92

I own a SPEC stage 2 and I couldn't be happer. It chatters a bit when cold, but is about ten thousand times better than the stocker.

Petal weight is the SAME as stock, but the catch will catch lower to the floor. All aftermarket will.

I got it for 380 in 5 days from nipponpower.com