car seemed slow

Whyte185

i'm lookin at a 92 st185 and i took it for a test drive today and it seemed kinda slow i expected alot more, could be i'm just use to my brothers 91 supra TT but i don't know. It was also leakin oil so i'm going to have it checked out by a mechanic and if its not a leak i can't fix then i'm buyin the car next i can do toweekend but are there anythings give the car alittle more umph right off the bat other then intake and DP and exause?

theUNYTEDone

great....well, were you honestly expecting a GT4 to be up-to-par with an MKIV?

an MBC is another common mod (BPU)
as you will hear many of us tell you, do a search.
it saves everyone a lot of flaming and time wasting.

Could also be a JDM JZA70 import, as well.

As far as it goes, the 1JZ-equipped MK3 rates at about 280HP. The ST185 rates at 200... the MK3's going to be substancially quicker.

As far as it goes, on these cars exhaust tweaks free up a lot. I've noticed a pretty good improvement on my '165 by gutting the stock downpipe, although at the same time I threw a 7MGTE turbo on it. Just do a little searching around the site; there's also an MR2 power primer posted somewhere which is a very good reference to putting reliable performance mods on the 3SGTE.

CryoGoblin

91 TT :S:S, lol, probably is a MKIII, does the power kick in at about 6k? lol if it does thats a 1jz haha, my friends brother has one, its fun n fast but at high rpms, unlike the 7m :p

Whyte185

yes my brothers car is a MKIII and yes its TT and yes its from Japan, and no it makes full boost around 2800 rpm not 6k. but the celica i drove didn't feel any faster then my old 90' GT-S which is what really surprised not the fact it was slower then my bros supra.

Gary

Whyte185":26vm2hfk said:
but the celica i drove didn't feel any faster then my old 90' GT-S
Then there must be something wrong with that ST185.
Stock ST185 is much faster than a 90' GT-S.

Sleeka_89

if its got cheap shitty fuel in it, it will cause the car to retard the timing and lower the boost, both at which will make the car pretty slow, but still should be a bit quicker than a gt-s. But even at the best of times the 185 isnt a pocket rocket at stock levels, but with BPU's they are entertaining :D

Sleeka_89":1t4tcjmd said:
if its got cheap shitty fuel in it, it will cause the car to retard the timing and lower the boost, both at which will make the car pretty slow, but still should be a bit quicker than a gt-s. But even at the best of times the 185 isnt a pocket rocket at stock levels, but with BPU's they are entertaining :D

Hmm... wold a bad fuel filter contribute to this as well? Just a quick thought; this might also help me sort out some problems on my car as well.

Sleeka_89

AlltracAvenger":2idrjc4x said:
Sleeka_89":2idrjc4x said:

Hmm... wold a bad fuel filter contribute to this as well? Just a quick thought; this might also help me sort out some problems on my car as well.
yeah, a blocked fuel filter can reduce flow and pressure but it would have to be really blocked. The first thing to do after buying a used car is maintenance and MAINTENANCE!! Change out engine oil, oil filter, air filter, dizzy cap, rotor button, leads, plugs, all the fluids, fuel filter etc. Depending on how you think the owner would of looked after it, i would almost drain and clean out the fuel tank, then run nothing but premium.
Then take it from there :D

Whyte185

yeah well this car looked like it had had very little care put into it so that could be a reason but yeah i was like hmm maybe i should have just kept the GT-S if this is what a AT is like but i've decied to just import a GT4 from japan :D i think a 91 model then do a few mods myself and just daily dirve it

Honestly a 'Four can be pretty fun with some minor tweaks... I'm impressed with what little I've done to my '165, although it could do with some minor work, and probably a new engine. Since you'll be getting a lower-mileage JDM example, just do some maintence, make sure everything's running okay, then start tweaking a bit. I think you'll find yourself with a pretty fun, reliable DD.

Whyte185

yeah i talked to the importers and they said GT4's in the year i'm lookin for they are finding in the 40000km to 70000km range for about $9500 after importing, duties, and inspection. Then the place i'm getting it from replaces any parts that need to be replaced and make the car pretty much new, add cost of parts replacing to the car, then tax and i'll have the car so hopefully i can get one around the 40k mark pretty soon :D