Boost gauge opinions?

sims

Ok, OK, I know this topic has been covered before, and Yes! I did search already :)

Most of the threads were very old and with some pretty conflicting results, So I figured it wouldn’t hurt to get an up-to-date opinion, lots changes over time.

I’m wondering what kind of boost gauges your running (or have ran) and your opinions on them. Brand, mechanical vs. electric (and why?) and so forth.

Right now I’m looking at ordering an Autometer sports-comp mechanical gauge. Its less then $50 and I think its going to meet my needs for now. Right now my car is a DD and probably won’t see over 300 AWHP or 18 PSI well it remains a DD.

Lastly, I’m looking at either a 30In Hg/20PSI or 30In Hg/30PSI, I like the idea of the 20PSI gauges because I know autometer’s accuracy isn’t always exceptional and it would give me a more accurate readout, but I’m concerned about if my boost spikes and it hits 20 that I don’t really know if I’m only at 20, or if I’m really hitting something much higher.

Thanks in advance for the opinions, I know this is some basic stuff, Can you tell this is my first turbocharged car? :p

Aaron

For what it's worth, my Autometer crapped out after 2 years. I just ordered a Prosport so I'm hoping to have better luck with it.

I'm no expert, but a mechanical one is easier to install than an electrical one, so why not?

Conan

Got a mechanical GReddy unit and an electronic one that came with the EBC. I prefer mechanical gauges due to their simplicity (and a lower price :) ). However you have to be aware of the fact that you'll be running a hose with boost inside of the car :D

EDIT: I personally don't like Autometer, it's kind of like a Wal-Mart gauge :twisted:

SuperWhite92

My first gauge was a mechanical autometer phantom. While it still worked, it was reading nearly 6 psi high after 2 years.

The gauge I replaced it with was a mechanical Defi, and after a year, it's starting to lose it's calibration like the autometer.

justjoe

Not sure if you guys have seen this one, I am gunna post in the Turbo Performance thread also about this.. but it is the Dynotune Digital Boost Gauge.

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/sc ... roduct=131

blue-boost-square-large.JPG

It is available in red, blue and green lights. Looks great, and small and inconspicuous<sp?>

I think that the Red looks better.. but that is me.. =)

red-voltage-square-large.JPG

Oh they also have it is round..

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/sc ... product=20

blue-boost-blk-blk-large.JPG

darthripley

the cool thing about the dynotune boost gauge is that it also reads vacuum which is a big plus too.

i personally like the size & the fact that it doesn't "scream" boost gauge and the potential of it being a part of the stock cluster itself.

we will more than likely get the sqaure one after saving up some money after the turbo rebuild.

Whyte185

where did you see that those digi gages read vaccume?? i saw that they read from 0psi-150psi, didn't say anything about reading vaccume and if it doesn't read vaccume then its kinda useless imo

Sleeka_89

i have an autometer pro-comp boost and oil pressure gauge(mechanical). Neither after almost two years have given me trouble and both read exactly the same as i first got them As for accuracy, my autometer reads 20hg, while my handcontroller for my computer reads 21hg and on full boost my hand controller says 17 and the gauge reads 18. Close enough for my level.
Also a gauge in your car does not necessarily have to be spot on, the reason you have it in there is to keep an eye on boost/vac levels and if for some reason your overboosting a inaccurate gauge will still show you somethings up

db

This is what I got.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetai ... 819&sid=15

Electric, with peak boost and boost warning functions. It auto-calibrates on every start up.

I've had it since 1/2003 and haven't had a single issue with it. All my Autometer gauges are electic and have never had a single issue with them. Also, when it comes to a boost gauge, I prefer an analog (needle) style so I can see if boost comes on smoothly and for easier referencing.