Spark plugs?

smog7

Ive tried searching for a link, but havent found anything.... what should i be using with a stock motor and stock boost?

Gary

For stock boost:
Platinum, NGK BKR6EGP (stock plugs)
Copper, NGK BKR6E (gap at 0.032)
Irridium, NGK BKR6EIX

If you up the boost, get a colder plug, BKR7E.

Gary

6962 or 6097 are NGK's "stock number"
"Part number" is still the same.

untitledfx8.jpg

db

However, everytime I try and order with BKR7E, the folks at the parts stores look at me with confusion. Apparently, they only understand NGK 6097.

theUNYTEDone

i've just picked up a set of the 6097's...they made it seem like they gave my engine a fresh tune-up or something...for about 12 bucks, too! :D

engine feels nice and crisp.

toayoztan

I've always told the parts store either bkr6e or bkr7e. But, just give them either part number or stock number, they'll get you what you need.

Bryan

db

toayoztan":24ch94b5 said:
I've always told the parts store either bkr6e or bkr7e. But, just give them either part number or stock number, they'll get you what you need.

Bryan

Its possible I always get the dimwits, but its also easier for me to remember 6097 than bkr7e.

And Nigel, they are really great plugs. I use them too.

Gary

The only reason I try to use part number BKR7E on the forum instead of stock number 6097 is because it tells you exact info of the plug (if you know how to decode it). You should have both numbers with you anyway when you go to your part store. One for making an order and another to confirm that you buy the right plug.

smog7

Gary":rr4zni7w said:
For stock boost:
Irridium, NGK BKR6EIX

the stock manual says to use only platinum plugs?? are their any benefits of using platinum over the other two? do they last longer and are more expensive?

theUNYTEDone

alltrac7":12qtp87u said:
Gary":12qtp87u said:
For stock boost:
Irridium, NGK BKR6EIX

the stock manual says to use only platinum plugs?? are their any benefits of using platinum over the other two? do they last longer and are more expensive?

they're supposed to be a "100,000 mile plug" but ive found that the ones im running now are much better...and MUCH cheaper.

smog7

ok so im guessing that the Copper, NGK BKR6E would be the best bang for my buck at the moment seeing that i am running stock boost? so i would have to gap them to 0.032 or is this the stock gap itself?

db

I believe the BKR7E's are already gapped for .032, and the BKR6E's should be similar. However, I always make sure and double check the gap prior to installing the plugs.

smog7

are the NGK 6097 only used for higher boost applications or would it be ok to use with stock boost? seems as though everyone likes these more..

Gary

Like I said, quoting is easier than retyping stuff of general knowledge that has been discussed over and over. All I did was typing "choosing spark plug platinum copper iridium" in the Google. :shrug:

db

Most of the DSM info applies to our cars too. I use one stage colder (BKR7E or 6097) and gap at .028 for 15psi on the CT26.

Here's a quote from a different post of mine regarding different spark plug materials and their electrical conductivity (or resistivity).

For those who don't use wiki:

silver: 15.87
copper: 16.78
gold: 22.14
aluminum: 26.50
iridium: 47.1
platinum: 105 <-- :twisted:

smog7

Gary":2dvqmpfw said:
Like I said, quoting is easier than retyping stuff of general knowledge that has been discussed over and over. All I did was typing "choosing spark plug platinum copper iridium" in the Google. :shrug:

then why not instead of having a new member forum, just have a search forum..? i mean since the same questions are asked over and over

Gary

No search forum, but we do have search button and very useful thing called "Google".
I wouldn't called someone with 200+ posts a new member and being treated like a new member.
And I did answer your question, didn't I?

And if you don't like it, that's fine. I'll try not to next time.