Anyone use Seafoam?

SLC Punk

I have been reading numerous posts on one of my 4Runner message boards on how well seafoam works. They basically buy a bottle and per the instructions pour 1/3 into the pcv hose to cycle through the intake and clean it out. They then pour the remaining into the tank to clean the injectors.

I am going to try it on my 4Runner. But I was wondering if anyone has done it on their ST185/165. If you have done it, could you tell a difference? What line would I use to put the seafoam into the intake?

Cormudgen

I did it on my 96 celica once. Didnt notice any difference really. Friend did it on his SR20 swapped 240 that day as well. Again he said he noticed no difference realy. It definetly blows a shit ton of smoke though.

BTW: We didnt pour the remainder in the tank. Just cycled it thru the vaccum hose.

Mark

I did last weekend (in the ST-185), it may have helped a little, but i really didn't have enough left to make much of a difference. It used to help my Subaru out quite a bit when i used it, i'd say it works pretty well for the most part.

illGT4

I used it the other day in the MR2.

Bought 2 bottles. 1 full bottle I dumped in an empty gas tank, then filled it up.

The 2nd bottle I used about 1/3 in the PCV. It choked the engine. Started it, no smoke. hrmmm.. thinking I did something wrong (choking) I did another 1/3 bottle very very slowly throught PCV again. Waited and this time , just a little bit of smoke. I took some pics, but you can barely see the smoke so...

Afterwards. The car def. idles more smooth. But that's about it. I wouldn't say it's bad. In fact I'll probably keep using it.

$4.99 a bottle at autozone.

toayoztan

Okay, reading from the mr2 boards a while back (and having used it myself on my bro's integra and WILL be using on my 185), it helps clean your engine IF it's dirty/carboned up...otherwise, you won't notice anything. Basically, just buy 2 bottles. 1 for your gas tank. The 2nd will be used for your crankcase and through the TB/intake log(forget where the vac hose is exactly). Pour about a 1/3 i believe (read the directions for exact amounts) into the crank (oil cap) 500 miles or so BEFORE your next oil change and run it til you drain your oil.

Use the remaining of the 2nd can to be sucked through a vac hose on your TB/intake log. I forget which vac hose exactly, but the mr2 board will have it. Or you can wait for me to find the pic at my other comp (when i get back to my parent's house). When you do this, have the car on, and keep the car reved at 2000 or so so the seafoam will be sucked through. Then shut the car off, let it set for about 15 mins, then start her up and rev rev rev :D

Bryan

illGT4

toayoztan":3ok8xptd said:
Okay, reading from the mr2 boards a while back (and having used it myself on my bro's integra and WILL be using on my 185), it helps clean your engine IF it's dirty/carboned up...otherwise, you won't notice anything.

Yeah that's pretty much what I got from the experience. My mr2 has low mileage for it's age and I flog it all the time, so I wasn't expecting carbon buildup, etc...

I was just disappointed b/c I had the camera out and got no smoke!

haha..

toayoztan

illGT4":1yi68sgw said:
I was just disappointed b/c I had the camera out and got no smoke!

haha..

Lol, that's actually pretty funny....

Man, i have 170k on my 93 alltrac (yes, 93...can you believe it! I only put 5k of it on the car so far...). I can't wait to see what the hell i'm gonna get! However, I still have my secondary CAT, but i gutted my Primary, so i'm going to have to disconnect the mp from the primary CAT and then run the seafoam through so i don't stuff up my exhaust at the secondary CAT with all that crap coming out of the engine from the seafoam...and yes everyone, REMEMBER!, you SHOULD (not a must) have an open exhaust sytem before doing this, or you may ruin/stuff up the CATS.

Bryan