ct20b waiting to be installed.

Phil-GT4RC":34ks1qiq said:
Standard CT26 at 14.5psi
Conan":34ks1qiq said:
Insanity-74":34ks1qiq said:
CT26 Hybrid
On an ST205?? :shrug:
The CT26 core is stronger than the CT20b and a better base for hydrids

Sure as long as you don't run more than 17psi on it.
Ceramic turbine wheel. Your're right.

But the ct20b has a better spool up & can hold boost to redline much bettern than the ct26.

Denver_whiteST185

TomsGT4":1u63idtn said:
Phil-GT4RC":1u63idtn said:
Standard CT26 at 14.5psi
Conan":1u63idtn said:
Insanity-74":1u63idtn said:
CT26 Hybrid
On an ST205?? :shrug:
The CT26 core is stronger than the CT20b and a better base for hydrids

Sure as long as you don't run more than 17psi on it.
Ceramic turbine wheel. Your're right.

But the ct20b has a better spool up & can hold boost to redline much bettern than the ct26.

If you rebuild it with the right internals, a CT26 can provide just as much power, if not more, than a CT20b. I think the general consensus is that the ATS CT27 makes a little more power than a CT20b, but spools slightly slower.

OlyST185

ceramic turbine really sux, always cracks.
some friend of mine breaked many of those.

for my turbo i got twin entry CT26 with T04E 54trim compressor.

daveryan

Ceramic CT26 here, stock boost.

As I see it, the problem with ceramics is that if it's old, develops enough play, and makes contact, it's gone. Then you just clean out the exhaust and upgrade!

tw2

Yes all JDM's have ceramic turbos. Mine has been going strong at 10psi for 90k miles since new. Poor maintenance is a good reason to go through quite a lot of them. Poor quaility oil, never chaning oil, crap going through intake and through turbo, checking for play every 10-20k miles should pick up a large proportion of disasters before they happen. And replacing them with used turbo's of similar milage without a rebuild, it wouldn't be surprising to keep going through them. But definitely runnning more than stock boost is a sure way to put pieces of wheels everywhere. I plan to run a td05 or t3/t4 or something like that for when i eventually have the necessary mods to turn the boost up.

Ceramic turbo's are fine if you want to stick to stock power levels +/- 3-4psi. I wouldn't hunt one out though, if you found one for a decent price then why not otherwise go for something better or the reassurance of getting your ct26 rebuilt with better wheels in a slightly larger trim even, or just the ct27 and call it a day.

TomsGT4

I really wouldn't say they're bad at all.
You can put down a LOT of power with one of those. Just know where to draw the line.

It's just that you'd be tempting the wrong kind of fate to pull 20psi+ on it.
First imagine the compressor wheel blowing apart in the housing.
Then imagine all of that flying into your intake at 20+ pounds of pressure per square inch.