clutch HP, i mean torque rating** question...

theUNYTEDone

alright, so we all know that stage this and that are rated for X amount of horsepower...as the clutch comes before the rest of the drivetrain, i figured that the clutch HP rating would be flywheel/crank horsepower...is this correct?

which leads me to these questions (please forgive me for being newbish here...)

since my goal is roughly >400awhp, a modest 25% drivetrain loss would give me roughly 600 crank horsepower. do i then need a clutch rated for 600hp?

thanks much!

sleeper

theUNYTEDone":2zyhp1g9 said:
alright, so we all know that stage this and that are rated for X amount of horsepower...as the clutch comes before the rest of the drivetrain, i figured that the clutch HP rating would be flywheel/crank horsepower...is this correct?

which leads me to these questions (please forgive me for being newbish here...)

since my goal is roughly >400awhp, a modest 25% drivetrain loss would give me roughly 600 crank horsepower. do i then need a clutch rated for 600hp?

thanks much!

how do you get 400AWHP to be 600FWHP?

db

theUNYTEDone":3dssu22j said:

Clutches are rated at flywheel torque.

With a 25% loss, 600 flywheel would make 450 wheel horsepower.

CeliKhanh

theUNYTEDone":2468uh8o said:

thanks much!

500 not 600

theUNYTEDone

gah, torque then. sorry...hah, i knew it didn't really sound right when i re-read it. :lol:

Sleeper: i didnt necessarily state that 400awhp=600chp...there has been much debate as to exactly how much drivetrain loss there is with our cars...i've gotten anywhere between 25-30%...therefore, keeping it at 25% is a fairly easy number to work with when doing calculations. (600x.75=450)...my 400 in the first post had a > symbol in front of it.

and SINCE this isn't about HP anymore (sorry about that again, guys)

would anyone happen to have a ballpark torque number with 450awhp? im thinking peak torque to be around 350...? is that reasonable? and if so...should i get a clutch rated at around 500tq? (i'm counting drivetrain loss at 25% in this one, too...

thanks for your patience!

Gary ST165

NiGeL":tdcgbdo4 said:
do i need a clutch rated for 600hp?

thanks much!

no need >>>> unless you are $:twisted:$

450 bhp & 450lbs ft @ flywheel might be a more realistic upper target unless you have lots resources to strengthen and build a (reliable? :cry:) 600 bhp 3sgte.

good luck NiGeL :smokes:

theUNYTEDone

well that was just the thing...the 600 number was going to be at the FW, not the wheels...

i'm PMing with illgt4, and he's got a spec stage 3 he wants to sell...go or no go?

im pretty much an idiot when it comes to clutches. :(

Gary ST165

curious, where did the 600 fw figure come from?

are you aiming to achieve similar results to the Fensport developed cars?
the credit card will need to take a hammering :shock:

i'd hate to think how much $$$$ 600 bhp @ fw costs.... :roll:

theUNYTEDone

since my goal is 450bhp, the crank should be producing about 600. im oblivious as to what the tq reading will be, which is why ive posted this thread...

gah. it seems so confusing now!

Conan

Even if you do build a car with 400 HP to the wheels, which I said would be a laggy biotch, I don't recommend going into lottery with economy clutches. I'd be thinking multi-plate OS Giken or a very reliable single plate. Again, 500+ HP from a 2.0 liter motor is on the overkill side of things for me :roll:

theUNYTEDone

Conan":12froxxb said:
Even if you do build a car with 400 HP to the wheels, which I said would be a laggy biotch, I don't recommend going into lottery with economy clutches. I'd be thinking multi-plate OS Giken or a very reliable single plate. Again, 500+ HP from a 2.0 liter motor is on the overkill side of things for me :roll:

well...to each their own. im sure 1000hp supra owners have the same problems. its just a matter of where you want the power. (yeah yeah, i don't have a supra)

however, i feel that ~400 at the wheels is very reasonable. if anything, i'll have a lower tuned boost setting, then if i need to play, i'll turn it up.

thanks for your tip about the Giken...never heard of that company, actually. 8) i guess that would help that laggy biotchness a tad...

oh, and im thinking of going up to a 2.2, but this decision is dependant on much more research.

Conan

theUNYTEDone":3vq1c39b said:
thanks for your tip about the Giken...never heard of that company, actually
Oops, I'm not sure OS Giken makes a clutch for ST185. I was thinking about Ogura when I said it. Rene (Meurz) has it in his car...

theUNYTEDone

ahhh, Ogura. they have awesome products. i believe they made the first hydraulic clutch for the yamaha Raptor atv...

anyway, i'll check into it! :smokes:

gt4tified

theUNYTEDone":2ek6af86 said:
well that was just the thing...the 600 number was going to be at the FW, not the wheels...

i'm PMing with illgt4, and he's got a spec stage 3 he wants to sell...go or no go?

im pretty much an idiot when it comes to clutches. :(

Yes OS Giken does make a one for the 3sgte....the Ogura or Blitz are also the shiznit!

I was supposed to take that spec clutch from him but I got a killer deal on an ACT stage3 from Sifu...but for the most part, spec clutches are supposed to be great on our cars....the mr2 guys seem to like them also.

I'd say at the price you're getting it at.....run with it!