ST185- rear axle movement and clunking

ruffneck

HIya....so I've noticed a clunk coming from the rear of the car whenever you get on the brakes, at first I thought it WAS the brakes, but under the car on the weekend having a look around, I notice the rear axles have what seems to be alot of in/out movement - and when you pull on the rear axle, I hear the clunk as it moves out. It comes out by about 8mm, don't know if that is normal? The clunk is really metallic, and definitely getting louder and more frequent quickly. I know the driveshafts are supposed to have some movement, but I can't figure out why it would clunk whenever I put on the brakes - why would that cause the axles to pull out and make the clunk sound? ( the rear diff mount is brand new toyota, and urethane filled too btw)

alltracman78

Your diff might be going bad.
If it has play between the teeth, it will clunk on acceleration and deceleration.
If it is this, you either need to replace it or have the lash adjusted.

The driveshafts are supposed to slide in and out.
This is how they adapt to the suspension going up and down.

ruffneck

yo...it doesn't clunk on accel or deccel, just on braking, and you really only hear it when travelling at around walking speed..then it's pretty loud. It really couldn't be the brakes, everything is tight, and no real room for movement?

CDN-GT4

Check out your suspension bushings, it's common for MR2's with worn out radius rod bushings to do that. I'm not sure if the Celica is the same or similar, but it might be worth a check.

ruffneck

radius rod would be control arm? Now we're talking...I hear what you're saying, mine is kinda the opposite...I put in new Superpro polyurethane bushes in there a couple of months back, and come to think of it, the noise started not too much after as I recall...and has been getting louder?? Maybe too much or not enough movement in those bushes..

Stubble

My new favorite bit of advice for clunks is the swaybar endlinks, although you would notice that clunk over bumps, and not just during braking. Still, easy to check - grab the sway bar and try to move it - you can feel free play in the endlink.

ruffneck

good stuff guys, I'll check those on the weekend...keep em coming!! I'm hoping it's nothing too serious....I had sworn no more money on the car :twisted: of course, yeah right.

alltracman78

Put the rear end in the air and turn the rear axles back and forth hard.
If you hear the clunk, it will be either the rear diff, axles, or brakes.

If not [and you can check these first] it could be suspension bushings, diff mount bushing, or rear subframe bushing.

If you just replaced ALL the rear suspension bushings with new ones, they would not be clunking.
Unless you didn't tighten a nut/bolt enough of course.....

wizzards581

mine has 9x,xxx miles and it gives a clunk sound during instant acceleration or deceleration. mechanic said its a worn out diff... loosen? maybe.?