3GSTE non-interference engine?

WarTowels

My Celica GT as far as I know has a non-interference engine, I was wonder if the 3gste is also non-interference. :D

Gary

Most Toyota engines are non-interference.
Interference engines : 1MZFE, 3MZFE, 2UZFE, 5VZFE, and some diesels, ...

___Scott___

I've been told that Toyota engines which use timing belts are non-interference. Toyota engines that use timing chains may or may not be interference.

I'm not 100% sure it's true, but I haven't seen a case where it isn't yet.

theUNYTEDone

can it be safe to say that newer engines are non?

my stepdad was speakng about one of his motors blowing due to a broken Tbelt. he said mine would do the same...but i guess not, after reading this.

are there certain pros/cons of each?

Gary

1mzfe is newer than 3sgte or 5sfe, but the 1mzfe is interference engine. 3sgte and 5sfe are not.
I don't see other pro/con except that the pistons will not hit the valves in non-interference engine when timing belt breaks.

theUNYTEDone

ehh...dont give in to marks of a poorly formed gt4 owner. take care of your car and maintain it correctly.

but of course i knew you were joking. :wink:

eddie_gt4

interesting story: I know one ST185 CS owner who bought his car with broken timing belt... according to him, only 2 valwes "survived" :shock:

Gary

eddie_gt4":12f0ts8x said:
interesting story: I know one ST185 CS owner who bought his car with broken timing belt... according to him, only 2 valwes "survived" :shock:
Does it have stock cam, piston, rod, crank, etc..?

eddie_gt4

Gary":2lwrba9w said:
eddie_gt4":2lwrba9w said:
Does it have stock cam, piston, rod, crank, etc..?

actually I don't know... but that CS seemed to be stock (if don't count custom color :D )
I'll try to find out more about this case