17x9" Sportmax 050 wheels ....

gtfour77

Wow Josh, you have quite a few things on your plate.... Just make sure to get your priorities straight....alltrac always comes first... :evil:

And Steven, keep in touch, I have a few things on my plate also but will soon sell the wheels as I'll need to buy the fn01rc's.......so if you guys want to split up the sportmaxes that's ok with me...;)

gtfour77

I tried a 16inch wheel the other day and it would fit...depending on the wheel design... There is just over an inch of clearance... Hope this helps.

brophats

is that an inch of clearance between the caliper and the spokes of the 17x9's or the rotor cause is looks like you've got a ton of room

gtfour77

The "spoke" clearance is not a problem...it's the "diameter" clearance that matters. (You'll run out of room in the back of the wheel where it will contact the strut housing if you have wrong offset...)
The caliper clearance will also greatly depend on the caliper style...I am running the older style wilwoods as they are nice and thin....

brophats

i just need to know the space between the rotor and the spokes to see if my new calipers will fit i need 3.21" if you could measure for me i really appreciate it.

Demetrius

gtfour77

I actually don't have the wheels anymore...but there was plenty of clearance between the spokes and the caliper...the spokes really "bulge" out on these wheels. I know this might not help....
I am going with 17x10 FN01RC's....

PS: You can look at some fitment pictures on my yahoo albums...
photos.yahoo.com/gtfour77 (new wheels album)

gtfour77

The wheels are sold unfortunatelly, although I don't have the money yet...there is still a slight chance this transaction won't go through. (fitment issues) I'll update once evertyhing finalizes...;)

gtfour77

Ok guys, the wheels are still available for sale...I will take $525 shipped for these anywhere in the states. Remember, these have never been used on the street and only had two sets of tires installed on them. Perfectly straight and only used for autocross...
I will only sell as a set of four for now. I will also include a set of 25mm spacers for the rear and 15mm spacers (H&R) for the front to use with 275 40 17 race tires...otherwise you can fit these wheels on without spacers...(245 series tires or narrower..) Will accept apypal or money order...

exST165

gtfour77, did going to a 275 40 17 do anything to your gearing? I know I should do the math or go to a tire calculator, but I'm just wondering if going to such a big wheel hurt on the track/course? I don't have a lot of auto-x experience but I'm worried about second gear getting too tall to pull out of the slow corners.

TIA,
Thomas

gtfour77

It's really not that bad, just make sure your car is tuned well and it will not be an issue.... The width of the tire makes up for the diameter...;)

exST165

gtfour77, one more quick question if you don't mind: what are your thoughts on the power steering? Some have deleted it and found no ill effects except for parallel parking etc. and increased roadfeel. Others think it would be brutal to run without it through a salom and fatigue would quickly become an issue. Your thoughts on running 10" of rubber in an auto-x?

once again many thanks,
Thomas

gtfour77

Thomas,
I would keep your power steering. I think for drag racing this would be a beneficial modification as you can shed a few pounds and get a better feel at higher speeds but for autocross I would keep the power steering. I am running 315 35 17 tires right now and would not want to try to turn the steering wheel without PS. My PS went out on me at one of the events last year and it was not fun to recover.... In autocross you need as much help turning as you can get.... (I have three other autocrossers here with me and we all agree on this one....;) )

gtfour77

Yes, 315's are pretty big....we'll see this weekend how they perform as it is our first 2007 autocross here in WV. (and 1st event on the 315's....) If anyone wants to make a trip, our site is www.swvrscca.org ...come join the fun. We run every month except Dec due to the Holidays...

gtfour77

Actually I am getting ready to do some bodywork this Saturday...it will most likely not be finished completelly but should be enough so somewhat cover the tires. It will stick out in the rear. I went with a bit stiffer springs in the rear so rubbing should not be an issue. The front fenders will be cut around the edges and then "massaged" upward to accomodate lowering of the car and the wider tires. (the fender lip will be pushed out and upwards...) Hope this makes sense. Once everything is finished a fiberglass mold will be made from each fender to make new lightweight pieces....
As for the hood, I am getting ready to lay her up this evening. Just finished the mold last night so it should be done by this weekend also. I'll have pictures soon.