st185 hks super sqv bov

903SGTE

i just got my hks sqv today and not sure how to install it.it came with the fitting on it to recirculate it back into the intake.do i need to do this or can i run it open??will the engine stall out if its left open?how is everyone else running there bov?? :doh:

935motorsports

You can leave the recirculate fitting on, but not route it in. I think it sounds better that way, personally.

Set the valve to full tight on the screw and you shouldn't have any stalling problems.

If you experience a stumble now and then, set your idle higher to compensate.

T-spoon

If you already have the fitting, no reason not to use it. Recirculating is better when still using the AFM. If you vent to atmosphere, you will run richer and have a much less stable AFR, even if you don't run into stalling problems (mine did occasionally stall with sudden load-idle transitions when open to atmoshpere)

935motorsports

I forgot to mention, if you go to a straight intake pipe, then yes use it. The car "will" drive better.

If you have a stock rubber intake pipe then re-circulation is a bit more difficult and you may as well stay VTA.

On my ST185, I had no adverse effects from VTA on the SSQV other then backfires (when set full tight).

903SGTE

i think it would also be more complicated to recirc. it.i also assume i need to cut that samco hose to fit?

toayoztan

Yeah, you'll have to trim the length of the T-hose to fit between the turbo and IC. Just take your time and shave off a bit at a time til it fits. Remember to trim from BOTH sides to get it even on both sides of the T.

For the Recirculation on stock intake...is it a good idea or a "no no" to just tap the bov recirculation hose into one of the hoses (PCV or that other hose) on the stock intake?

Bryan

903SGTE

do you have a link to his setup.i really dont want to recirc. it but im worried about running problems.

scott

iv got a hks valve on mine and i found it made the car very jittery and allway stalled even after loads of adjusting and even tryed restricors on the vac line so now i have it recirculated but i really miss the sweet noise it made when it dumped it scared all the racers round my area

scott

i was told that it will stall coz of the loss of air that the afm has metered

it has also made it kick out a flame every now an then if im driving hard coz off it running rich

T-spoon

Venting to atmosphere with an airflow meter WILL affect your AFR, there's no ifs ands or buts. Whether that manifests in stalling, jittering, etc. seems to vary extremely widely with many people having no such symptoms (btw, how you drive can directly affect the behavior), but it shouldn't be too much of a suprise if it does happen. At the very least, you're likely to run richer.