Undergaurd Plastic

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Well, my undergaurd plastic is all broken and stuffed, and honestly not really doing much of a job as it is.

Would there be any hurt in removing them? Keeping in mind, covering up all the wiring and stuff hidden under the plastic, and then getting some soundproofing to cover up the inside of the gaurd?

furpo

the plastic that goes under the engine bay stops alot of dust getting into the engine bay. i would leave this there unless you like cleaning your engine bay.

roger

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

furpo":wfwa5ab1 said:
the plastic that goes under the engine bay stops alot of dust getting into the engine bay. i would leave this there unless you like cleaning your engine bay.

roger

i never got it with the car, the engine under panels are long gone. My engine bay doesn't seem to get that dirty.

Im talking about the plastic under the front gaurds.

furpo

my car seamed to fill up with dust all the time. i am driving up gravel roads a lot though.

i would think it would be a good idea to leave the plastic under the front gaurds there as well unless you use some type of plastic sleaving to protect the loom from stones ect

roger

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

furpo":23dltq05 said:
my car seamed to fill up with dust all the time. i am driving up gravel roads a lot though.

i would think it would be a good idea to leave the plastic under the front gaurds there as well unless you use some type of plastic sleaving to protect the loom from stones ect

roger

Yup, of course, i did say i would resleave all the wiring and stuff under the gaurd with think rubber hosing or something, and possibly get some sound deading sprayed behind the gaurd.

I can't see a problem with not having it in there.

TomsGT4

As for the plastic underguard panels that goes under the engine bay, you could risk something bouncing up into the engine bay (even snow&ice). I've heard of crap getting jammed in the belts.
I replaced my underguard panels with that from a 90-93 GTS I got in the scrapyard. Had to customize it a little, but they fit pretty good.
I can't remember how many hundreds of dollars they were new from the dealer. :shock:

DemonCelica

does anyone know if the underguard panels are different with a cs front bumper? i recently converted and the old ones didn't seem to match up so we took them off. i'd like to have them there for purely asthetic reasons but i was strongly advised against using the old ones because of the mismatch.

Rick89GTS

TomsGT4":fcbsjg5g said:
As for the plastic underguard panels that goes under the engine bay, you could risk something bouncing up into the engine bay (even snow&ice). I've heard of crap getting jammed in the belts.
I replaced my underguard panels with that from a 90-93 GTS I got in the scrapyard. Had to customize it a little, but they fit pretty good.
I can't remember how many hundreds of dollars they were new from the dealer. :shock:

Tom, I like your thinking: I did the same thing with my 88 AllTrac; used an 89GTS underguard and modded it instead of paying the dealer $$$. Can't beat a good ghetto fix, especially when nobody can even see it :wink:

alltracman78

I assume your talking about the undergaurds in the wheel well. One note on this, dirt will get in the door where the wiring harness is [hinge], and probably on the inner door panel on the front of it. [did this on my 93].

TomsGT4

Under the engine bay actually. There are originally 2 plastic panels that should fit there.
Not sure how many of you out there still have these?

A short story:
I got the Zebart used car rust proofing a couple years back. They removed these panels under the engine bay (watched the guy pull the panel while as I was dropping off the car) and didn't replace them when they were done spraying. I'm guessing they put them aside & forgot to put them back on the car. I of course didn't notice until a couple weeks later, but when I went back to Zebart I was told that they weren't in the shop & they don't misplace or loose people's things. Ummm, right.
Went to the dealer for an outrageous price for new ones, then back to Zebart & they told me to take a flying leap :x
The only good thing that came out of it is that they did an excellent rust-proofing job.

Anyway, I think this thread was originally asking about the underguard in the wheel well? :shrug: Eh well...

alltracman78

I've had them on all mine, and pulled them off. They get in my way.I don't do much offroad driving tho.I did buy a set a while back with the intention of using them once I got all the engine leaks finished :p
I think I only ended up paying like ~$100 for them.

One thing I did do was took the old ones and cut out the front portion [that goes between the front bumper cover and rad support] and attached them back to the car so it would direct air at the rad, instead of allowing it to travel under the engine.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Thanks for all the replies.

Actually both topics of this thread are very relevent. Because my car didn't come with any front under enginer gaurds. They have been long gone.

I was originally talking about the under the wheel well plastic. And i think ill remove them when the time comes, and make an effort to protect anything it was protecting.

alltracman78

-==L=a=N=c=E==-":2232j7ja said:
I was originally talking about the under the wheel well plastic. And i think ill remove them when the time comes, and make an effort to protect anything it was protecting.

FYI: You will get dirt and sand in the front part of the door.