New goodie: Forge wastegate actuator.

Simba

Well, I was sick and tired of my stock actuator on my CT27. If the cap I had on the second port wasn't blowing off, it was sticking, or just generally being a pain in the butt.

So, off with its head, and in with the Forge actuator. It has a much larger diaphragm, better/bigger spring, and you can take it apart and service it if need be. Plus, it looks cool:

forge1.jpg

forge2.jpg

Early impressions are: It's awesome. Very consistent boost, no spikes, no creep. Highly recommended if you're trying to squeeze every last bit of response out of a CT26.

I should point out that installing it is something of a PITA, as unless you fab a bracket from scratch, you need to hack the old actuator off it's bracket. This is not fun. At all. But it can be done with a sawzall and a lot of profanity.

Denver_whiteST185

Looks very nice simba.

Simba":1b7szl2o said:
I should point out that installing it is something of a PITA, as unless you fab a bracket from scratch, you need to hack the old actuator off it's bracket. This is not fun. At all. But it can be done with a sawzall and a lot of profanity.

Good to know :p

Simba

Conan":39a04v1p said:
Where did you get it (Forge online shop?) and how much was it?

Yeah, Forge USA. It's not a stocked part, so I had to wait ~3 weeks to get it from England. It was around $200 with shipping.

Gary

GT4_CR":jefi6ehy said:
Why does your wastegate actuator has two lines? Mine only have one.
What turbo is yours?
Actuator on CT26 has two lines.
One is connected to the compressor housing.
Another is connected to the T-VSV.

By the way, Simba, what PSI are you running out of the spring?
I'm guessing you don't use any boost controller.

Simba

Alltrac and MR2 CT26's have two ports on the actuator. One is for the T-VSV. Supra CT26's have one.

You have a choice of spring weight when you order it from Forge. I went with the "low" 10 psi spring versus the 15 psi spring, and yes, I use an AVC-R.

More info on the CT27 is here. There's a lot of debate as to which is better. If you can find a good one, the CT20b is probably better. Most all CT26 rebuilds, which is all the CT27 is, toss seals and bearings very quickly.

I got the CT27 under the impression that ATS would stand behind their product, and to some extent they did, but in the end they ended up blaming two turbo failures on me instead of taking care of the actual problem, and so it's a crap shoot either way.

Best advice is to get a real turbo and not waste money on CT26 rebuilds.

GT4_CR

Gary":vzlswj0b said:
GT4_CR":vzlswj0b said:
Why does your wastegate actuator has two lines? Mine only have one.
What turbo is yours?
Actuator on CT26 has two lines.
One is connected to the compressor housing.
Another is connected to the T-VSV.

By the way, Simba, what PSI are you running out of the spring?
I'm guessing you don't use any boost controller.

I have a Supra CT26 :shrug:

Simba

Conan":33m370mk said:
Is it able to hold 10 psi all through the redline in, say, 3rd gear?

Yup. It also builds boost faster than the stock actuator (boost controller turned off) as it doesn't start to open until ~6-7 psi, versus ~3 with the stock unit.

I've never had this kind of wastegate regulatrity on an internally gated turbo.

Conan

Simba":3ssrcmuo said:
I've never had this kind of wastegate regulatrity on an internally gated turbo.
Are you sure you didn't get involved in any marketing deal with Forge? :twisted: