Intake installed, bad idle!

PhilipK

Hi, I just installed an straight intake with the two nipples on it, with a catch can and now the car does not idle right; only idles for 2 secs then shuts off. I ran the hoses correctly, there is two outlets coming from the engine, the first one I ran straight to the intake and the one below that, coming from the crank case, I ran to the Catch can then to the other nipple on the intake. Is this correct. Anything else I can check.

Thank you

MrWOT

You've got a vac hose disconnected. That's what happens when engine has vac under 10inHg. It'll start, idle for about 2 seconds then die. When I installed my CAI i forgot to reatatch the oil breather line and that did it for me.

PhilipK

Well the hoses I had to push on so they are tight and I clamped them down really good. All I did was extend the AFM wires and mounted the AFM on its side and it just plugs in right!

PhilipK

I did, I misread somewhere about that, but I did get a AFM off a Mazda that looks just the same everything. So I guess that is my problem, I was hoping it would not be that. So what AFMs can I get that will work for sure.

PhilipK

Ok, but what AFM with work with it, will I just have to get one off another 1991 ST185, and I take it that will be tuff to come by.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

ilikemycelica":648u66wm said:
Ok, but what AFM with work with it, will I just have to get one off another 1991 ST185, and I take it that will be tuff to come by.

You can have a go at fixing it yourself, but your going to have to beg,borrow,steal one from somewhere.

MrT (Toyota) will rape you a nice amount of money for the AFM, so start looking. Maybe a good time to go aftermarket computer :D

furpo

yes a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of searching. unless you really need to stick with the standard ecu. good luck trying to find an afm. i have one over here in new zealand if you can not find one closer to home.

have a final look around and cheak to see all the plug in the engine bay are pluged in. if the resistor pack with the square plug is unpluged a similar thing happens.

roger

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

i too also ahve an spare AFM here, but im in Australia, which is even further away then the kiwi.

Atleast in america the MR2/Alltrac alliance is much stronger then what can be found in australia. So you'll have a much better time finding one, just start hunting.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

ilikemycelica":13pspbjy said:
Well, how hard is it to ship to the US? and how much are you asking?

as much as the idea of sending it to you. I'd like to keep this one spare.

Honestly, just ask around, you'll find one easily. Espeically ask the guys who have just gone to aftermarket comptuers, im sure they'll have there spare.

RIalltrac

guys I'm having a similar problem lately with a very low idle on startup. I just recently extended the wires to the afm in order to fit a straight intake. the car still runs fine once it gets hot, but it does not like cold starts right now. It idles at 800 on startup and slowly creaps up to like 1100 after 2 minutes. I did not use shielded wire to extend the afm wires, is this where my problem is? I didnt undo the screws, I removed the clip. So no I didnt screw up my afm. Car runs fine when fully warmed up. Any ideas?

furpo

ilikemycelica":5anoegsd said:
Well, how hard is it to ship to the US? and how much are you asking?

i have no idea what they are worth and also no idea how much it would cost to send to the states.

i find it quite hard to beleive there is not one in the states. try sending a message around on the gt4 groups mailing list.

also mine is a jdm afm. i don't know if there is a differnce so it might pay to find that out.

roger