Oem torsen LSD test (Need volunteers)

Simba

CMS-GT4":3umsvory said:
There are ST185 with rear Torsen differential and versions with LSD = Limited Slip Differential.
Codes:

E151F-767 = 5 speed manual with rear Torsen differential.
or
-737/E150F = 5 speed manual with viscous coupling LSD.

This is very strange. To my knowledge, there was never a rear viscous LSD for the AT. Hence, the terminology in that list is odd.

Anyway, I have a 737/E150F code with a torsen rear LSD.

CMS-GT4

That terminalogy is bad. It confused me at first a couple of years ago.

There is no rear VC lsd. It just refers to center VC. Its stupid for totota to state it that way since the 151 also has a center VC.

The only logic I can see behind it was to note after the early 165 models of a center VC.

eddie_gt4

Simba":t9sozpel said:
(...) Anyway, I have a 737/E150F code with a torsen rear LSD.

Simba, may I ask what makes you think that your Torsen is an OEM thing and wasn't, eg., installed by previous owner?

btw, that list is not talking about "rear viscous LSD" (as you've said), it's talking about "viscous coupling LSD"... :|

Simba

eddie_gt4":l9haeyjq said:
Simba, may I ask what makes you think that your Torsen is an OEM thing and wasn't, eg., installed by previous owner?

As far as I know, my diff was never opened prior to me doing it. No silicone, factory gasket, etc.

I suppose it's possible someone tossed a diff in there and just did an especially good job of it, but considering all the horrible crap the previous owner did to my car, I kinda doubt he found mechanical religion before doing the diff.

Simba

CMS-GT4":3q5qwd7n said:
Anyone with a known diff get around to trying the test yet?

I tried mine (known LSD) for giggles.

Spinning the input shaft while holding one wheel, then applying some resistance to the spinning wheel immediate forces the held wheel to move in the same direction. It's very noticable and not something you're likely to mistake, as even when spinning the driveshaft by hand, the force of the torque transfer is enough to yank the stationary wheel out of your hand.

The open diff shouldn't do this, so, it's a pretty good test.

CMS-GT4

I will try it as well in the morning. I do not know what I have, but we will findout the results of how it reacts.

I am glad to hear this works. Someone want to test the reaction on an open diff as well.

bridge47

Easy enough, I once removed my diff plug and using a bright flashlight
was able to see the spider gears on my open diff 93.
I believe the Torsen has helical gears that should be visible as well. You
have to jack up the rear of car and do a little wheel turning to get a good look.

Simba

Actually, that brings up another fairly easy method to check without popping the case open: Rent or borrow a borescope and stuff it in the drain or fill hole.

TomsGT4

bridge47":3kcwk2nb said:
Easy enough, I once removed my diff plug and using a bright flashlight was able to see the spider gears on my open diff 93.
I believe the Torsen has helical gears that should be visible as well. You
have to jack up the rear of car and do a little wheel turning to get a good look.

Ha ha anyone need to change their rear diff fluid?

CMS-GT4

I just did my test. Am I to assume I have a clutch type lsd or a torsen?

When I turn the driveshaft both wheels spin the same way. And when I give resistance the turn the same way.

It is possible, that I have a torsen, cause my rear brakes are sort of sticking giving my rear wheels some resistance.

Either way, when I turn the driveshaft, both wheels turn in the same direction.

BTW: my door has this code.
-737/E150F = 5 speed manual with viscous coupling LSD.

I might not be completely convinced so I may need to look with a scope inside the diff housing or see if I can see the gears through the hole.

CMS-GT4

I drained the rear diff fluid and tried looking inside. I could see one gear, but am unsure what the gear is.

I might have to rent a scope or something to get a better view. Can you even see the helical gears from the drain plug or are they further in?

here is a pic of the plug for reference.

img4831zd2.jpg

bridge47

Gears are visible at the fill hole. Use a small mirror (telescoping ones work best) and bright flashlight. Borescope not required unless you have access to one.

CMS-GT4

Could not get a scope, but I bought a better flash light. its an open diff.

So I will be keeping my lsd. I need to see if toyota has a lsd install kit with all the clips etc...

Cody Mamak

Uhm...

SO, what if my car plate says:

model st185L-BLMVZG
c/tr/a/tm 202 GS10 - 767 E151F

chassis no. is JT164STJ500011860

Do I have a open or a TorSen??
:shrug:

etantshi

According to the code and previous information posted it should be a torsen, unlike mine. No plate, just a sticker: 737/E150F