Gearbox and diff oil

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Gearbox and diff oil

Postby FoRcE FeD GT-FOUR » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 am

wat type of oil do i use in the gearbox and diff in a st185 gt-four?? is it just a synthetics 75-90 lsd oil??? does it have to be lsd??? synthetic?? any one know for sure?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Brad
Rotorua, New Zealand
89 ST185 GT-FOUR
hksevolution@hotmail.com

Image
FoRcE FeD GT-FOUR
Club Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Conan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:11 am

Use the one that the manual recommends.
When in doubt - increase boost.
User avatar
Conan
Established Member
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:38 am
Location: Lithuania

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:18 am

from what ive gotten from the MR2 boards is that 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is the best for our trannies and diffs.
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
User avatar
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3009
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Gearbox and diff oil

Postby eddie_gt4 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:24 am

ST185 GT-FOUR wrote:wat type of oil do i use in the gearbox and diff in a st185 gt-four?? is it just a synthetics 75-90 lsd oil??? does it have to be lsd??? synthetic?? any one know for sure?


owner's manual is your best friend :smokes:

Image
'90 Toyota Celica turbo 4WD ST185 - ex
'96 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205 - now
User avatar
eddie_gt4
Club Member
 
Posts: 516
Images: 11
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 6:21 am
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania

Postby T-Trac » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Denver_whiteST185 wrote:from what ive gotten from the MR2 boards is that 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is the best for our trannies and diffs.


If you want smooth shifts and dont mind blowing up your transfer case, go ahead and use GL-4. We need GL-5 protection in our gearboxes because of the transfer case that uses the same fluid. Most GL-5 fluids are meant for differentials and do not offer any protection for our synchros. Ideally you want to use a 75/90 fluid that protects for GL-4 and GL-5 so that you can have synchro and transfer case protection. I've been doing quite a bit of digging around and it seems that Castrol Syntrax Universal would be a good match, but you cant get it in the US, so I just ordered some Silkolene Silktran SYN 5 which seems to fit our application as well. I wont know how well it works till I try it.
Use GL-5 Hypoid Diff Fluid in differential, do not use GL-4 in diff. Might as well just put water in it if you do!!
just my $0.02
T-Trac
Club Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:17 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:54 am

T-Trac wrote:
Denver_whiteST185 wrote:from what ive gotten from the MR2 boards is that 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is the best for our trannies and diffs.


If you want smooth shifts and dont mind blowing up your transfer case, go ahead and use GL-4. We need GL-5 protection in our gearboxes because of the transfer case that uses the same fluid. Most GL-5 fluids are meant for differentials and do not offer any protection for our synchros. Ideally you want to use a 75/90 fluid that protects for GL-4 and GL-5 so that you can have synchro and transfer case protection. I've been doing quite a bit of digging around and it seems that Castrol Syntrax Universal would be a good match, but you cant get it in the US, so I just ordered some Silkolene Silktran SYN 5 which seems to fit our application as well. I wont know how well it works till I try it.
Use GL-5 Hypoid Diff Fluid in differential, do not use GL-4 in diff. Might as well just put water in it if you do!!
just my $0.02


Maybe we should see what Subaru's, Evo's, and the like use???

I really don't know much about gear oil though. im glad you posted cause it gave me some valuable info (since im spending around $1800 total on my drivetrain right now)
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
User avatar
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3009
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby grip addict » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:31 am

Denver_whiteST185 wrote:
Maybe we should see what Subaru's, Evo's, and the like use???


i know alot of the subie kids use a 50/50 split of valvoline 80-90 and syncromesh. gives em the quick shift of doom and offers... decent protection..

me? just running with 80-90 "durablend"
i need to warn everyone-
ATSAaron wrote:You specifically told Matt that "some kid dumped sand into my motor."

don't let some kid dump sand into your motor.
Image
grip addict
Established Member
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:13 am
Location: kansas city

Postby db » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:15 am

grip addict wrote:i know alot of the subie kids use a 50/50 split of valvoline 80-90 and syncromesh. gives em the quick shift of doom and offers... decent protection..


You know what. Maybe we shouldn't use what the Subie guys use, and just see what the Evo guys use. :evil:
Dave
Black 1990 Celica Alltrac
2011 Ford Fusion SE (Daily driver)
2008 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.facebook.com/ethinos
Image
db
Established Member
 
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:17 am

db wrote:
grip addict wrote:i know alot of the subie kids use a 50/50 split of valvoline 80-90 and syncromesh. gives em the quick shift of doom and offers... decent protection..


You know what. Maybe we shouldn't use what the Subie guys use, and just see what the Evo guys use. :evil:


Thats great :D . im posting this question on a subie fourm and EvoM to see what people think...
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
User avatar
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3009
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby T-Trac » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:24 pm

The facts are:

GL-4: (synchromesh, ATF fluid, etc..) It is great for synchros and smooth shifts but does not offer much protection for extreme pressure and special friction characteristics associated woth hypoid diifs (our transfer case). That is why most high power cars here running this fluid shift great but blow up their transfer case.

GL-5: (Most Differential Fluids) It is great for Differential protection, extreme presure, friction modifiers etc.., But it does not offer any synchro protection and some actually eat synchros, as in the chemical base reacts with the synchro material (brass or whatever) and reduces its lifespan. That is why most people running strictly GL-5 have grinding issued, but never a blown transfer case.

Ideally you want the best of both worlds. There are fluids out there that protect for GL-5 and GL-4 to offer us exactly what our trans needs. People who mixing synchromesh and diff fluid are in essence providing protectoion for GL-4 and GL-5, but I dont think this is the best way of doing it. Do the two oils "blend" together or do they separate like oil and water? Do all of the chemicals in the two fluids remain inert or do they react with one another and change chemical composition? :shrug: There are alot of unknowns when mixing two arbitrary fluids.

To each is own, you make the decision
Just my $0.02
T-Trac
Club Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:17 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Postby gt4tified » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Amsoil severe gear is the shit....but @ $15/quart it will stay on the shelf. I've used mobil1 75W-90....okay but not good for the synchros.

Going to Belray Hypoid full 90 body now...
ST185 JDM GT-FOUR RC- "White Trash"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8264/dynographsmallstretchedmu9.jpg[/img][/url]
gt4tified
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3151
Images: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: Trinidad, W.I.

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:58 pm

Heres my two threads.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=254045

http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

the misubishi guys are saying that we should use Redline MT90 GL-4 and diaqueen (mitsubishi oem diff fluid)

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/prod ... t=0&page=1
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
User avatar
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3009
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:52 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby T-Trac » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Denver_whiteST185 wrote:Heres my two threads.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=254045

http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

the misubishi guys are saying that we should use Redline MT90 GL-4 and diaqueen (mitsubishi oem diff fluid)

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/prod ... t=0&page=1


Just by reading the description of the lancer fluid, I can see that their transfer case fluid is separate from their transmission fluid, therefore you should disregard any transmission fluid advice from them because their application is completely different from ours! I dont know how subaru does their drivetrain, but if the transfer case fluid is separate from the transmission fluid, it doesnt matter what they have to say because we have to protect both the transmission and transfer case with one fluid. If I run Rotella oil in my diesel, should you put it in your engine? No, they are different applications that require different types of protection. We can compare our rear diff to theirs and use similar fluids, even though most of ours are not LSD. :( What am I up to? $0.06? :wink:
T-Trac
Club Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:17 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Postby FoRcE FeD GT-FOUR » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:26 am

so it needs to be a gl-5 or higher rated oil am i right? so i can use a gl6 rated oil? also does it have to be LSD? thats wat i want to know. also wats better in the diff? a 80-90 or a monograde oil???
Brad
Rotorua, New Zealand
89 ST185 GT-FOUR
hksevolution@hotmail.com

Image
FoRcE FeD GT-FOUR
Club Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby T-Trac » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:41 pm

ST185 GT-FOUR wrote:so it needs to be a gl-5 or higher rated oil am i right? so i can use a gl6 rated oil? also does it have to be LSD? thats wat i want to know. also wats better in the diff? a 80-90 or a monograde oil???


Ideally you want a fluid that says that it protects for GL-5 AND GL-4 or mentions transmissions, synchros and differentials in the description with a GL-5 rating. Very few fluids out there say this. I dont know anything about GL-6. I am not sure about the fluid requirements of a torsen diff vs. a LSD, so I am not sure if the fluid has to be LSD rated, but it wouldnt hurt to use one that is just to keep your bases covered. Diff fluid 80-90 or just plain 90 :shrug: I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.
T-Trac
Club Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:17 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Next

Return to Drivetrain Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests