replacing a knock sensor

92AWDToyota

any write ups on this? i searched alrdy but nothing came up. prolly missed it or something. :doh: but the deal is, i was running open boost cuz i didnt get around to connecting my manual boost controller. dumb i noe... but it was only for a couple of days. enuff to blow my knock sensor. well... thats my explaination of wuts wrong with my trac. i was running the car normally and my CEL came on. so im pretty sure its blown. anyways im a dumbass and need a write up on replacing the bastard. and also looking for a used knock sensor to purchase. thx for any info.

C-dubb

The easiest way to get to it is by removing the front passenger side wheel and getting at it through the wheel well. It's a bitch. I would say you're best off getting the ATS adapter and using a GM sensor...it's more durable.

syko says

theres debate whether using the oem KS vs the ATS gm KS. ultimately its up to you what you choose to run on your car. but yeah, your best bet is to take off the passanger wheel and put your entire arm in there to reach it.

heres a pic of it outlined in green.

wtf_is_this.jpg

knocksensor.jpg

alltracman78

ATS sensor reacts to a different frequency.
IMO stick with OEM for this.

Check your codes first.

And a boost controller cannot lower boost below stock pressure.
What do you mean by "open boost"?

gt4tified

alltracman78":zf51imt8 said:
ATS sensor reacts to a different frequency.
IMO stick with OEM for this.

Check your codes first.

And a boost controller cannot lower boost below stock pressure.
What do you mean by "open boost"?

I think he means that he disconnected the TVSV and without boost control, it would boost until fuel cut hit. But even with that, it shouldn't cause the KS to go bad just like that.

I'd agree with the guys and run the codes to see which you are pushing. And btw, you can reset the ecu and it would clear the code. The code 52 doesn't mean that your sensor is fubared, just that the engine detected knock and went into safe mode. Reset the ecu and see.

92AWDToyota

first off i really appreciate ur guys help with this. im such a noob. lol. okay, in retard language, lol, plz explain about how to reset my ecu and run my codes and what not. cuz if i my KS is fine and it just went into safe mode that wud be awesome, cars running really crappy and im not a happy camper. thx alot.

alltracman78

To reset the ECU remove the ECU fuse in the engine main fusebox for 1 min.
Replace. All codes/info is reset.

To check codes, find the diagnostic box [by the clutch master cyl], open, and jump TE1 and E1. Use a SMALL paper clip. You don't want to ruin the pins inside. Turn the key to on and count the flashes of the CEL.
This will give you your code.
For more info
http://www.celicatech.com/93rmsour/1993 ... /fi/fi.htm

gt4tified":egyncpcx said:
The code 52 doesn't mean that your sensor is fubared, just that the engine detected knock and went into safe mode. Reset the ecu and see.

Well not really.
If you get any type of knock monitoring device [like J&S] you will see that the ECU sees knock alot. Most isn't that bad.
52 Means the ECU doesn't see the signal from the knock sensor.

You can reset just in case, but 99% of the time you'll be replacing your knock sensor.

92AWDToyota

code thats showing is code 52. the knock sensor. i bought an oem knock sensor for about an arm and a leg. 179.63 after taxes. anyways... how to install. i have 3 repair manuals that tell me nothing. lol. any write ups anyone?

etantshi

1. remove pass side wheel.
2. unplug kn
3. unbolt knocksensor with 24mm deep socket
4. installation is opposite

alltracman78":2y9437hk said:
gt4tified":2y9437hk said:
The code 52 doesn't mean that your sensor is fubared, just that the engine detected knock and went into safe mode. Reset the ecu and see.

Well not really.
If you get any type of knock monitoring device [like J&S] you will see that the ECU sees knock alot. Most isn't that bad.
52 Means the ECU doesn't see the signal from the knock sensor.

You can reset just in case, but 99% of the time you'll be replacing your knock sensor.

Correct. The ecu will throw a code due to a lack of knock signal. Either your circut has been interrupted, or your knock sensor has stopped responding.

SuperWhite92

More often than not, a code 52 is a bad wire as opposed to a bad sensor. It's worth trying at least, since a wire is a few cents and some time, and a new sensor costs your left arm.

etantshi

I think his circumstances of overboosting would be more consistant with a serious knock condition that would be enough to damage the knock sensor. However as previously stated, a continuity test wouldn't hurt, and it's free.

92AWDToyota

etantshi":20fpz19f said:
I think his circumstances of overboosting would be more consistant with a serious knock condition that would be enough to damage the knock sensor. However as previously stated, a continuity test wouldn't hurt, and it's free.

yea thats what i meant as far as running "open boost". but i wish i had thought to check for a loose wire somewhere but thats just a big DOH on my part. but its okay. i do have the new knock sensor alrdy. i went to try to replace the sensor however i dont have the right socket for the kn. 24mm does not fit so i think im gonna have to buy a 26mm or something a lil bit bigger than 24. after i get the kn install should i reset the ECU once again so the car recognizes the new sensor or wut?

etantshi

Hrmm.. it's been a while since I changed one, I thought it was a 24mm... now that I think about it, it is a 26mm because the 26 is the largest I have in my snap on impact deep set (which is what I use for the ks).

Shaggz00

I think it's a 27mm... to mix everyone up a bit, lol. Believe it or not, I did it with a 8" Crecent wrench the other day P.I.T.AAAAASSSS, haha.

pinoyGT4

imma ride on this thread.. :D

i've been having this problem since i got the car..

changed the KS and still CEL lights up...

i've made a thread about this before and someone advised to run a shielded wire from the KS to the ECU?

how is that made exactly? :D

BriinumsBo

yes, its 1-wire system, it should go to the ecu and grounding is via the block. maybe add some grounding wire from battery to the block to see if that helps.

i got a weird problem. i have some metallic vibration (havent checked yet, its freezing outside :D) at 1700-1800rpm.. at that point the knock sensor throws up the CEL :( i dont mind the safe mode, but i do care for fuel economy :D
vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHeSRCcBKPg