Civic Boy

gpmarzan

syko says":2hlr6ife said:
racing if perfectly fine. its just that if you get caught.. youre obviously not driving fast enough.
And in this case, we're talking about an alltrac, a stock one at that. He'll definitely wont be driving fast enough. :lol:

TexasAlltrac

Ok, so here is my soapbox speech of elder wisdom for the week...

From an old school import street racer (83 celica GTS with a camden SC and 87 celica GTS with tricked out 3Sgte - all back in the 80s and 90s) who spent almost every weekend night for a decade at the "lot" getting races and then heading out to run, it is not worth it.

For years my driving record was toast due to street racing - in fact for almost a decade in both TX and OK I was usually one ticket away from suspension - exhibition of acceleration, reckless driving (165 in a 55 in one case), speeding, running lights, running stop signs, improper lane changes, illegal U-turns, expired inspection, disturbing the peace, etc....you name it, I probably was cited for it.

Besides paying fines the high maintenance costs and insane insurance rates were the immediate downsides.

I was damn lucky to never get the "racing" ticket which in Tx is a felony and would have followed me forever and been a real issue whenever I apply for a job, passport, or security clearance.

But then again, I was even more lucky to have not killed someone by accident. I saw plenty of race crashes, two of them fatalities. I cannot imagine now what the hell I was thinking to have stayed in that lifestyle for so long. I guess it was the "20-somethings" testosterone.

I am not old now at almost 37, but you get to my age and you start thinking about all the things you will miss if you crash and die, or kill someone and go to prison. Street racing is not worth the risk.

That said: Track days and public dragstrip nights are your friend. If you want to take someone on, pay their gas to a local dragstrip on open-night and go at it. Or what I have done now on occassion is challenge someone to a best lap at one of the local racing clubs or a drag at Little River and loser pays the entry fees and gas. Pick your fights with care though.

And if you car is faster, never win by a large margin. Always "just barely" win. Otherwise, no one will want to play with you.

TG - perfect driving record since 1999.

TexasAlltrac

no not to hijack this thread, but this reminded me of one race where I was caught.

I was racing an IROC-Z in my 83 GTS with the camden SC and pulled him. We were out past 120 MPH and then blew by a cop who was on the otherside of a semi so we couldn't see him in time. The cop pulls me over and lets the camero go. I ask him why he did not stop the IROC as well. "Because you were winning" he said. I reply, "Can you write that on the ticket please?".

That crack one got me one of my reckless drivings and a night in the oldest jail in the state of Oklahoma.

TG

Sifu

LOL. Nice one TexasAlltrac.

Let's get to the important part.
- You don't have your license
- He did a "mad swap yooo!"
- He wants to race you in your slow ass Celica
- He heckles and screams "VTEC OWNZ JOO!"
- Jegs stickers...

Don't waste your time. Knowing this idiot he'll somehow cross the center line and crash into you and you'll BOTH be in hot water. Last thing I would want is to die from some other idiot's shotty actions. Forget it. It's highschool, this stuff is trivial when you get older.

Civic drivers always remind me of the ole' PC vs. Mac debate. Mac users were always so fervent while most PC users have seen it both ways. Same thing with Toyota vs. Honda if you ask me... Hell why do you think I stick on this board more than any other board...

Wookiee

A little late but I gotta reply. I must be too old because street racing never justifies the result. Every town has a drag strip close by, weekend autocrosses, and usually a road course within 2 hours. These are the places to put it down. Good rule of thumb... If someone is talking they don't have "it" to begin with. you can speculate which car or driver will do what with what all day. You just gotta enjoy your car, if you don't ditch it and get another.
You may be wondering why I am trying to voice my opinion on my 2nd post... (hopefully I wont get kicked off) my primary car is a civic, a 92 hatch and right now it does destroy my ST185 in all but the snow (just drifted off thinking of all the fun with that thing the past few months-phun intended). I would like to deminish the difference and get the alltrac running the way toyota intended. So where does this put me on the Toyota/Honda argument, nowhere I've had the Honda for 9 years, long before any lame movies or fart cannons. I've had a First gen MR2 for 6. So don't stereotype me because I drive a Civic I might just drive the same thing as you on the other days of the week! :D
If we toss in the 84 turbo mitsubishi I'm just a turbo guy not a honda or toyota guy... its a sickness and an addiction I need help or a bigger garage. :twisted: