Loosing power

Masterkale

Hi guys, i have got a st185 and boosted up the car at 12-13psi. i have got a 3"downpipe and apexi filter. Got new fuel filter, rotor/cap, sparkwires, and grade 6 iridiums.
My problem, is when i run my car a few times at full throttle and push it to the end i`m loosing power. It feels like the turbo is dissapired at that time.

Hope somebody can help me ... Cheers Tom

toayoztan

How many miles on the turbo? Is it just a completely stock ct-26? Around what rpms does this happen?

The stock ct26 (especially the used higher mileage ones) tend to fall flat on their face in the high rpms. I believe that's only partly why it's idealy to shift at 6000rpm when racing stock. In any regards, a trim upgrade or better turbo should fix that problem. Does it feel like it's choking out, you're not pulling anymore, and/or the turbo feels like it's not even boosty boosty? heh If so, that's probably it.

Bryan

ChrisD

How pronounced is the loss in power? Is it gradual, or more all of a sudden? More than likely, you are just noting that the stock CT26 turbo is not very good in the upper RPMs, especially in the taller gears.

Masterkale

I have got about 80K on the turbo.. It hapens sudenly but i still got the same boost when it hapens. It`s only after giving the car a few minutes full boost and high revs.
Think that the engine is getting very hot and maybe my spark plugs will fail?

Terboman

Maybe you got a bad knock sensor that is retarding timing? Maybe the knock sensor is good, you really are detonating and thus retarding timing? If this is happening after you've made a couple of hard runs, maybe you're getting heatsoak?

Just throwing that out there.

Masterkale

You can feel the difference when turbo spools up. but doesn`t matter witch rev ì drive 3000-6000 don`t have the power like a few minutes before. The problem is solved when leaving my car for about 10 minutes. (so it can cool down a little)

Masterkale

Terboman":1hc95a9p said:
Maybe you got a bad knock sensor that is retarding timing? Maybe the knock sensor is good, you really are detonating and thus retarding timing? If this is happening after you've made a couple of hard runs, maybe you're getting heatsoak?

Just throwing that out there.

Detonation you should hear like hammers in your engine isn`t it? Only hear another noise from the exaust, something like when driving away a cold scooter.

CodingParadox

More than likely, it sounds like you're heat soaking. This is going to cause you to get more knock in higher boost/rpms, which your ECU is going to feel, and then retard timing. This is going to feel, to you, like a sudden loss of power, because, well, that's what it is. It's your ECU telling you to stop pushing so hard, because your engine is about to crap out on you. :)

T-spoon

Yeah, very typical for the cars. I dealt with it all summer in a 90 st185, pretty hot down in Houston. I noticed it getting tons worse when I had some bad gas. Once that was burned off, it was much better, but still lost power on hot days after a workout. Play with it on a cold night and see if you get the same thing.

Masterkale

I live in holland .. It`s about 14 degrees here. But think your guys are right .. Time for a FMIC, or waterinjection.