starved rock mr2 meet (anyone going?)

bloodMoney

- She needs a tune up really bad.
- I've got a coolant issue somewhere. She'll overheat and the fan runs constantly.
I thought that I had a BHG, but I changed the oil today and there was no coolant in it... :shoots:

This all not mentioning the cancer issues that she's got.

~bloodMoney

TexasAlltrac

Sounds like what my AT did for a while last year. I had an air pocket in my system somewhere and so I would keep boiling over as they coolant had an area to expand into.

I had the system vacuum sealed and the problem was solved.

bloodMoney

really? did the car sound like the coolant was boiling in the head after you would shut the car off? cause that's what mine was doin today.

- Also, I've got electrical issues (hard starts). I've gone through 3 cheapy batteries since july of last year.

~bloodMoney

TexasAlltrac

Yeah, I would hear boiling. I would also boil over and fill up the overflow tank, spilling a bunch of coolant out and compounding the problem. But once I had the system vacuumed, the air pocket was gone and the problem was solved.

I would not run the car for more than a few minutes at a time till you have that fixed. Taking a cab is easier than replacing a head gasket.

Yeah, electrical issues too. Most of these center around unholy under-hood temperatures from poor ventilation (especially the St165) which toast the wiring after a couple of decades.

I have had a lot of elec issues too. There is an open circuit somewhere that I have yet to find in three years. It will drain perfectly good batteries down after several days of sitting and eat through an alternator about once a year.

I have my engine out at the moment replacing all the gaskets, pumps and crap. While it is out I plan on replacing any questionable wiring and extending the harness around the firewall instead of between the head and intake mani in an effort to keep it cooler. Hopefully I will find the open circuit in the process.

You probably do not want to go to that extreme, but you could start by using a continuity light and begin pulling fuses till you find the culprit circuit. It sounds to me like you have an open or shorted circuit somewhere that is just enough of a problem to drain the battery, but not enough to blow a fuse.

bloodMoney

Well I guess a coolant system vacuum is next on the list after the tune-up. I still have my reservations about this... I just can't believe that it could be that simple.

I don't drive her for more than a few minutes a day. I've got a dd and she's just kinda a semi-project car that I'm trying to get back to dd ability. With the coolant problem, it does kinda restrict the dd prospect...

~bloodMoney

88st165

killer_siller":qjkln551 said:
hell yeah, i'm going! if i don't have school...

hopefully i'll have the 20v aw11 up by then!

sweet i cant wait to see it!

-good luck bloodMoney, hopefully you can get it running right again and maybe by chance make it to the meet. btw i also know a mechanic that always does coolant fills with a vacuum and he swears that he never has any problems with air pockets.

bloodMoney

:smokes: Hey, is there anyone else in the area besides us two? I thought that there was one or two other guys in chicago with me but I haven't seen them around in a while...

~bloodMoney

88st165

i know there is someone on this board that has a red 185 that also went to mvcc maybe a couple years ago, though i forgot his board name. there is also moee24 who literally lives a few blocks away from me but his 165 was involved in an accident about a year ago and im not sure if he still even has it. those are the only two that i know of in the chicagoland area.

i remember seeing a post about a HIN chicago meet a few years back and there were a whole bunch of alltracs, where did they all go?

bloodMoney

IIRC, the board lost a lot of people when they changed to this "new" format. I've been lurking around since '00 and yea, I remember those guys... They might have gone to celica.net, but I'm not diggin' the atmosphere over there.

~bloodMoney

88st165

yeah i dont like it over there either but i do still browse to see if there is any interesting info.

oh well, i hope more people will stumble across this post and chime in, id like to see more alltrac owners come together.

EVcelica

Hey, That sounds kind of cool. I'll probably go up there and bring the trac. Hopefully there will be more alltracs besides the few of us though.

88st165

As of right now i am still planning on going but i have to install my rear strut conversions and W/L swaybar hopefully before the meet b/c my struts are blown to hell. also i have to give my paint a nice go over with some compound b/c when the painter buffed it out he left some noticable swirls plus it has never been waxed yet so i have to do that too.

hows it looking for you guys?

i dont want to be the only alltrac there :(